Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

I believe that the threshold for duty, etc is £135 (that includes P&P).  Above this figure the retailer is supposed to remove the VAT but you then run the risk of extra tax and handling charges (or, looking at it another way, there is a chance that it will slip through VAT free, if you're lucky...).

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Heljan and Accurascale seem to be the worst culprits here.

To be fair (and balanced) we’ve made one loco that had some Bits detach that should in hindsight have been user applied. We also delivered our A class with working hubs without a single part detaching. Perhaps a few more locos delivered would be fair before making that assessment:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, McC said:

To be fair (and balanced) we’ve made one loco that had some Bits detach that should in hindsight have been user applied. We also delivered our A class with working hubs without a single part detaching. Perhaps a few more locos delivered would be fair before making that assessment:)

All due respect, it was not a few bits, it was allot of bits and it was more than one or 2 people. Every time you handle the Loco or run it you always wonder what you will find missing.

the really positive is the deltic is a stunning model and your support is good, although I do feel sometimes AS belittle the problem, as with my biomass models “just shave a bit of the detail off” was what I was told.

7 hours ago, gc4946 said:

This is my entry into TT:120.

I bought a Tillig starter set from Modelbahnshop Lippe for about £115 including postage.

My primary reason for buying the set is its track. Its curved pieces are 310 mm radius. There's also a pair of 166 mm straights.

Included is a PKP Cargo Traxx diesel plus three wagons. Hovever over time my future collection will primarily be of British prototypes.

GEDC1075.JPG

hi there,

good idea. After reading your post I did the same. I’ve used that German shop before - they are great. I went for a different start set though - the BR212 with pair of ‘Silberlingen’. I went for that one also because it comes with regular Tillig track rather that the ‘bedded’ kind. From what I can see the radii are identical to the forthcoming Hornby track - and I just can’t be bothered to wait for Hornby’s starter sets. I plan to expand with more Hornby track packs when they show up. 

Kind wird of warning about your lack of import duty costs thus far - that shop uses FedEx and I know from being a regular customer - they always send the tax bill separately about 1-2 weeks after the parcel is delivered. So do keep an eye out in the mail.

i hope you enjoy the new set!

Thomas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

All due respect, it was not a few bits, it was allot of bits and it was more than one or 2 people. Every time you handle the Loco or run it you always wonder what you will find missing.

the really positive is the deltic is a stunning model and your support is good, although I do feel sometimes AS belittle the problem, as with my biomass models “just shave a bit of the detail off” was what I was told.

I understand but I didn’t say a few, rather I said some. Some deltics had some parts off. You can read the reviews on our website to get a feel for the volume that did not and our other loco delivered thus far had no such issues. My point was not to belittle but simply state that as a ‘baby’ four year old business that’s given customers two locos, one of which had some

issues we’ve learned from, it’s hopefully a little early to say we have ‘form’ for bits falling off models? Ignoring too the large six figure volume of wagons we’ve already made which for the most part arrived intact too :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, seeseerider said:

hi there,

Kind wird of warning about your lack of import duty costs thus far - that shop uses FedEx and I know from being a regular customer - they always send the tax bill separately about 1-2 weeks after the parcel is delivered. So do keep an eye out in the mail.

Thomas.

According to my invoice, the train set cost Euro 128.61 including postage, but without tax. 

So I guess they'll invoice me for the tax due soon.

9 hours ago, gc4946 said:

This is my entry into TT:120.

I bought a Tillig starter set from Modelbahnshop Lippe for about £115 including postage.

My primary reason for buying the set is its track. Its curved pieces are 310 mm radius. There's also a pair of 166 mm straights.

Included is a PKP Cargo Traxx diesel plus three wagons. Hovever over time my future collection will primarily be of British prototypes.

GEDC1075.JPG

Same as me except I went for the DB version, got it about two months ago and very impressed.    My eventuall TT:120 layout will definantly be rule 1, with mix of European and UK stock. My railway!  😀

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Sets/Freight+Train+Sets/Tillig-01448/gb/modell_313355.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McC said:

I've been picking up door bangers off the layout from my 20 tonners every show they've been to- shunting always finds the bits that need better glueing.  One set only of the wagons and so far eight bangers glued back with stronger glue....  I think, (mind I say I think) I must be nearing the end, and only one banger has escaped completely.

