Class 50, By Accurascale

1 hour ago, NBL said:

This poses another question.

If you can't tell from the photos that you can zoom into much larger than the model will be, how noticeable will it be on the layout?

There's a bit more to it than just wheel size. Shrinking the wheels means you have to start playing with bogie sizes and/or relationship with the body and/or ride height. Worse still you can end up with off centre wheels. I've seen all of these approaches taken by all manufacturers tbh.

The loco may look alright on its own but horrible next to say a coach. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NBL said:

This poses another question.

If you can't tell from the photos that you can zoom into much larger than the model will be, how noticeable will it be on the layout?

The answer to that will have to wait until the actual model arrives on people's layouts, however, I find the compromises on the Deltic very visible.  Not enough to stop me ordering one from the next batch, I hasten to add, but it's definitely "noticeable" even from a distance.

That's not a criticism as such, just recognition of the compromises that have to be made if you want models to be backwards compatible with train-set track.

5 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Just a bit more info about the undersize wheels and scale size replacements; for those modelling finescale with our scale-sized drop-in wheelsets we will be providing an alternative bogie pivot that will make the bogie-body distance accurate, as well as different brake parts to account for the different position of the wheels and the larger wheels. We are also looking at offering full size 00 wheelsets too for those of you with much more gentle curves.

Of course, an alternative bogie pivot hasn't been done before commercially (as far as I'm aware), and we are currently testing it to make sure it works on a commercial product. Of course, if it doesn't, it's not something we can proceed with and offer on a commercial basis, so please don't hold us to it. However, if we are satisfied it can work as it should then this is something that will be on the finished production models. 

Once we are done going through it we will present our findings and let you know, hopefully with some visual demonstration.

The EE design of tucked in wheelsets with wheels and flanges above the bogie sideframe and tucked into the body side makes them the most challenging diesels to do in 00. The 37 was fine due to the body profile not interfering with them on curves of R2. The Deltic is the worst, the tapering in at the ends, coupled with the bodyside tumblehome tucking in is a nightmare, and 50 is somewhere in between. Not quite the severity of tucking in and the tumblehome of the Deltic, but not far off and certainly not as generous as the 37  But then again, we like the hardest challenges and working out ways to overcome. 

I hope that gives some idea on our thinking.

Cheers!

Fran  

This sounds very interesting! I look forward to your findings (even if you deem it not a success!)

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Just a bit more info about the undersize wheels and scale size replacements; for those modelling finescale with our scale-sized drop-in wheelsets we will be providing an alternative bogie pivot that will make the bogie-body distance accurate, as well as different brake parts to account for the different position of the wheels and the larger wheels. We are also looking at offering full size 00 wheelsets too for those of you with much more gentle curves.

Of course, an alternative bogie pivot hasn't been done before commercially (as far as I'm aware), and we are currently testing it to make sure it works on a commercial product. Of course, if it doesn't, it's not something we can proceed with and offer on a commercial basis, so please don't hold us to it. However, if we are satisfied it can work as it should then this is something that will be on the finished production models. 

Once we are done going through it we will present our findings and let you know, hopefully with some visual demonstration.

The EE design of tucked in wheelsets with wheels and flanges above the bogie sideframe and tucked into the body side makes them the most challenging diesels to do in 00. The 37 was fine due to the body profile not interfering with them on curves of R2. The Deltic is the worst, the tapering in at the ends, coupled with the bodyside tumblehome tucking in is a nightmare, and 50 is somewhere in between. Not quite the severity of tucking in and the tumblehome of the Deltic, but not far off and certainly not as generous as the 37  But then again, we like the hardest challenges and working out ways to overcome. 

Cheers!

Fran  

Thanks Fran for this in-depth and honest appraisal of the situation. Its far from a deal breaker for me but with 50s and 37s side-by-side it does become rather obvious! Look forward to seeing the results. 

Regards,

Bruce 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We are also looking at offering full size 00 wheelsets too for those of you with much more gentle curves.

