RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

.  Is the tender permanently connected to the loco?

No, there’s a connecting cable that unplugs and see fig 6 to uncouple.

C4D776C7-AEB6-42A3-B2EE-3390300AE4E8.jpeg.5966fe528e2dea2c1496018eaa53be5a.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Does the loco have pickups in addition to the tender?

A17F5976-238E-45D6-B131-DB30BD199AFA.jpeg.80f9d1947645bcbc57338d9c2dd011df.jpeg

I haven’t investigated which are but I can’t see any pickups on the front or rear truck so I assume it’s just the main drivers and tender. 

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Worsley Works - "I can do it for you buet cannot give a date as I will need to fill a new 18" x 12" sheet"

You can't rush Allen, Luke! That's his normal way of working, he takes orders and when he can fill an 18"x12" sheet he'll do the etch. You just have to be patient. I've had to wait 6 months or more in the past!

Edited by Hobby
spelling
  • Funny 1

I just got an email from Hornby called "An update on your pre-order".

Imagine my excitement! Was it to inform me that my "Easterner" set was on its way?

No, it was just information about the allocation of Hobby points for existing pre-orders.

Well Done Hornby!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I just got an email from Hornby called "An update on your pre-order".

Imagine my excitement! Was it to inform me that my "Easterner" set was on its way?

No, it was just information about the allocation of Hobby points for existing pre-orders.

Well Done Hornby!!!

Yea I also opened it thinking "Is my Scotsman in the post?!?!" and was a bit disappointed!

But the discount on future locos to go with it is very welcome 😁.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I finally received today the track items that were "released" just over a week ago. No points, and no half-straight as yet. Each type of item separately packed. I hadn't been told they were dispatched. They were delivered by EVRI—is this a change in policy perhaps due to the RM strike?

If Hornby intend to continue to make all TT:120 items online-only, they really need to be able to combine orders. I'm surprised that their system doesn't allow them to do so to start with.

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

You can't rush Allen, Luke! That's his normal way of working, he takes orders and when he can fill an 18"x12" sheet he'll do the etch. You just have to be patient. I've had to wait 6 months or more in the past!

I'd imagine the rush will start once TT120 is in people's hands - or perhaps once you can buy individual coaches and therefore a conversion becomes possible

Worsley also do a 63'6 BR Mk 1 suburban side (so donor could be a Mk1 corridoer vehicle) and various corridor Mk1s not featruring in Hornby's announcement. I'd expect a demand for Mk1 TSO /SK sides.

Once the coaches are available , that etched sheet might fill up with a rush .....

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 00:25, Michanglais said:

Thanks Luke!

I tried an 'experiment' yesterday.

I figured OO has been on sale on the Hornby site all through the Brexit process and, although I suspect most modellers on the Continent would head to Hatton's and Rails, some must still buy via the Hornby site.

So, I went over to the (much hated by me!) OO section of the Hornby site, still logged in with my EU address as default address, and tried to place a pre-order... Same issues as with the TT section. I was told I qualified for free UK delivery (!), the VAT was, I presume, UK VAT, etc. etc. Same as my attempts at pre-orders for TT. So, I thought "maybe it's the 'pre-ordering' that's the problem", so I placed an order for an in-stock item. Same results. 

This is all with a very prominent header on the site claiming "EU Delivery Updates, improved, easier ordering from the EU". Talk about a slap in the face.

So, this time, I contacted Hornby 'customercare', as opposed emailing from the TT section of the site, in the hopes that they would have people with more experience of OO orders from EU States. I was very polite (that took some doing!) and indicated all the issues I'd had trying to place orders for TT - postage included/not included, VAT without indication of country (also sometimes included, sometimes not), absolutely no mention of Customs Fees, the contradictory responses I was getting when I sent messages - the whole shebang. I couldn't help dropping in that I'd bought from Hatton's (who are VAT registered in France) with no issues and so questionned the 'no retailers' policy. I understand (I think!) Hornby's reasons for their website sales only but it was just too tempting to let it pass. 

So, let's see what kind of response I get this time...

I sort of get the impression that Hornby are not catering to the EU (people ordering from other 'third countries' seem to be having no issues) yet there must be loads of British expats who have retired to Spain/moved to the EU to work pre-Brexit who would love to get in on this new offering. I can't imagine it's a market so 'negligible' that they could afford to ignore it and, as someone posted, getting EU enthusiasts interested in BR could really be a thing (especially if some of the comments I've seen on European forums are anything to go by). 

Just as an aside - sometimes, when I try to go to parts of the TT site, I get 'privacy issue' warnings from my Avast antivirus. Now, I think it was when I joined the TT club, I was asked for my credit card details and they are still being held by Hornby. I don't like this so I tried to 'erase' them through my Account but I'll be damned if I can find any way of doing it. I think I've looked everywhere feasible but is this 'allowed' - maintaining someone's credit card details when they don't want them held? Anyway, I mentioned that in my message to 'customercare' and asked them to erase them. I'd much rather enter my credit card details individually for each purchase when carrying out online transactions. But that's a whole other issue...

