Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

38 minutes ago, didcot said:

@Karl how does Blanche run?

It's not as smooth out of the box as the Double Fairlie's were, I have now chipped the model which didn't have any direct effect on running but it is running a bit freer after running in, a slight tight spot remains. I think the track may need to be very clean given the low number of axles as well to ensure that pick up is efficient.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

While I wait for my one to be fixed by Bachmann I got the galvanised buckets from Goodwoodscenics and fitted lids to keep the sand dry. 
I used a close up of Ivo Peters from ‘The Narrow Gauge charm of yesterday’ as the guide. Additionally there’s this from Ron Fisher on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/9tfMN6

9B7D04C5-210C-4519-82DB-A7DD367654B6.jpeg.f9f61c0405e55939143d753705312a80.jpeg

4mm diameter 0.3mm thick plastic discs and multi strand wire. 

ED950C41-6A97-447C-8085-F0A08B0BA5AA.jpeg.d65c19aa87059a4c8aace71deed76baa.jpeg

I used a pin to punch holes. 

F1CC42AC-D6F0-4D26-B829-36A8276D739C.jpeg.f574ab0bccc76eef10eed6b6540e4cea.jpeg

Superglued the handles in. 

F2357CB3-B11D-40AB-87A6-D4364C72969E.jpeg.d588cf78ad2998c37c7318c59c2ba43b.jpeg

And painted silver and notched to clip around the handles, ready to go. Simple detail but so well photographed it is an essential feature. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2022 at 01:23, PaulRhB said:

Ok on running when I got home I noticed a couple of tight spots that weren’t apparent on the shop test circuit and unfortunately they are quite pronounced on starting sometimes so mine will be going back for a replacement. 
It looks fine at linespeed but it’s not really acceptable for shunting and on some starts the lurch is quite pronounced. I wondered if it was contact at first but I put my finger in front and you can feel and see the two tight spots in the third shot. 
I tried running in for an hour each way but no improvement obvious as these clips were taken afterwards. 
Apart from that it’s superb looking and sound. 

Following its return to the shop the rep popped in and questioned if it had been run in which the owner explained it had on my behalf, an hour each way. 
A couple of people said it was my holding it back with a finger that caused it so I did a little comparison by doing the same to their Baldwin. The Hunslet is about 42 seconds in for comparison 

Both my Baldwins and Fairlies run this well so I don’t think I’m asking too much and I’m pretty sure it’s the quartering that’s causing it. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Multiple reports of running issues does rather little to inspire confidence. My Blanche is on its way to me so I'll be giving it a test run ASAP.

Depending on how she performs though I may well end up cancelling my pre-order for Charles, which would be a real shame so I'm keeping everything crossed.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Multiple reports of running issues does rather little to inspire confidence. My Blanche is on its way to me so I'll be giving it a test run ASAP.

Depending on how she performs though I may well end up cancelling my pre-order for Charles, which would be a real shame so I'm keeping everything crossed.

Well just two reports here to be fair, it looks to be quartering to me and if it is slack then some tiny bushes would solve it. I’ll let Bachmann try first and then see what results. Andy said the one he had ran very well so I think quartering is more likely than the rods. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

A couple of people said it was my holding it back with a finger that caused it so I did a little comparison by doing the same to their Baldwin. The Hunslet is about 42 seconds in for comparison 

Good grief 🙄

That Baldwin's a cracker, keep at it until you get a similarly usable Hunslet 🙏🏻

• RMweb Gold

I’m pleased that Bachmann are looking at it so fast and the shop is forwarding my YouTube link too so they can see it in action. Simple way to test is to take the rods off and see if there’s still a tight spot, no tight spot then would confirm quartering. I’m not mucking up the warranty by doing it when they are keen to sort it even when it’s within my abilities but rather fiddly so I’d rather not risk damage when it can be done at their risk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

This is almost enough to get me to "defect" to OO9. If only they would do the WDLR Hunslet 4-6-0T, my all time favourite NG loco. Sadly the kit requires an ancient Minitrix Ivatt Class 2.

Well they are releasing 1 loco a year it seems so even if next year is probably the Mainline Hunslets in Tender form, who knows what will follow.

I think Bachmann chose well going OO-9 than Hornby did with TT. As this really allows me to break into something new while TT repeats what I already have in OO. 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

I wouldn't say that mine is a 'bad' runner, it runs relatively well and likely will improve with use. It's just not as smooth out of the box as my Baldwins or Double fairlies, they do however have more pickups. I think there may also be a slight perception element as even in real life the motion looks slightly odd when moving to me (i think it's the incline of the cylinders) and so it may be that same effect in miniature.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Madreddog said:

The coupling rod is doing a sawing motion. It shouldn't be behaving like that. 

Yep and Bachmann have seen it and agreed it needed looking at so all good on the support front. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yep and Bachmann have seen it and agreed it needed looking at so all good on the support front. 

What I'm seeing in your video is so much slack it's causing binding.

One of the problems with engineering is the standard tolerance of +/- 0.2mm. This isn't an issue with larger parts but it is on those crankpins and rods. They possibly need to aim for closer to 0.05mm clearance which will have barely noticeable play.

• RMweb Premium

My Blanche arrived on Saturday, tested it yesterday and it doesn't run great. If I run it at train set speeds then it is mostly fine, but trying to run it low prototypical speed it is super choppy going forward and almost constantly locking up going backwards. Does seem to be a wheel/quartering issue. Oh well, off to Bachmann it goes!

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Does seem to be a wheel/quartering issue. Oh well, off to Bachmann it goes!

Yes I’ve seen three vids of them running very well, like the earlier models, so there’s obviously only a few got a minor problem. 

• Agree 1