Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Defiance ordered thanks @Accurascale Fran for confirming at Warley that this was in your plans.

A happy man now but much poorer ….thanks to Accurascale.

Ps the tenuous link with Sir Edward Elgar probably was that he was a patron of the GWR catching the train from Worcester to Wolverhampton to watch his football team.

Edited by rprodgers
Addition
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Same here - either those boys really do like orange or they disliked the first half of the 1980s!

Roy

My cutoff is 1980 but I could just about stretch to 1984. 50023 would be a perfect choice as the first large logo blue with grey roof and no orange band.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ooh! Both are on my list of desirables, though I do have an upgraded Hornby version of Sir Ed, though it’s not the sturdiest model. Will wait and see what gets announced at Glasgow and may just take the plunge if it’s not something else that used the same engine block.DSCF0366.JPG.717c5ea8377b3751329e71beabf5c8da.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, big jim said:

I wasn’t going to order a class 50 as they don’t really interest me but I’ve always had a soft spot for ‘Elgar’ so I succumbed! 

Yep, I caved after less than 60 seconds too.

need D400 and 50033 now.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Same here - either those boys really do like orange or they disliked the first half of the 1980s!

Roy

I don’t mind either way. My last resurgence in railways was when the orange bands were being phased in. I thought they suited the original Railfreight Grey particularly.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Can I ask why DCC Sound on the 50 is £10 more than on the 31 and £20 than on the Deltic? (Class 50 DCC Sound is £110 more than DCC ready, class 31 £100 more and Deltic £90 more). Is it much fancier than on your earlier models? 

Hi @nightstar.train,

The Deltics do not have operating fans so is a bit cheaper electronics and hardware wise, and for the 31 the sound tech and PCB etc was priced more cheaply for sound fitted when we first announced them. We probably should've raised the price on the sound 31s to have it in line with the 50 but we resisted the price increase.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Goddammit Accurascale. I've just ordered a EWS 31, and now you've gone and announced Elgar. I'll have to wait a bit before ordering it, hope they don't sell out in record time! 

I was just thinking exactly the same thing!

Argh!

"Refreshed several times up until its final withdrawal in 1994 its livery subtly changed each time and our model represents the classic Network SouthEast 1988-91 period with full-length orange cantrail stripe."

Wasn't the full orange stripe added early 1986? So what livery tweak makes this right for 1988-91?

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

50 007 was selected to carry on the tradition of carrying the great mans name that had started with the naming of Castle 7005. 

Every day's a school-day - someone very observant selected the reverse number that was carried in the diesel's headcode box during 1976 - Fabulous!!!  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

"Refreshed several times up until its final withdrawal in 1994 its livery subtly changed each time and our model represents the classic Network SouthEast 1988-91 period with full-length orange cantrail stripe."

Wasn't the full orange stripe added early 1986? So what livery tweak makes this right for 1988-91?

Late 80's-Early 90's is probably the right era.  For early 80's, surely everyone wants 07 Hercules, not that renamed rubbish? 

Recall seeing 07 on a VHS towards the end of its life got a repaint (courtesy I think of Laira Trainees) to go with D400, so just prior to this time. 

50149 I take it has CP7's via the Class 37 tooling suite? 

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Hi @WILLIAM,

Our model has the NRN roof pods which were added in 1988.

HTH

8 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Will 50007 have ploughs? The drawing for 50149 shows them but 50007’s doesn’t. Cheers

Hi @Hilux5972,

Our plan is that ploughs will come in the baggies as an accessory item. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Is the Rodney Class 50 in preservation guise, it looks to me like it is?

I hope not. It has the pre 90s warning flashes (easily changed if not to your liking) so I reckon it is in 80s condition, not that it is that different.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

I hope not. It has the pre 90s warning flashes (easily changed if not to your liking) so I reckon it is in 80s condition, not that it is that different.

Which flashes are those?

There is a picture on press reader from March 2020 which looks very much like the model, unless I am on the wrong flashes (which is probably the case.)

img?regionKey=tFjHz0TXFe4EOPYNRXratg==

Better picture perhaps from Flickr

50021 Rodney

Edited by Chilly

50149, did it ever have a black '9' on the front with a correct size number?  While prototypical, just looks soooooooo wrong.  In the good old days of corporate identity and a new paint job, let down at the final hurdle.....  Even the 9 painted black with a marker pen would have been better. 

... Hope the person who did it got bit by a thousand fleas on a Bubble Car A exam!