Sigh!

Perhaps it's something at your end, or France in specific is the issue? Just saw reports on the German TT forum of people receiving notifications of payments being deducted from their CC, and of shipment numbers, etc, so seems like sales to the EU are going ahead...

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If Hornby intend to continue to make all TT:120 items online-only, they really need to be able to combine orders. I'm surprised that their system doesn't allow them to do so to start with.

In my experience, even if they group pre-orders into one package, they still charge separate shipping for each item, and you have to claim back the excess shipping cost over the phone. Hornby probably would not qualify as a Tier 1 dealer.😀

• Funny 5

Has anybody looked at their shipping box, specifically the sides?

If I am reading this correctly, I have set 599 of 828.

I wonder who has set #1.

Not being an expert on UK equipment, I wonder if anybody has measured the models to see how dimensionally correct they are? What are the prototype dimensions for the passenger cars and the locomotive? 

20221220_3_box_side_2.jpg

Edited by Dix120
Spelling and extension.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Dix120 said:

Not being an expert on UK equipment, I wonder if anybody has measured the models to see how dimensionally correct they are? What are the prototype dimensions for the passenger cars and the locomotive? 

It's something I'm waiting to check out when I get the items of rolling stock I've ordered. From the photos I've seen they seem to be quite well proportioned despite the use of NEM standards which will automatically make the frames further apart than they should be. Hornby seem to have done a pretty good job of disguising this if they are otherwise correctly to scale. SK has made a big thing of saying they are to correct 1:120 scale so I wait with anticipation to find out for sure.

Edited by HSB

14 hours ago, Hobby said:

Well my last communication with him was 30th July so it shouldn't be long now!

I'm just a little surprised I haven't heard anything from him since July. I half expected a "I've had quite a bit of TT120 requests, so whilst I'm at it is there anything else beyond the MLV you'd be interested in?". I know there is at least on other person here on RMweb who has asked about TT120 and seemed to get a bit of a brush off...

I'm sure extra sides form Mk1's that could use the Hornby Mk1's would go down well...

Luke

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Allen has always eventually fullfilled my slighty odd orders but given most go in the gloat box  chest for a while after delivery not a issue

for interest what Bogies / roof do you intend to use ?

Initially I was going to use a Rue d'Étropal resin Tyneside Motor Luggage Van but with the sides and ends from Allen as metal always looks finer than resin.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-br/3d_printed_sg-br-epb-emu.htm

Now I would expect to take a Hornby Mk1 and butchering it to fit. The trailing bogie (8'6") will be the standard BR bogie, the power bogie would probably be a Tillig / Roco DR Br 202 diesel which has a prototype bogie wheelbase of 2300mm as opposed the the MLV 2337mm. I might not change the side frames as it is more important that it works than it looks right (and the practicality of scratch building a correct bogie frame without it looking like a pigs ear is unlikely!)

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Diesel+Locomotive/Diesel+Locomotive/Roco-36336/gb/modell_379476.html

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Diesel+Locomotive/Diesel+Locomotive/Tillig-04599/gb/modell_313396.html

Luke

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Initially I was going to use a Rue d'Étropal resin Tyneside Motor Luggage Van but with the sides and ends from Allen as metal always looks finer than resin.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-br/3d_printed_sg-br-epb-emu.htm

Now I would expect to take a Hornby Mk1 and butchering it to fit. The trailing bogie (8'6") will be the standard BR bogie, the power bogie would probably be a Tillig / Roco DR Br 202 diesel which has a prototype bogie wheelbase of 2300mm as opposed the the MLV 2337mm. I might not change the side frames as it is more important that it works than it looks right (and the practicality of scratch building a correct bogie frame without it looking like a pigs ear is unlikely!)

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Diesel+Locomotive/Diesel+Locomotive/Roco-36336/gb/modell_379476.html

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Diesel+Locomotive/Diesel+Locomotive/Tillig-04599/gb/modell_313396.html

Luke

Best of luck with that although it may be a expensive option  ( Worsley full etches include floors and ends in 2mm do not know about other scales )

so may be worth waiting to see whats is included

me Im planning on my  419 been pushed/pulled unpowered  by a CEP just thinking if the head code box needs powering

Edited by nick_bastable
more info

Excellent work on Hornby's part sorting out my issues with placing pre-orders from France. 

Someone's suggestion of getting directly in touch with Simon K. worked wonders - instant testing by Hornby, phone call with the webmaster and I'm now able to place pre-orders with the assurance that they are DDP and, should the French Post Office/Delivery Service add on charges they shouldn't, Hornby will sort out reimbursements. 