Fran

Interesting about 00 wheelsets. What might your target be for minimum radius (at this time).

Even with underscale  wheels it doesn’t have the same issue as the Hornby one , in so much as it looked like it was on tip toes to me.

the gap bogie to body looks much better 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 14:55, Accurascale said:

BR Blue and NSE Class 50 Deco Samples Revealed!

Group8-2.jpg.af5943c9825014d7dab18145450d9e95.jpg

Great news! We can reveal further decorated samples of our Class 50 have showed up from the factory for assessment. We have now received BR Blue, BR Blue Large Logo with grey roof, and original Network South East liveries.

These arrived with the Hanson and Hall and BR Large Logo with black roof we previewed before Christmas but we've only got around to photographing them now!

As ever, some fit and finish issues are apparent on these samples, such as the headcode glass on D423 and the body to chassis fit on some examples, but these will be corrected on production models that you receive.

Enough talking, more pics!

SKUACC2242-DCC.jpg.f3b140d9acb1c6571764d0ac80f17667.jpg

Group7.jpg.069c59575e9914e62402d12dd7aad01b.jpg

Group5.jpg.5de00b7b1cf60f3206b89ef4ccafa053.jpg

Group3.jpg.712ac8eee583ad77db95fc6858bd9326.jpg

SKUACC2238-DCC.jpg.6f13f9f3f0e33e392e67d966ba450c01.jpg

Group4.jpg.81d0efbcbf8c1517273a082f0a67512f.jpg

Group5.jpg.5de00b7b1cf60f3206b89ef4ccafa053.jpg

As per our previous update, production is now underway with a delivery date of Q4 of 2024 envisaged.

Order via your local stockist, or direct below. Please note that there is limited stock remaining across all running numbers as production is now in full swing!

Pre-order here: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50/availability_pre-order

Group9-2.jpg.8c81c742fa74d9feb476b7c93416eb53.jpg

Nice to see Royal Oak in the flesh, cant wait for mine to arrive!

• RMweb Gold

58 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Doesn't mean it didn't, after all a lot of 50s were used on such trains. Can anyone prove conclusively that it never did? 😉

there’s a fantastic picture of on an NSE class 50 on an engineers train at brierley hill on the now closed Stourbridge to walsall line and I’m sure it’s 50017, can’t find it now though, looked on Flickr but no joy, only one of 50018 

edit: found the pic but it’s 018 as per other pics I found of the same location on a different day 

http://bescotplus.co.uk/trains/50018_9M01

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Doesn't mean it didn't, after all a lot of 50s were used on such trains. Can anyone prove conclusively that it never did? 😉

No I've found over the years of researching the prototype, that not just class 50s appeared on other duties and such, this is why I like modelling the BR era 

NL

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2024 at 09:32, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Cheers!

Fran  

One good thing about the design of the Bachmann 40 is the ease that you can unscrew the bogie pivots from the top of the towers, sand down and replace as this rather poor photo demonstrates. I’ve not removed the bogies from one of your models yet, so I could be wide of the mark, but that’s how a revised pivot could work.

image.png.0531de3f38857e12e7f202fef336de15.png

Edited by 97406

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

No I've found over the years of researching the prototype, that not just class 50s appeared on other duties and such, this is why I like modelling the BR era 

NL

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

NL

50017 seems to have been in NSE pools it's entire career and the most exotic photo I have is it on parcels.

Saying that Laira put 50s out on almost anything to run them in so I wouldn't worry as it'll look ace on some ballast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Ive a very unlikely picture of 50041 on an engineers train, in Manchester Piccadilly of all places…

oddities did happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

50017 seems to have been in NSE pools it's entire career and the most exotic photo I have is it on parcels.

Saying that Laira put 50s out on almost anything to run them in so I wouldn't worry as it'll look ace on some ballast.

I have a rake of Dogfish ready

NL

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NBL said:

I had a good look at the 50's today and can honestly say that you can't see where the removable panel is.

Cracking looking models.

If you could we wouldn’t do it. 

• Like 16