RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Well I for one can't wait. I've been fiddling with an etched-brass Worsley Works TT 1:100 HST set kit for about the past 15 years and not getting very far, (try coaxing those curved front ends out of flat brass sheet) but now...

There will be some 3mm Society purists who will be up in arms that it's not 1:100 scale and 14.2mm gauge, but I'm fine with that and it will be interesting to see how it matches up against my Continental 1:120 stock. Have joined the online club, will be cashing in the premium bonds and pre-ordering. :^)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Interesting development. Please can someone point me to one of those drawings that shows the outline of a loco in different scales overlaid? I am trying to get a sense of how much bigger than N gauge TT1:120 is? Just curious!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 37114 said:

Interesting development. Please can someone point me to one of those drawings that shows the outline of a loco in different scales overlaid? I am trying to get a sense of how much bigger than N gauge TT1:120 is? Just curious!

Have a look at the Hornby catalogue, there is a comparison in the first few pages for track and locos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Lots of examples here 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope that this works well for Hornby. Having looked through the information in the catalog there are some interesting choices but I do wish that Hornby did not have to keep radius 1 track for some small locos and radius 2 and above for everything else. Why could they not have just binned radius 1 and started from radius 2 and above. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Here's one I did a while back showing OO, TT and N

OO-TT-N.JPG.36e3b7969b9088357c72a1c84c29659d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

50 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Or another illustration of 00, TT and N:

OO-TT-N-.JPG.3a722bf71ab55239c99bacd53faedbe8.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Train sets

tt1002m_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 train set

The Scotsman train set (with and without sound)

The Easterner train set

The Scotsman Digital train set

So are the sets slightly simplified versions of the main releases like in many OO sets? Considering the loco is £145 and coaches are £32 each it’s a big saving. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had yesterday to mull this over, I've decided to leave it alone. I have an OO layout in planning that fits a space I have available and a large built-in wardrobe containing enough models (50%+ of Hornby origin) to stock it several times over.

Also, looking at the models, OK the scale/gauge is "correct" but, set alongside OO equivalents, the wheels look much coarser in proportion to the rest of the loco. Since OO went finer, I've found the overall appearance an acceptable trade-off. EM requires double the minimum radius of r-t-r OO if you want to run the kind of locos Hornby most likes to sell.

The Tillig couplers are well-proven, but I can see where those who don't like the look of them are coming from. In my book, handsome is as handsome does and I'd probably leave well alone if I did get involved. Dapol Easi-shunts are an obvious alternative for those who want something neater, and I presume magnetic couplers for fixed rakes won't be long in coming. 

Whilst I consider that only Hornby could get away with what they have announced, there's no guarantee they will get away with it. Their market research must have been conducted at least a couple of years ago; quite possibly pre-pandemic, and circumstances have changed an awful lot in the meantime.

SK's interview gave a distinct impression that "The Plan" assumes that large numbers of new entrants adopting the new scale will dominate sales, rather than "insiders" switching to any great extent.

However, the current economic situation makes it hard enough for most people to continue activities in which they already participate, let alone get involved in a new one. The TT:120 sets are keenly priced against their OO counterparts, but they aren't "cheap" in absolute terms. 

Consequently, it seems that Hornby are likely to be reliant on established, financially secure enthusiasts to provide a greater proportion of demand than they have budgeted for. In short, will enough of "us" divert enough of our modelling budgets to buy enough of "it", without such diversions being from Hornby OO purchases? 

Overall, I fear that outside factors are stacked up against the success of this launch in ways that Hornby cannot possibly have conceived at the outset. 

Whilst it's "not for me" I sincerely wish Hornby the best of fortune in this bold venture, but I sadly fear that won't be enough and that the group's long-running game of financial snakes-and-ladders is set to continue. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Tidying up
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There is a three page spread about Hornby TT in the November issue of Railway Modeller.  It mentions that the Hornby track is code 80.  

If I go down the TT route I think I would probably use the Peco code 55 track. 

Edited by irishmail
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As an ex-N gauge modeller I always longed to model in 00 for the wider range of models, more substantial size and the detail of the stock. Holding a Hattons 66 or Accurascale Deltic still blows me away with the detail and solidity of the things. And since I'm not getting any younger, scratch building of scenic buildings and locomotive maintenance are much easier.