Now I've got my Tillig concrete-sleepered, pre-ballasted track sat between two Kato Unitrack display tracks in HO and N awaiting the arrival of a large logo class 50. 

As I live in a small, European, city-centre apartment, snap track is incredibly practical when there's no room for a permanent layout, for when you just want to watch the trains go round or display single items. Once weathered and rusted, it doesn't look half bad. I may not use it on future shelf-layouts/dioramas (moving next year and no idea what space I'm gonna have) but it definitely serves a useful purpose. I'm not on a commission - honest!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Michanglais said:

Someone's suggestion of getting directly in touch with Simon K. worked wonders - instant testing by Hornby, phone call with the webmaster and I'm now able to place pre-orders with the assurance that they are DDP and, should the French Post Office/Delivery Service add on charges they shouldn't, Hornby will sort out reimbursements. 

I contacted Simon directly when my brothers' A1 2550 (Blink Bonny) arrived with 4472's (Flying Scotsman) tender top. He's organising a replacement.

We shouldn't have to go via Simon but I'm v.pleased it has worked for you too. now if they would just do something specific for the French TT market ... Est 231D anyone?

Luke

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Best of luck with that although it may be a expensive option  ( Worsley full etches include floors and ends in 2mm do not know about other scales )

so may be worth waiting to see whats is included

me Im planning on my  419 been pushed/pulled unpowered  by a CEP just thinking if the head code box needs powering

Noting will happen until I get the etches and see what there is/ isn't. My concern is getting the roof profile correct, but I realised this morning (after your e-mail) that perhaps could use the ends as a template for the roof profile? And the diesel chassis would give me power trucks for 2 models if I wanted.

In terms of headcoads I've been in touch with Lousie at Modern transport Graphics (model.graphics@btinternet.com) who do SR late headcodes for 73's/33's. They are the most accurate I've found so far (and their are some dire ones out there!)' Louise has scaled them down for me so that they fit my Lincoln Loco 33 body (unfinished until I can get the chassis working as I want) and I'm intending to use them on the MLV as an when it is ready...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154862609150?hash=item240e87e2fe:g:uMkAAOSwoTJenDAH 

What livery are you planning for your MLV? I'm going for Jaffa!

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens

Ahem!

I'm just going through the TT:120 section of Hornby deciding what to place pre-orders for...

Has anyone else noticed that the Classes 50 and 66 are now expected for 'Winter 2024-25' !?!

If this is the case, what of the phases 3 and 4 diesels? (Sorry, haven't looked at steam.)

As an era 7 & 8 modeller, will I have to content myself with an 08 to shunt Mk2s and a couple of HSTs for the next two years? (or more...)

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Michanglais said:

Now I've got my Tillig concrete-sleepered, pre-ballasted track sat between two Kato Unitrack display tracks in HO and N awaiting the arrival of a large logo class 50. 

As I live in a small, European, city-centre apartment, snap track is incredibly practical when there's no room for a permanent layout, for when you just want to watch the trains go round or display single items. Once weathered and rusted, it doesn't look half bad. I may not use it on future shelf-layouts/dioramas (moving next year and no idea what space I'm gonna have) but it definitely serves a useful purpose. I'm not on a commission - honest!

Kato Unitrack is a superb product. I use it for similar reasons for my Japanese N models, it's incredibly user friendly and a high quality product. Many serious models deride such track but I think it is suitable for much more than the 'trainset' market, in Japan Kato and the similar Tomix track system (also superb, but less readily available outside of Japan) are the choice of modellers and are used to splendid effect to make some wonderful layouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

Maybe, though I think it more likely that they are under promising so as not to get peoples hopes up (and a barage of social media moaning if they don't arrive on time!). Time will tell!

To Michanglais's post!

Edited by Hobby
Another post made at same time.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Kato Unitrack is a superb product. I use it for similar reasons for my Japanese N models, it's incredibly user friendly and a high quality product. Many serious models deride such track but I think it is suitable for much more than the 'trainset' market, in Japan Kato and the similar Tomix track system (also superb, but less readily available outside of Japan) are the choice of modellers and are used to splendid effect to make some wonderful layouts.

I think Hornby missed a trick here. If the idea is to make for people who don't have room for a permanent layout, such as myself, kato/tillig track is much easier to put together for an afternoon than Hornby track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tartaruga said:

I think Hornby missed a trick here. If the idea is to make for people who don't have room for a permanent layout, such as myself, kato/tillig track is much easier to put together for an afternoon than Hornby track.

I agree. Not only is it easier, points are electric and easy to use powered, the ballast lists the track away from the floor and shields trains from the vagaries of whatever's on the floor (very handy if you have carpet) and it's surprising how the ballasted appearance helps the imagination, even if it is a roundy-roundy on a bedroom floor.

• Like 4