The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Worst. Invention. Ever.

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Let's start with the auto-correct feature on a smart phone. it can't predict what I'm thinking, but tries to and thus makes no sense in the sentence, making me look an idiot. 

What's the worst invention in your opinion?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Let's start with the auto-correct feature on a smart phone. it can't predict what I'm thinking, but tries to and thus makes no sense in the sentence, making me look an idiot. 

So turn it off/disable it.

• RMweb Gold

Humankind over time  has invented many things, with each new group of  scientists and engineers learning from and being more educated and more productive  than the generation before, their inventions being quite unimaginable to those gone before.  This incredible pace of development over centuries of effort and hard work has finally led to  … the selfie stick.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

So turn it off/disable it.

See also …

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

'smart' anything!

Edited by BoD

28 minutes ago, BoD said:

Humankind over time  has invented many things, with each new group of  scientists and engineers learning from and being more educated and more productive  than the generation before, their inventions being quite unimaginable to those gone before.  This incredible pace of development over centuries of effort and hard work has finally led to  … the selfie stick.

You say this, and yet... I own a selfie stick. I don't use it for taking self-portraits though. I mainly use it for taking reference photos of things, extending my arm's reach by a couple of metres. Very helpful for getting views you wouldn't normally be able to. As an example, here are two photo I took in the National Railway Museum, from the ground (Coppernob) and from platform level (Queen Adelaide's Saloon).

20220918_124140.jpg

20220917_135020.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It is certainly unnecessary to make me look like an idiot. I can manage that by myself.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The guy who invented it died recently, his funfair was last monkey.

They say  that the old ones are the best ones 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

2 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

According to my old art teacher, the rubber is the invention of the devil.  "Being able to erase your mistakes makes you careless - take care and get it right first time".

That can be read quite differently in North American terms! 😮

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9