If TT had been available might I have been tempted to switch to it instead? Not in 1:120 as I feel that the size is too close to N. And N has a much wider range to choose from. For those who do jump to TT, I hope that it proves to be a success - but I'm not sure that Hornby's 'railroad' level of modelling would do it for me.

Edited by curlypaws
Grammar
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

and I'd probably leave well alone if I did get involved. Dapol Easi-shunts are an obvious alternative for those who want something neater,

Is there a mention of NEM pockets anywhere? I haven’t seen it in anything so far but it makes sense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Or another illustration of 00, TT and N:

OO-TT-N-.JPG.3a722bf71ab55239c99bacd53faedbe8.JPG

I assume that the middle loco is TT3 (1:100), Pete? If so for anyone looking the new version are TT(1:120) so will be slightly smaller. There are photos for comparison purposes between 1:120 models and British N 1:148 on the photo size comparison thread in the TT120 section of the forum.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the decision to not supply to retailers is a massive error from Hornby. I can understand the economics but to cut out their retailers, many of whom have supported them for many years is a mistake. 

Most modellers unfamiliar with the scale and size of stock will wish to see these at first hand, to understand how they compare to 00 and N. We are denied that at this time. 

You can look at pictures all day long or try to get to an exhibition to see the Hornby stand but for the majority, the easiest access to a new product is to walk into a retailer and see it for yourself, see it run and handle it. 

No doubt Hornby will have a large presence at Warley but for me, the sheer size and drama of getting there is off putting. As a result I've not been for many years and frankly, I'm not so curious to go there just for that. 

Hornby's choice of prototype is also a bid odd. Do people really want large express engines ? The trainset brigade will be fine but what about the modellers ? Sure, I see the 08 and possible J94. ( Both previously mentioned by Heljan as being under consideration as it happens ) but what about the middleground ? 4F, J15, 700 and a Dean Goods or maybe a Class 20 or a 25 ? Even a Black 5 or K mogul...S15, Class 37 etc..........

Don't misunderstand me, I'm intrigued by the opportunity this scale offers and can already visualise an exhibition layout or two...........but I want to see and handle a few examples of Hornby's releases before any commitment is made. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hornby's choice of prototype is also a bid odd. Do people really want large express engines ? The trainset brigade will be fine but what about the modellers ? Sure, I see the 08 and possible J94. ( Both previously mentioned by Heljan as being under consideration as it happens ) but what about the middleground ? 4F, J15, 700 and a Dean Goods or maybe a Class 20 or a 25 ? Even a Black 5 or K mogul...S15, Class 37 etc..........

Answered your own question there, the initial launch is all about getting it out there so the "trainset brigade" are the ones it is aimed at, because they are the ones that will buy in larger numbers initially. I doubt RMWeb members will constitute a large percentage of sales, especially as so many have felt the need to say that they aren't interested in it! So perhaps the choice isn't odd!

As for the rest you need to read the rest of the catalogue, for a start a Black 5 is mention in Phase 2, no doubt others will come along in due course.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

After having given this some thought I'm still frankly puzzled as to the logic of all of this end of the day.

I get that it is absolutely brilliant news if you were planning to go down the TT:120 route or have already gone down that route as more choice etc going forward.

... BUT for those though of us who have large scale collections in either N and/or OO I'm just not convinced it appeals. If I wanted a couple of HSTs smaller scale than OO I would simply go to Dapol and purchase a few N ones which are compatible with what I currently own already - No need for new track / rolling stock etc or if I was happy to run something slightly less prototypical length then purchase a couple of Hornby OO ones (Expensive as is but again no need for new track etc).

Hornby I feel really need to 'sell' this to people who have no need for TT:120 but have some spare money to 'want to try it' so ultimately, I would probably only consider purchasing having seen it in the flesh first aka in a model shop and then walk out having impulse purchased one of the starter sets ...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I assume that the middle loco is TT3 (1:100), Pete?

Yes, but close enough for a rough comparison, I also have an OO and TT 1:100 class 50, so looking forward to adding a 1:120 one to the set when it comes out.

• Like 1