The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Worst. Invention. Ever.

Stubby47

Electronic handbrakes. Something else to go wrong!

My son is learning to drive with an instructor. He has recently inherited a 15 year old car. Took him out for a lesson, but couldn't get it off the drive. I said take the handbrake off, what's that was his reply. Driving Instructor has a car with an electronic handbrake. Hopeless.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I ended up sprawled on the floor and her case bounced over a few times. She, rather than apologising then tut-tutted me.

I hope her case ended up full of smashed valuable breakables.

I would've started kicking her case then, you knock me over and you start complaining?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, 97406 said:

I bought a full size steel spare wheel for mine. It lives in the boot and serves as a handy thing to put bags of shopping in to stop them falling over or sliding around.

Added a spare wheel, (none-included), to the specification as an "accessory" for my company lease car and had to pay benefit in kind tax on the value as the delivery price was higher.

Only time I used it, I drove a further 100 yards after changing it and had another flat, (knife cuts to both tyres), and had to be recovered anyway. 

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, didcot said:

Took him out for a lesson, but couldn't get it off the drive. I said take the handbrake off, what's that was his reply. Driving Instructor has a car with an electronic handbrake.

Also hill start assist. You can't turn it off so how do they learn?

13 minutes ago, 30801 said:

They don't.

When I took my test I had to give hand signals including how indicate to a constable on point duty (a what??) your intention to turn left, as well as understanding signals given by a chap in change of a horse-drawn vehicle with his whip.  My licence also qualified me to drive a "mowing machine controlled by a pedestrian"

These days I believe if you only drive an automatic you can do a test which doesn't qualify you to drive a car with a manual gearbox. I expect there will soon be a third type of licence which says you can only drive an EV, and if Elon Musk stops wasting his time and money mucking about on Twitter, we might have another sort of licence to be a passenger in a car that drives you to work, parks itself and then comes and picks you up again at knocking off time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They don't.

When I took my test I had to give hand signals including how indicate to a constable on point duty (a what??) your intention to turn left, as well as understanding signals given by a chap in change of a horse-drawn vehicle with his whip.  My licence also qualified me to drive a "mowing machine controlled by a pedestrian"

And I bet you remember the road sign for a "Tram Pinch"...😉

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

And I bet you remember the road sign for a "Tram Pinch"...😉

I remember it being in the Highway Code (HMSO, price 6d) but don't think I ever saw one for real.  I don't remember the old trams other than at Blackpool, though I do remember trolleybuses in several towns.

My father was knocked off his bike as a boy by a toff opening a car door, falling under a passing tram on the High Level Bridge in Newcastle and he had back injuries from the wrought ironwork between its axles.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 30801 said:

It can be turned off in my car.

When I was instructing, I did exactly that.

And only told them about it once they'd learnt how to do hill starts properly.

Showed them how it worked, then turned it off again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Conductive rubber buttons on remote controls.

They fail and due to construction cannot be repaired.

Phone spell checkers, the worst there are, they spell check correct words to wrong ones.

On a previous phone i changed the keyboard app so i was able to type SQL.

Even worse when resl word replaced with slang.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be almost tempted to say "the transistor" - without that there wouldn't be a great deal of things that I really don't like around. But then there wouldn't be some I do.

Most mornings I think "alarm clocks" (in any way, shape or form).

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Hornby steam loco tender drives (not the early 70's silver seal ones, they were excellent).

Brit15

Well, the Silver Seal motors were made by Fleischmann!

Hornby tried to copy them and they used inferior materials and production and guess what? They weren’t so good!

Then (I guess), Lima copied again and made an even worse job through even cheaper materials.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Hroth said:

The first TV remotes were tethered to the telly by a length of cable, which snaked across the floor to the owner of the remote. You had to watch where you put your feet...

Modern ones are bad, but in a different way!

But without the remote these days, you can't really control a modern TV.