Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, RateTheFreight said:

Hopefully this means a RTR NGG16 Garratt is a distinct possibility! 

I really really hope so. It's my number 1 most wanted model. Unfortunately the kit is now out of production, not that I have the skills to build one. So hoping and praying for a RTR one to come along. I think with Bachmann making the Double Fairlie and both sorts of Hunslets, as well as the Baldwin that the odds of a NGG16 must be quite high. Maybe sometime next year they'll suddenly appear like the Fairlie and Hunslet have. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I really really hope so. It's my number 1 most wanted model. Unfortunately the kit is now out of production, not that I have the skills to build one. So hoping and praying for a RTR one to come along. I think with Bachmann making the Double Fairlie and both sorts of Hunslets, as well as the Baldwin that the odds of a NGG16 must be quite high. Maybe sometime next year they'll suddenly appear like the Fairlie and Hunslet have. 

I’m in the same boat. Would absolutely love one or more not just for their domestic potential but the ability to model SAR too. I’m sure I’d heard somewhere on the grapevine that one of the manufacturers had been to scan them but can’t find any formal reference to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CazRail said:

Ive always had a urge to model Porth Penrhyn, now I've got an excuse to...

Work-worn Linda for me!

Where was that photo taken in the Bachmann video.  The one with the standard gauge steam loco.  Would it have been Dinas junction ?

31 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Where was that photo taken in the Bachmann video.  The one with the standard gauge steam loco.  Would it have been Dinas junction ?

That would be Port Penrhyn. The standard gauge and narrow gauge ran parallel into the harbour.

7 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

That would be Port Penrhyn. The standard gauge and narrow gauge ran parallel into the harbour.

That would be a nice location to model then. 

I guess NG and SG also interacted at Dinas junction as well as Minffordd and Blaenau Festiniog - obviously not with Penrhyn locos though !!. 

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

That would be a nice location to model then. 

I guess NG and SG also interacted at Dinas junction as well as Minffordd and Blaenau Festiniog - obviously not with Penrhyn locos though !!. 

And Port Dinorwic too.

Charles preordered, and if I have the cash spare when they land I'll add the others. I still ave a board with Port Penrhyn laid out in 3mm scale. With the Hornby 2MT on the way and my existing 4F I think a Port Penrhyn diorama is a must. A Dundas Charles on Fleischmann chassis was the first 009 loco I ever made so fitting that it should be on the way. Guess I need to add a Nesta to my pre orders now too! 

• Like 2

My wife told me about these new models as they were announced.  She also gave me permission to get Linda and Blanche BUT they MUST be 2-4-0s with tenders and green as running on the Ffestiniog Railway.  So Bachmann, how soon will the preserved versions of these two engines be available?  (I do note that others have stated interest in these variants already)

1 hour ago, knitpick said:

My wife told me about these new models as they were announced.  She also gave me permission to get Linda and Blanche BUT they MUST be 2-4-0s with tenders and green as running on the Ffestiniog Railway.  So Bachmann, how soon will the preserved versions of these two engines be available?  (I do note that others have stated interest in these variants already)

You won’t get an answer to that from Bachmann. However, it’s encouraging that Gary mentioned that the tooling is capable of producing the later versions, which you have probably already noticed. You might try your wife with Gary’s line that the present-day versions will be subject to demand, therefore it will be important to buy a current version to ensure that the project is a success. 😇 You may wish that she would agree to one of the models recently announced without underhand persuasion but be grateful that she takes an interest. Many wives are downright hostile, insisting on buying foolish things such as food and gas instead.

• Funny 1

Decided to go for Linda with sound. It was a toss up between her and Charles but Linda won out. The recent posts on faceache from the Bristol area group of the FR society helped me decide. https://www.facebook.com/bristolareagroup

They've been posting images of Linda running from Porth Penrhyn to the quarry in 1962. In the condition Bachmann's offering is supposed to depict. I think there could be options for a little more weathering enhancement based on the pictures 🙂

For those wanting later FR versions, why not get Charles now? That will show Bachmann there is demand and when you get the later versions of his sister's you'll have a full set 😅

If I can, I may pick Charles up later on too!