The chauldrons get their first outing at a show next April but one has already got a broken greedy board, just from being handled and examined by club members....

Hopefully the TT will have a few of the more delicate parts moulded onto the body.   SK says that TT is for the average user who wants to run their trains.  They will need to be much more robust than OO and N to fit that category.

I got out of US N scale when I started getting very nice locos with handrails so fine that it was extrtemenl difficult to get the packing piece out from behind them, after which first touch and they snapped- one Atlas loco arrived with its handrails stuck to the packing piece with paint. That one went back - an arm and a leg to post it back to the States...

Les

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Hopefully the TT will have a few of the more delicate parts moulded onto the body.   SK says that TT is for the average user who wants to run their trains.  They will need to be much more robust than OO and N to fit that category.

Les

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/Hornby-tt-model-prototypes-examined/

At the very least their carriages and most wagons have moulded on handrails and door grabs.

However the LNER Toad brake van has separate handrails. 

2 hours ago, seeseerider said:

hi there,

good idea. After reading your post I did the same. I’ve used that German shop before - they are great. I went for a different start set though - the BR212 with pair of ‘Silberlingen’. I went for that one also because it comes with regular Tillig track rather that the ‘bedded’ kind. From what I can see the radii are identical to the forthcoming Hornby track - and I just can’t be bothered to wait for Hornby’s starter sets. I plan to expand with more Hornby track packs when they show up. 

Thomas.

Can i get a link to the set you bought?

• RMweb Premium

On the Accurascale Deltic, mine arrived with some tiny black bits in the box that had detached. The fact that I haven't even found where they detached from, let alone notice their absence, indicates that their absence is irrelevant and a non-issue.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2022 at 20:49, Les1952 said:

I'll put a new Easi-shunt in tomorrow to see if the droop is because the pocket is oversized or whether I just picked a coupler that had been squashed into an undersized Farish NEM pocket..

The nem pocket is nomally two pieces, a socket inside a pocket (or vice-versa I'm never sure) but i've found I've occasionally had to take the inner piece out and turn it upside down so as to get a straight coupling when using easi-shunts,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I do think there is a legitimate argument about balancing ultimate detail with operability, but rather than 'either/or' I see no reason why it couldn't be 'and'. I collect brass HO models, and getting the things out of the box can be scary, never mind running them. At the opposite end of a spectrum we have the old Lima tooling that exists as Hornby Railroad and with everything in-between. I don't think it's so much a question of whether models are too detailed or not detailed enough but finding the right product for the right market. I recognize the Accurascale Deltic needs careful handling but for me it is worth it. Equally I have a lot of much simpler models which I am pleased with, I am quite open minded. Accurascale have gone for one extreme, the Hornby TT models look to be somewhere about mid-scale, nice detail and finish from what I can see but made to be handled and suitable for running on a layout without needing to worry about bits coming off. I suspect that for most people the Hornby TT compromise is better, but there is a segment of the market that would rather accept some fragility to maximize detail, neither is any more right or wrong than the other and it's a matter of personal preference.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't complain about the AS Deltic's, because I waited too long.... 

About parts falling, my Hornby Dublo Centenary Duchess of Atholl has almost more parts who came of than pages in this thread.

And at the time it was my most expensive model, packaged in the same way the Deltics and new 9F's are...

So please, more Deltics! Or send me the parts, then I'll make my own 😜

• Funny 2

It used to be Heljan who got stick for bits that fell off their models like autumn leafs. I always used to unpack new ones on a clean white pillowcase, just to spot the bits. I also use the same technique when removing the bodies to fit DCC controllers, its difficult to hold them without dislodging something!

The thread drift is, of course, due to the lack of Hornby TT:120 product for people to unbox and armchair critics to pick over.  I'm still waiting for the Membership Pack to come tumbling through the letterbox (35 days since I joined, and counting....) so I pop in every no and then to see if some new development has emerged, but recent posts have concentrated on Tillig TT trainsets, which are ok but Continental, and Accurascale Deltics, which are out of scale as far as TT:120 is concerned. Now if Accurascale could do a TT version...

