RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Castle looks legit.

It's not the newer 00 version as it's too basic and isn't the old Airfix version either.

Jason

The magazine actually states they are “placeholders” and not actually TT120 models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I was wondering if TT8037 might actually be extendable — I.e a pice of track whose length may be varied (within limits). There is one such in the Tillig Modellgleis range.

Well the Hornby Setrack is the Tillig track sooooo…..😉

23 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I mapped out the starter-oval + trackpacks ( i think) in any rail and they came out like this:

image.png.ae2a803db4fed3de63a10027832abacd.png

not much more than your 3x4

It does work out quite well as a minimalist trainset.

Not much more than my 2'10" x 4' board, but I don't have the extra 8" in length and 4" in width, otherwise that might be doable, though I'd price compare the track packs with individual track pieces...

Also, I didn't indicate power feeds - and your inner oval hasn't one either...

Finally, a baseboard 3'x4'8 is quite a size in the flesh.  As it is, I'm wondering where to keep my slightly smaller one when Its "done".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I mapped out the starter-oval + trackpacks ( i think) in any rail and they came out like this:

image.png.ae2a803db4fed3de63a10027832abacd.png

not much more than your 3x4

like that layout, nothing prototypical but you have a parcel bay, siding and in the top right to make a nice scene, with enough to have a through station as well if you wanted.

• Agree 1

I suspect the 66 is priced lower than the 50 because they expect it will be one of if not their best money makers, and knowing what we know of Arnold quality I don't think we have much to worry about as regards what its quality will be like. That, at least, is one model they can't cut corners on, and will have to do it to the quality expected by modellers on the Continent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

- and your inner oval hasn't one either...

That's because... in the TT track packs that Hornby "are selling" there are no power tracks!

Yes there needs to be another power track, and I'd hope Hornby realise that before shipping the track packs...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Not exactly—most are similar but the points are different to those available from Tillig, and Tillig have no Setrack curves greater than Hornby's R4 (which is Tillig's R3—Tillig start counting the radii from 0 instead of 1).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Not quite, it's reportedly made by Tillig, just as their 00 track used to be manufactured by Roco before they started making it out in China.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Although the OO track is/was nothing like any range that Roco themselves ever made.

The tooling is now used by Bachmann Europe for their track. They even have the same reference numbers, albeit with 36- prefix not R!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 08/11/2022 at 20:46, 009 micro modeller said:

For me this is one of the (slightly oblique, admittedly, and not relevant to RTR) advantages of TT3 over TT120 - narrow gauge modelling.

Or you could use the 3mm Society14.125mm gauge, and model 1:120 5'6" broad gauge. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, teletougos said:

Or you could use the 3mm Society14.125mm gauge, and model 1:120 5'6" broad gauge. 

Or use EM track to model Brunellian Broad Gauge in TT:120.

Ok, EM is 0.22mm too wide, but its not that noticable.... 🤔

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

I suspect the 66 is priced lower than the 50 because they expect it will be one of if not their best money makers, and knowing what we know of Arnold quality I don't think we have much to worry about as regards what its quality will be like. That, at least, is one model they can't cut corners on, and will have to do it to the quality expected by modellers on the Continent.

Well if they are using Arnold (China) to manufacture the Locos they will be excellent

55EF5A9A-60E0-497C-B0CF-25CAA860725C.jpeg.c1e216272e54dc2ae86deb6f76dba043.jpeg

but the retail costings will need to be revised or cause a stir over the channel, this one is over £208 rrp, the steam Locos are all hovering under £300.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Not quite, it's reportedly made by Tillig, just as their 00 track used to be manufactured by Roco before they started making it out in China.

Yes, it was reported on here (at the show) that SK himself said they just changed the Logo on the sleeper bottoms.

If that’s not true then I retract.

One thing I wonder with what has been shown so far, is whether any of the Hornby TT stock has spoked wheels? 

Reason I ask is most N spoked wheels look quite bad. Mostly, they have metal tyres with an inner plastic rim as part of the spoke insert, and the rim together with the metal tyre, results in the spokes being too stubby and the tyre way too thick.

Peco's look better - their spoke wheel was moulded entirely from plastic. 

Edited by teletougos

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, teletougos said:

One thing I wonder with what has been shown so far, is whether any of the Hornby TT stock has spoked wheels? 

Reason I ask is most N spoked wheels look quite bad. Mostly, they have metal tyres with an inner plastic rim as part of the spoke insert, and the rim together with the metal tyre, results in the spokes being too stubby and the tyre way too thick.

We really don’t want to go back to all plastic wheel sets 😱

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, teletougos said:

Not Hornby but there do exist spoked wheels in TT on the Continent that are lovely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We really don’t want to go back to all plastic wheel sets 😱

Just looked at the BRM magazine and there is an (admittedly prototype) image of an A3 60084 "Trigo" where the crankpins are on the same side of the wheel as the balanceweights. The model had not been fitted with valvegear at this time.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Just looked at the BRM magazine and there is an (admittedly prototype) image of an A3 60084 "Trigo" where the crankpins are on the same side of the wheel as the balanceweights. The model had not been fitted with valvegear at this time.

Somebody (or several) have mentioned the placement of the counterweights.

The production versions will be perfect.