27 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

You make that sound like only Charles has the firebox flicker. Pretty sure thats on all of them 😁

Kind of a shame they hadn't designed that for the Fairlies. At least they are pushing what is possible.

The motor's in the firebox on the Fairlies, and the DCC gubbins in the ashpan, no spare space for anything else going on in there. Charles does seem to be popular! 

• RMweb Gold

I've already pre-ordered a Charles as I saw the original on one of my visits to North Wales a few years ago ..... and as one of my rules is that if any loco that I have seen is produced in model form I have to buy one of the models when they appear.

A Blanche will be purchased if Bachmann produce a green-liveried tender version as that loco was seen by my late parents when they visited North Wales many moons ago, Mum didn't stop talking about it for ages.

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

You make that sound like only Charles has the firebox flicker. Pretty sure thats on all of them 😁

Kind of a shame they hadn't designed that for the Fairlies. At least they are pushing what is possible.

😆 I didn't mean it like that. I meant the firebox glow made sound the 'only' option.

I'm 99% sure I've seen a video where someone has retro fitted firebox glow to a Fairlie. Must have taken some doing though.

16 minutes ago, Markn said:

😆 I didn't mean it like that. I meant the firebox glow made sound the 'only' option.

I'm 99% sure I've seen a video where someone has retro fitted firebox glow to a Fairlie. Must have taken some doing though.

John G at Digitrains has fitted firebox glow and working lamps to his own Bachmann Double Fairlie. The normal Digitrains sound project needed to be 'modified' to enable this and there was a a lot of work required to the model. Looks and sounds great.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

They've been posting images of Linda running from Porth Penrhyn to the quarry in 1962. In the condition Bachmann's offering is supposed to depict. I think there could be options for a little more weathering enhancement based on the pictures 🙂

And a bucket.

9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'd best nip down the studio and take some proper pics for the BRM review but I couldn't resist a phone snap.

Hunslet 2.jpg

Hunslet 1.jpg

First impressions? Wow!

I do like the brass effect for the dome probably the best I've seen on any RTR product.

Does this mean that the big hunslets will beat the little hunslets to the market? They seem to have gone very quiet despite some advanced samples being shown

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, ovbulleid said:

Does this mean that the big hunslets will beat the little hunslets to the market? They seem to have gone very quiet despite some advanced samples being shown

They'll probably be on the shelves around the same time, maybe separated by a few weeks at most. The Quarry Hunslets are on their way at the mo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So Ive gone ahead and pre-ordered myself a Linda. My first 009 item, and to be honest, never expected to be getting anything 009, but with it being so local, it's a must have!

Ive got an idea to model the Hen Durnpike crossings in Tregarth area of the 'mainline', but Ill have to dig out the video for my inspiration!

Edited by CazRail

23 hours ago, No Decorum said:

You won’t get an answer to that from Bachmann. However, it’s encouraging that Gary mentioned that the tooling is capable of producing the later versions, which you have probably already noticed. You might try your wife with Gary’s line that the present-day versions will be subject to demand, therefore it will be important to buy a current version to ensure that the project is a success. 😇 You may wish that she would agree to one of the models recently announced without underhand persuasion but be grateful that she takes an interest. Many wives are downright hostile, insisting on buying foolish things such as food and gas instead.

To add to my previous comment on Linda and Blanche, I was going to get Charles and possibly the original Blanche - but I daren't let my wife know these plans.  Also you should note that my father-in-law had significant involvement with the Ffestiniog - hence my wife's interest (many holidays at Porthmadog).  So the Harbour station buildings are also on the list (OK a bit off topic for these Hunslets but relevant in context). 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1