Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

I was planing on picking up one of these at Warley. But seeing how popular they are I’ve jumped in and preordered an analogue Charles. Rails of Sheffield are already sold out of sound fitted Charles and  Linda. Seems that Bachmann are on to a real winner here. 

Gonna gamble that someone will have one on a stand at Warley, but really really really want ‘Charles’. I’ll probably pick the two ladies up too, but only when they appear in FR guise - I have fond memories of both of them from childhood trips to the FR

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 14:41, nightstar.train said:

I really really hope so. It's my number 1 most wanted model. Unfortunately the kit is now out of production, not that I have the skills to build one. So hoping and praying for a RTR one to come along. I think with Bachmann making the Double Fairlie and both sorts of Hunslets, as well as the Baldwin that the odds of a NGG16 must be quite high. Maybe sometime next year they'll suddenly appear like the Fairlie and Hunslet have. 

There is a 3d printed bodyshell for an NGG16 available, unfortunately I don't have the link to hand.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

There is a 3d printed bodyshell for an NGG16 available, unfortunately I don't have the link to hand.

Aye, there is. But I looked the other day and it doesn’t seem to be currently available. Plus you need two Farish 08s to supply the drive train, and the need to rebuild them with pistons and valve gear. It’s about £300 for the parts alone. If someone can make a RTR one for less than that they’ll be sold out in no time. 

The backwoods miniatures kits are fetching up to £500 on eBay. There’s obviously demand for a NGG16. 

• Like 1

Well that is that then. All ideas of eventually doing a TT layout in DCC sound are abandoned! By the time manufacturers get round to doing an area of my interest, I'll be dust and in anycase I have it all covered in OO.

Initially my 00-9 layout was going to be only DC as I thought it would be hard to get a small 0-4-0 loco sound fitted. And Boom, we have one with Firebox glow too.

So the Fairlie will be converted and I'll increase the eventual fleet of 00-9 locos from 6 to 8. 4 under plain DC (Heljan's Baldwin, Pecos Prince, small Hunslet and another TBD..) 4 under DCC (Bachmann Fairlie, mainline Hunslet, the tender version and a Baldwin).

Charles has been ordered....

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Markn said:

That looks fabulous 👌 how does it run?

I gave one a really good run yesterday and I can say 'extremely well indeed'. For added Welshness there was a dragon overseeing proceedings. Must get the pics done!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

On 04/11/2022 at 15:35, big jim said:

I’ve ordered one, charles as I like the lining, looking forward to this unexpected announcement arriving

Will have to get a bucket for the front though 

Charles had a different sanding arrangement to Linda and Blanche whose were added later and seemingly of little success hence the use of the buckets. The model of Blanche (accurate for 1934-1936)  correctly has no sandboxes. The review in the Collector Club magazine notes Charles is actually 1mm too long while the models are fitted with red and yellow leds in the firebox - on dc only the red works but on dcc they can be set to flicker

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok on running when I got home I noticed a couple of tight spots that weren’t apparent on the shop test circuit and unfortunately they are quite pronounced on starting sometimes so mine will be going back for a replacement. 
It looks fine at linespeed but it’s not really acceptable for shunting and on some starts the lurch is quite pronounced. I wondered if it was contact at first but I put my finger in front and you can feel and see the two tight spots in the third shot. 
I tried running in for an hour each way but no improvement obvious as these clips were taken afterwards. 
Apart from that it’s superb looking and sound. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Markn said:

Apart from those tight spots, which are a shame, the actual movement and motion look great. It sounds really good too. How is the firebox flicker?

Everything else is superb and the flicker looks fine, the tightness is only apparent at very low speed but for a industrial loco that will do a lot of shunting not acceptable. It’ll have to wait the rest arriving as they only delivered one of his sound order so far. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

To elaborate on my posting above, sourced from the Bachmann Times article the two year accuracy of Blanche is that until 1934 it did not have full cab backsheet while in 1936 it received the blue lining instead of what Bachmann have shown as a light grey; officially that is described as chocolate but photos appear to show a light shade hence Bachmanns interpretation.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Haha... I was wondering if it was smaller than all the other RTR 00-9 to date. And maybe as small as those Thomas range ones...

It’s the big Hunslet so it’s about the same as the rtr Skarloey locos but bigger than the quarry Hunslets arriving now. 

• Thanks 1

Fresh out of the box 'Blanche' posed on my slate quarry scene, the model is a little tight straight from the box but nothing that shouldn't iron out with running in.

Phone photos so the quality isn't great.

IMG_20221114_194304728_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221114_194149748_HDR.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1