EFE LSWR Cross-country coach sets

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Those coaches look lovely. Sadly I don't believe that funds would allow me to purchase and I am not sure that my children would appreciate them on their layout. I also don't think that my wife would like the fact that I would also need to purchase a new loco to go with them. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Those coaches look lovely. Sadly I don't believe that funds would allow me to purchase and I am not sure that my children would appreciate them on their layout. I also don't think that my wife would like the fact that I would also need to purchase a new loco to go with them. 

Maybe with patience there could still be some sets around in a year with a bigger discount. As for the loco, that could come later. You can get away with a preserved loco on one of the coaches (and heck, the day I build my Sheffield Park layout, you can be certain, I'll run the full set from time to time).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Well I know KMRC have sold quite a few...

One to me. Posted to Sherry in Torquay, imported here by her last Thursday. Since I already had the malachite & the crimson sets, I knew what to expect, and have been delighted of course. 

• Like 7

My LSWR set arrived today. I have posted these pics in my layout topic too, so if you saw that, please scroll on past.

After posing a couple of photos of the set out of the box, one with a suitable LSWR M7 loco, I experimented with couplings within the set, settling for the moment on Hornby's shorter magnetic couplings. However, I think the coaches could safely go closer together still, seeing as they have kinematic coupling mechanisms. As someone posted earlier, it should be possible to have the buffers touching on the straights.

Ignore the modern stock in the background as I am currently running sectorisation and into privatisation periods.

20230905_113019.jpg.fde32c53e37f856d7e7fcb8354344543.jpg

20230905_113113.jpg.d3769e0fa811c50d7e7b7fef80469006.jpg

20230905_114024.jpg.b7fac20a21d933cf5b30ac4aca453cc4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Re "Did anyone buy the Olive set?", I did, to run behind my Olive H2 "South Foreland", as I found a pic of an H class heading a rake of these on the Brighton to Portsmouth service. B&W, so can't be sure everything was Olive, but who cares!

On a different topic, and not rivet counting, but are the LSWR set "too pink"? I saw them in Rails and they look pinker than the old PC models LSWR "Salmon", but which is right (and does it matter, as I think the only suitable "LSWR" liveried engine is the "BR Heritage" T9 by Hornby Collectors Club).

Best Regards,

Bill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 21/01/2024 at 06:27, Olive_Green1923 said:

Is anyone able to post / copy a link to videos of the salmon & brown set? YouTube has nothing. Would be good to see footage of them running.

You've goaded me into action! The two photos show the colours against a Hornby 4-wheel coach and a repainted GWR clerestory coach I did before any of the LSWR coaches came from the manufacturers, using Precision or Cherry Paints (I can't remember for sure which it was). As can be seen, the EFE shade is a bit pinker.

20240125_113936.jpg.9c7f922e65205a26a90c52fff18ffcf7.jpg

20240125_113926.jpg.bfb506ee555e80cb789ff19e8cde79d7.jpg

And a video taken this morning. I had some trouble with the tension lock couplings parting on uneven bits of track. The EFE set is very free running, and the slightest downhill part caused it to push the coupling over the M7's. I swapped to a set of Hornby magnetic couplings like those I used within the set, and it all worked perfectly after that. As can be seen, the coach set has no difficulties with slightly uneven track or pointwork. The kinematic coupling arrangement keeps the coaches fairly closely coupled when used with the more rigid couplings.

I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, SRman said:

You've goaded me into action! The two photos show the colours against a Hornby 4-wheel coach and a repainted GWR clerestory coach I did before any of the LSWR coaches came from the manufacturers, using Precision or Cherry Paints (I can't remember for sure which it was). As can be seen, the EFE shade is a bit pinker.

20240125_113936.jpg.9c7f922e65205a26a90c52fff18ffcf7.jpg

20240125_113926.jpg.bfb506ee555e80cb789ff19e8cde79d7.jpg

And a video taken this morning. I had some trouble with the tension lock couplings parting on uneven bits of track. The EFE set is very free running, and the slightest downhill part caused it to push the coupling over the M7's. I swapped to a set of Hornby magnetic couplings like those I used within the set, and it all worked perfectly after that. As can be seen, the coach set has no difficulties with slightly uneven track or pointwork. The kinematic coupling arrangement keeps the coaches fairly closely coupled when used with the more rigid couplings.

I hope this helps a bit.

Lovely layout. I found the couplings reluctant to couple. I replaced them with Bachmann short straight couplings for now and they solved the problem. Normally, I use Kadees for a fixed formation – the shortest which work. It might be time for me to look at alternatives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Lovely layout. I found the couplings reluctant to couple. I replaced them with Bachmann short straight couplings for now and they solved the problem. Normally, I use Kadees for a fixed formation – the shortest which work. It might be time for me to look at alternatives.

I actually swapped the M7's coupling for a shorter one with a better shaped bar as well, but that still let go. I used Hornby's magnetic couplings within the set early on, as the kinematic coupling arrangement works best with a rigid coupling. Kadees are a much better idea than the tension locks, but as the set is never going to be separated when in service, the magnetic couplings work well. The Roco style short couplings would also do the job, but are more difficult to separate when putting the coaches away, off the layout. Usually, I leave tension locks on the outer ends of coach sets, but as can be seen that didn't work well here.

Thanks also for the compliments. 😊

• RMweb Premium

Photo on the Guardian website illustrating an opinion piece on conscription, shewing what to a non-expert looks to be a set of these carriages: the nearer carriage looks as if it might be the same type of composite while the further one might be the third, so the middle two carriages of a set?

5100.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

[Embedded link.]

Is the child in the pram wearing a miniature pith helmet?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Photo on the Guardian website illustrating an opinion piece on conscription, shewing what to a non-expert looks to be a set of these carriages: the nearer carriage looks as if it might be the same type of composite while the further one might be the third, so the middle two carriages of a set?

5100.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

[Embedded link.]

Is the child in the pram wearing a miniature pith helmet?

No, he's one of the Flowerpot Men when he was a toddler! 🤪

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, SRman said:

Was he Bill or was he Ben? Flobbadob!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SRman said:

12 minutes ago, Al51 said:

Was he Bill or was he Ben? Flobbadob!

I'm regretting mentioning that. Focus on the carriages, folks, or if you prefer, their occupants - army volunteers in late summer / early autumn 1914, I presume - and their families waving farewell.

Edited by Compound2632

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2023 at 17:38, JSpencer said:

So, did anyone buy the 4 car SR olive set?

I did. They run on a GWR set up as a Salisbury - Bristol working behind a Great Western Bulldog 4-4-0. One of those reciprical workings.  I also have GWR stock hauled by Southern locomotives , a regular sight at Bristol Temple Meeds in the 1930's.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Evening ladies and gents, I've just treated myself to a cross-country set in Maunsell green. Lovely coaches, and excellent runners. I'm going to be fitting the pipes and molded chain link couplings on the rear of the last coach in the train but before I glue things on haphazardly, would any of you have information as to the correct location for the two pipes? The coupling chain is straight forward, but a pair of pipes are included which I cannot seem to find any decent reference pics for. One is ribbed and the other is smooth, with two holes on either side of the bufferbeam of the coach. Apologies if this has been brought up before or if the answer exists somewhere obvious, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the help in advance