Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

• Moderators
On 03/11/2022 at 11:36, No Decorum said:

it’s encouraging that Gary mentioned that the tooling is capable of producing the later versions, which you have probably already noticed.

A further clue sits in the decoder fitting section of the instruction leaflet with sections for locos with and without pony truck.

IMG_20221104_121234.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

That bottom right diagram also looks like it includes a tender connection ;-)

And the open back cab! Did they ever run as 2-4-0’s without the tender? 😉 That’s quite likely Linda as there’s no tender cab. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Technically that’s still a tender, just disguised as a truck but as it’s separate, yes it counts 😆 They also ran initially with an old England tender but I think they were still 0.4.0’s then. 

Edited by PaulRhB

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Technically that’s still a tender, just disguised as a truck but as it’s separate, yes it counts 😆 They also ran initially with an old England tender but I think they were still 0.4.0’s then. 

Hi Paul,

No it doesn't have a tender. In 1996 when it was first run for a vintage weekend it ran with fuel tank hidden in coal wagon, however for this run, a small fuel tank was hidden on the footplate so it could (and did) run without a tender. 

Bruce 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, D400 said:

Hi Paul,

No it doesn't have a tender. In 1996 when it was first run for a vintage weekend it ran with fuel tank hidden in coal wagon, however for this run, a small fuel tank was hidden on the footplate so it could (and did) run without a tender. 

Bruce 

Bruce, thanks for the info I didn’t know they’d done runs with the loco tank only but as it was separate I accepted Paul’s video anyway. Problem is I prefer them in original condition so you two just gave me an excuse for another 😇

• RMweb Premium

Well that looks like the cat well out the bag! The fact it's printed in detail on the instructions suggests to me that the as preserved ladies with tenders will be along within the next year. They wouldn't bother printing those instructions if the later variants aren't confirmed, at least to my mind. Better start saving!

• Agree 2

Those instructions look very promising for a run of Linda and Blanche in FR guise.

I haven't been tempted into OO9 yet. The current offering in RTR hasn't really appealed to me so far but if we get the FR ladies I will definitely have a dabble. Will certainly look nice with a couple of the Peco Bowsiders

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, cornelius said:

Assuming the 2-4-0 versions are released in due course, will this be the first time a RTR loco has been available in two different wheel configurations?

Not if you count the Bachmann US On30 porter as that was available in 0.4.0 and 0.4.2 versions. 

Oh and their C&S mogul later offered as an abominable 0.6.0 industrial version!

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Not if you count the Bachmann US On30 porter as that was available in 0.4.0 and 0.4.2 versions. 

Oh and their C&S mogul later offered as an abominable 0.6.0 industrial version!

UK outline then.

Suspect the reason the Penryn ones have com first is the extra tooling needed with at least two tenders - the 1965 tender cab for Blanche and the 1964 widening of Welsh Ponys tender for Linda (Welsh Pony today uses a replica tender). Originally Linda and then Blanche used Palmerstons tender which if Bachmann do not make could be sourced from Kato/Peco. An added option exists for them with the tenders as 0-4-0s as well as 2-4-0s; Linda becoming a 2-4-0STT in 1970 and Blanche in 1972.

Edited by Butler Henderson

11 hours ago, cornelius said:

Assuming the 2-4-0 versions are released in due course, will this be the first time a RTR loco has been available in two different wheel configurations?

Hornby have released Cock O' The North as both LNER P2 2-8-2 number 2001 and as BR A2/2 4-6-2 number 60501