RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

The 50s retired in 1991 ish ? , Hornby model in 2005 so I’m not sure “ a few years “ is valid or the idea of them getting their first job ;) unless they were 7 year old enthusiasts when the 50 s retired .

2316 on 26th March 1994 it all ended.

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/90s/940326pt.htm

Hornby announced its class 50 in 2003. If you were 15 in 1994 you were probably graduating around this time… plus anyone older in the above video would be a fair game to start replacing that old Lima junk.

So here in 2022, you can replace your entire 1980/90’s collection of every significant class of locos, stock and trade it for a few 50’s mk2e’s, a blue 08 and an MGR in TT.

Or you can swap a few Hornby 50’s for Accurascale ones and keep everything else.

The other possibility is a secret unknown group of middle aged enthusiasts who have not bought any model railways and are just itching to run a 50 with MGRs in TT.

As it stands I think we are a decade from TT being relevent to the 2010’s enthusiast, and obviously already be out of date with enthuiasts of the 2030’s by that date… even some 66’s could be going for scrap in the next decade, i’d expect some 67’s to head to warmer climates.

Am interested to see if TT has an annual 10% price rise weve seen from Hornby the last few years. That might stem these green shoots very quickly.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

As it stands I think we are a decade from TT being relevent to the 2010’s enthusiast, and obviously already be out of date with enthuiasts of the 2030’s by that date

Why? I have only marginal interest in railways *anywhere* on the planet from after I was born... almost everything I would ever want to model is from before my time. And I'm not alone in this, I know a number of under-40 modellers whose primary interest is somewhere before 1980...

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

if the GBRF 08 with over 15 errors on it, is meant to be an evangelist for converting a whole new market of modern image fans to TT in the future its fallen flat footed of the mark. With nothing relevent for it to shunt, and no accompanying models, I think its going to be a long slow up hill journey for the missionaries to win converts to modern TT.

n EP, but confidence is low in modern image models in OO… and cyniscm is a friendly partner.

WHICH GBRF 08?  The production versions haven't been shown yet......

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’d be interested to see what drive mechanism they give to a new tooled TT co-co diesel… will it be a nod to Lima or a nod to Accurascale ?

Try looking at the Arnold range- not a Co-Co diesel but a Co-Co Electric.   To get sales on the Continent they would most likely copy that.

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It seems many of you ignore the preservation scene, perhaps to justify your views that Hornby have got it "all wrong"... Plenty of 08s and 50s knocking around on various lines, not to mention the 50s that also appear on the mainline from time to time and 08s I see from the windows of the Voyagers as we travel around the country, perhaps not as rare as some people are making out... Lots of long posts saying nothing (but largely negative)  starting to appear again, perhaps Dix120 was right, I'd hoped we'd moved on from that...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

On 15/12/2022 at 11:43, natterjack said:

And  what else might one suggest for potential world wide compatibility (sales)? The only regular UK scale achieving this to any extent is 7mm /1ft  which  also happens to match  an established international standard for diecast, but which is also  at odds with O Gauge  scales in many major markets. HO is the obvious answer but that one has already been tried and hit the buffers on being too close in size to OO, and in any event both share the same issues of size versus new build/future domestic space.

British (and French) 0 scale at 1:43.5 is slightly different from the slightly more common European scale of 1:45 but it doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to worry any of the continental 0 gauge modellers I know. American 0 is 1:48 which is slightly different again but one doesn't normally mix European and American prototypes except on test tracks.  I'm not sure what scale the American manufacturer MTH built their European  prototype models to. FWIW 1:45 is the most accurate scale for gauge but the departures from scale aren't that noticeable in the way that they are with 00, TT-3 and British N.

I finally got my TT:120 members' club stuff from Hornby yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's a case that the target market associates toy/model trains more with the steam locos which they see in films and preserved railways than they do with the EMU's/DMU's they see on the modern railway.

Maybe to fully appreciate a class 800 or Voyager you have to be an established enthusiast whereas the average 'person on the street' appreciates steam locomotives more.

Just thinking out loud.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

On 15/12/2022 at 21:52, Ravenser said:

Anyone with a smartphone has internet access. (Most people under 30 seem to use their phone instead of a laptop)  If you can't afford internet access you can't afford 200 quid for a trainset.

A mobile phone contract is running at £20-30/month at the lower end - so £240-360/year

You do spout some spurious information!

I have a smartphone and my monthly bill is £6.77

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Meh. I pay £10 each month for a Vodafone bundle with 7GB on it. Don't even get close to using it so it rolls over, but the most you can have on it is 14GB. Phone is only a cheap one from Argos. Does for me.

Any way back to trains. ISTR there are still about 100 08s knocking about on the mainline with over 70 preserved. I know there are at least four within a couple of miles of me.

At least two at Alstom in Ditton, normally one pottering about at Speke Junction and one at Allerton. There may be more hidden in sheds.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Any way back to trains. ISTR there are still about 100 08s knocking about on the mainline with over 70 preserved. I know there are at least four within a couple of miles of me.

Yup, the 08 is a cracking choice of Hornby's for first diesel.  Any choice of first set of liveries will always be wrong of course, because you can't do them all.  Though BR Black or Green perhaps should have been one of them.  Still, we'll get that later, probably in a train set fairly soon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

You can buy a lot of TT120 stuff for the price of the latest iPhone, and all the kids seem to have them.....

A lot of them have mum or dad's previous latest iPhone which isn't quite the same thing.  But people do throw obscene amounts of money at having the latest phone these days regardless of other financial challenges.  Never spent more than £100 on a phone myself and never seen much of a need to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Um... Anyone notice the now obvious mistake?

2550 with 4472's tender?!?!? 🙄

Luke

FS_1.jpg.828247627c98e5ec766e7619d2e06d88.jpg

Is it a pre production model pic as the tender body isn’t on properly either. 
If not no worries, it’s ‘rare’ so will be worth a fortune on eBay 😆

• Like 1

So, moving on.  I have the Easterner on order and of course have not modelled in TT or in fact anything LNER BR/ER at all.  I would have liked a green 08 to shunt the Mk1s with but no matter.  I will not be building a roundy layout (once was enough!)  So thoughts turn to filling my 10' shelf with a Minories + FY.  6' scenic + 4' FY.  I would include the goods shed option too as I have a 2' width.  A Jinty would be welcome too!

Just Sunday morning musing while watching the game.......

• Like 4