Airfix production back in UK

stonesboy

16 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Having spoken to several people from Airfix about this in a professional context, I got a sense they were possibly regretting this as it’s simply shown up how much better skilled the Chinese are at tooling and injection moulding, particularly for models.

ISTR the Hornby - a model world programme presented the opposite narrative?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

"Got hold of it" just before Christmas.  Hmm...

Exactly. Got hold of it by reading an email from CT9. 😁

This is the purpose of making that Spitfire kit in the UK - to generate positive stories in the press and remind punters of the Airfix brand. The marketing benefits for a few kits outweigh the savings of making the kit in India.

Edited by 1andrew1

3 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Having spoken to several people from Airfix about this in a professional context, I got a sense they were possibly regretting this as it’s simply shown up how much better skilled the Chinese are at tooling and injection moulding, particularly for models. I wouldn’t be surprised if this remains a one-off.

David 

I agree it's likely to remain a one-off.

But I saw an Airfix interview which said all their moulds are tooled up in the Far East. Regarding injection moulding for Airfix, that's not done in China but primarily in India with some in South Korea.

18 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Just to point out that Airfix announced that the Spitfire was being produced in a the UK, quite a while ago in their regular 'Workbench' updates, now the press have got hold of it.

It's worth noting to for stash hunters that If the Airfix kit has the Union Flag on the  box - it's  made in the UK, from memory the 1/72nd scale  Avro Shackleton AEW, Handley Page Victor K2 and the 1.48th scale Curtis P-40 and the Quick build kits are (I think).

Bizarrely they stopped producing kits in the Uk, because People complained about the Plastic being too hard & brittle lol

Hard and brittle plastic is due to much filler, usually chalk.  It's a cost saving device by the manufacturer, here Airfix.  Revell kits used to be same 40-50 years ago.

Peterfgf

The impression I got from other modelling sites was that people  frequently commented that Airfix plastic was too soft. I can’t remember which kit it was but a recent release got favourable comments for its harder than usual (for Airfix) plastic.

2 hours ago, 50A55B said:

The impression I got from other modelling sites was that people  frequently commented that Airfix plastic was too soft. I can’t remember which kit it was but a recent release got favourable comments for its harder than usual (for Airfix) plastic.

I've bought a few of the reissued classic kits and the plastic is very good. 

I just wish Dapol would use the same plastic for its kits. That really is soft.

Jason

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 50A55B said:

The plastic used for the miniature figures used to be awful; very difficult to get it to take paint or glue.

6 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The plastic used for the miniature figures used to be awful; very difficult to get it to take paint or glue.

Yes, for some reason the 1:76 figures were generally moulded in polythene rather than polystyrene. The instructions still 'recommended' using Airfix paint and cement even though neither worked!

• Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've bought a few of the reissued classic kits and the plastic is very good. 

I just wish Dapol would use the same plastic for its kits. That really is soft.

Jason

Do Dapol use softer plastic in their kits to reduce wear on the tooling? The level of flash is sometimes considerable, though thats to be expected for 60yo+ tools!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Do Dapol use softer plastic in their kits to reduce wear on the tooling? The level of flash is sometimes considerable, though thats to be expected for 60yo+ tools!

No idea. But they do make it clear about how it's recycled plastic so could have cost cutting as a major reason.

Personally if I needed something that needed strength then I would try and get the original Airfix version. Many of them are still readily available.

Jason

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, didcot said:

Does anyone know if the new 1/24 Spitfire kit goes together better than the old one. I gave up on it as I couldn't get the fuselage to line up and the engine was too big.

The new ones are CAD designed and generally go together very well. Having said that, I did manage the original 1:24 Spitfire Mk1 as a teenager so it can't have been that bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

The new ones are CAD designed and generally go together very well. 

Even down to having (presumably 3D scanned from the real thing) tyres with the bulge at the bottom where the weight is sitting on them. I've been much impressed by the recent 1/72 Airfix kits I've built (Phantom/Bucc/Swift/Harrier/Vampire). 

Just need them to do a decent 1/72 Jaguar and Venom.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Personally if I needed something that needed strength then I would try and get the original Airfix version. Many of them are still readily available.

Could well be quite brittle by this time.

Some plastic kits deteriorate with age.