Kirk/Mailcoach 4mm kits

Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Premium

Posted by Ian Kirk himself on the Gauge O Guild forum over the weekend.

I have just had an e mail from Chris Stapleton (Phoenix Paints etc) to say that the 4mm kits have been saved and he had just returned after driving down to collect the moulds. Phoenix are basically plastic moulders and have the right expertise and equipment. In fact they already have and produce my old 4mm Southern coach kits.
I wonder if the eBay seller of two unbuilt (all 3rd and composite) Quad Art sets will still get his £600?

In a previous posting (before the announcement from Cambrian and Phoenix Precision), he had also given a brief history of his involvement in a number of different businesses.

During my 50 years of Trading I have started several businesses/ranges some I sold on some I closed. The 4mm wagon kits (and the first few O gauge ones) that I sold to Richard to start Parkside was undoubtedly a success. My 4mm coach range, sold originally to Colin Ashby was fine while he had it, likewise the Mailcoach range that I sold to Tony Brown. but on their retirement both of these are now with someone in Somerset who has never as far as I can see produced successful mouldings and destroyed two moulding machines in the process. (and declines offers of help) Worse he has a very good website which can take orders and payment and he is not good at communication thereafter. There are pages on Rm web about this. The coach range has my name on it....
In my semi retirement I still have the O gauge coach range. I have no plans to sell it on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mark Dickerson said:

NB: Phoenix are asking for people's priorities for production. (Of course, now will be when we see the RTR Quad-Art announcement).

nah, it will be announced the minute I complete the one I have been building from a Kirk kit the last few (?) years. 😩

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

But how much would we be talking considering the latest RTR coach announcement for a pair of bog standard GWR coaches in a simple livery is £170 RRP? A bit less from some retailers.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-b-set-coaches/

Even if Hornby do one it would be well north of £200.

Not a comment about prices, but I would expect a RTR set of LNER Quad Arts to be nearer to the £400 mark.

Current Phoenix price for the SR coaches is £25 each or £65 for the three car Bullied set. I would expect the Quad Arts to be about £100 or so.

I'll stick to the plastic kits with some detailing parts from Comet/MJT/etc.!

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But how much would we be talking considering the latest RTR coach announcement for a pair of bog standard GWR coaches in a simple livery is £170 RRP? A bit less from some retailers.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-b-set-coaches/

Even if Hornby do one it would be well north of £200.

Not a comment about prices, but I would expect a RTR set of LNER Quad Arts to be nearer to the £400 mark.

Current Phoenix price for the SR coaches is £25 each or £65 for the three car Bullied set. I would expect the Quad Arts to be about £100 or so.

I'll stick to the plastic kits with some detailing parts from Comet/MJT/etc.!

Jason

Hornby seem to (until the next price rise) be able to bring coaches in at c.£60 and Bachmann (their new Bulleids) around a tenner more. 

On that basis I'd reckon a Hornby Quad-Art might sneak in just under £250 at todays prices, but probably your figure if for release mid-2024 or later. Given the extent of Hornby price rises while inflation was low, I'd not be surprised to see them hiked by a total of 30 to 40% during 2023.

Kirk Kits are very basic; what Americans would call a "Craftsman's Kit". Without quite a lot of additional material, they won't get within a country mile of current r-t-r standards. Thus, how much can be saved by kit-building is entirely dependent on what level of detail one considers acceptable. 

Food for thought.

A few years ago I did a bang-up job on a Kirk Bulleid 59' 3-set. Pretty much everything under the floor (which, in the kits, isn't much) was replaced and added-to using cast and etched parts, close couplers, the lot.

I spent almost a month of my available modelling time building them and was very pleased with the result (though my painting left a bit to be desired). However, my total spend came out within pennies of the then-current RRP of a 3-set of Hornby Maunsells. No doubt the cost of all the bits will also have risen substantially since then, too.

I'm not in need of a Quad-Art set via either route (assuming one becomes available r-t-r), but I'd now only choose to kit-build were I doing so for the pleasure of it. As with my Bulleids, I'd expect emulating r-t-r detail and features on Kirk foundations to (as near as dammit) equal the cost of the r-t-r. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

I agree that the kit would be useful, I don't think a RTR version would wholly negate demand - just make it less of a priority (I'd guess at a Quint-Art as more likely in RTR rather than 2 4-coach Quad-Arts, for the full formation, either way I'd  hate to see PPP partly hit).

You can of course make the Kirk kits to a more basic standard and I have both low- and full-fat...

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see the Kirk kits re-emerge from the darkness. What happened to the N gauge Westwater & Kirk kits btw?

Anyway, I’ve just noticed that “Kirk” is misspelt as “Klrk” in the thread title, which means it won’t be found by a forum search. Easily done, but could the thread owner correct the spelling for the sake of the archives?

RichardT

• Thanks 1

• Jol Wilkinson changed the title to Kirk/Mailcoach 4mm kits
46 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Did PPP get the tools for Kirk/Mailcoach GWR P18 Monster? No sign of a GWR category on their website.

Regards

Duncan

Didn't they also do a top light steel sided passenger brake van

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Kirk Kits are very basic; what Americans would call a "Craftsman's Kit". Without quite a lot of additional material, they won't get within a country mile of current r-t-r standards. Thus, how much can be saved by kit-building is entirely dependent on what level of detail one considers acceptable. 

Basic perhaps but I wouldn’t say “very” basic.  with a bit of care and attention they can be built into very smart coaches.  I have added wire handrails and (with a lot of help and encouragement from Mike Trice) underframe battery boxes and bracing using plasticard.  Much more fun and satisfying than an rtr coach in my view.

Great news that Phoenix is taking on the range.

Cheers

Darius

(who also has a couple of Kirk Quad-Art kits and a Quint in the stash)

• Like 7

This is good news indeed! I've managed to pick up several teaks of various guises from an array of sources over the years, but oddly not a suitable selection to make a full train (not a realistic one anyway!) This is one a non corridor brake third with MJT under-gubbins and other extra details from plastic strip. It's still awaiting lettering and glazing, but was certainly worth a little extra work!

372322886_IMAG38912.jpg.b59662a215c9bc5071c53a991d0faa2a.jpg

I had started making a Tourist set from the Mailcoach kits before they became unavailable, so them seeing the light again will be nice (even if the full sides moulded in clear plastic is a modelling challenge at times!)

The request from PPP as to which kits would be wanted is a good idea, but I was wondering if there is a list anywhere, or if anyone has one, of what kits/carriage diagrams are actually in the range.

Very much looking forward to the reintroduction, and I'm sure MJT are just as excited about the resulting purchase of plenty of underframe bits and other details!

Cheers

J

• Like 8

My namesakes kits are a classic case of the more you put in, the better results you get.

Cutting and shutting beckons. Mind, look up all the auld Steve Banks article's - especially if soldering is a dark art to you...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...