Oh well.   TTFN!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SeanTT said:

Can i get a link to the set you bought?

thanks to the other user for posting the link.

yeah, for those folks who are planning to use the Hornby track, and are also into Continental prototypes the Tillig ‘Advanced Track’ - as they call it - ‘starter sets’ are the way to go because the track geometry is identical from what I’ve researched - at least the first three radii are the same - 310mm/353mm/396mm. Also the straight lengths match exactly (based on the 166mm regular length). The Tillig starter sets come with an oval of the smallest radius not the 2nd (like Hornby’s). So you could get one of those sets now and then merge it with a Hornby set if you want to get two ovals. I imagine the track will come from same factory. Just the buffer colours are different. The switches are a bit of an unknown - the tilling product numbers for the motorized switch in their sets doesn’t seem to exist anymore - and I can’t see dimensions etc for the piece anywhere(!)

also Tillig make some really nice looking ballasted track bed. I’m planning to use that on the new Layout too. In theory that will also fit the forthcoming Hornby track. 

So there is plenty to get going with now while we wait for Hornby. 

• Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, andythenorth said:

every thread someone will mention bits falling off an Accurascale Deltic

I preferred the spoof ‘Irish Deltic’ thread for April Fools’ Day: 

Of course (as that thread has somehow reminded me), if you wanted to you could have both 00 and TT on the same layout for a bit of false perspective - these ones are small, and these ones are further away…

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Round of applause 1

When I lived in Orpington the Children's Shop had an oval of Tri-ang TT brown base track inside an oval of Tri-ang grey base track. A Transcontinental diesel switcher hauled some colourful goods wagons on the outer track while a Jinty hauled a couple of maroon suburban coaches round the TT gauge track. People put 6d in a slot to watch them go round.  There was false perspective for the tracks closest to the shop window but the effect was lost at the back of the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We went to the Hornby Visitor Centre yesterday afternoon and unless I walked past it without noticing, I couldn’t see anything relating to the new TT range at all. 

I wasn’t expecting to see anything in the museum section but I was hoping to see some samples in the shop area. Perhaps they don’t have enough prototypes to go round at the moment and are saving everything for Warley. 

I would have thought a display of some sort would have been a good idea in the Visitor Centre. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Oh for the love of Brexit!

Back to that old issue again.

I placed a couple of TT pre-orders and, despite my delivery address being in France, the final price still included VAT. 

I had already contacted Hornby about this and they replied that UK VAT would be deducted, in line with my delivery address, and I would pay French VAT upon arrival.

Then someone in this thread pointed out the following stipulation in Hornby's own TT/general Support section (I suppose this applies to all of Hornby):

"As of Monday 5th July 2021, all VAT and duty fees will be included in the final price you pay when you place your order on our website, meaning no additional fees when your order arrives."

So I contacted Hornby again and they still replied that I would be paying French VAT on arrival (there was no indication of VAT being deducted in the pre-order total, in fact it said "including VAT").

As it happens, my interest is in the 37s so a way off yet, I'd just pre-ordered some HST power cars to check quality, etc.

Pre-order cancelled! Until the situation becomes clearer, I'm holding off my TT purchases. I guess things will be clear by the time the 37s come out!

The introduction of TT and its correct scale/gauge got me interested in reviving those nostalgia years before I moved to France. I suppose I could contact Hornby again with the above quote but I might as well wait and see as regards quality and the introduction of sound-fitted models before making the effort...

Sigh!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

From Hornby's website:

At Hornby, we comply with 1st July EU VAT simplification rules. This means that the final price you pay for your purchase also includes your delivery country’s VAT/IVA rate and import duty costs. We also pay the local VAT direct to your government. This means you can await your order’s arrival with peace of mind knowing there will be no surprise charges or fees upon delivery.

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403093130770-New-improved-and-easier-ordering-from-EU-countries

Not only TT.  However, even then it is possible that you have to pay VAT in your delivery country, if the paperwork (oh yes, more red tape...) isn't complete or correct. Hattons are always very helpfull, haven't ordered from Hornby yet. I don't know if any other company besides H and H are EU VAT registred?

• Like 2