GWR O11/15 Opens and V14/16 Vans - order book now open!

rapidoandy

On 08/03/2024 at 13:12, RapidoCorbs said:

The GRANO at Didcot has spoked and disc wheels mixed but I think that may be a preservation thing :)

If that is a subliminal hint it would be a welcome one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Impossible to tell from photos but I guess different types on each end of an axle would be rare - however interchangeable they were !!?!

An 1898 specification for 8-ton open wagons for the S&DJR has this to say about fitting wheels to axles: "the Centres to be tightly pressed on the Axles with a hydraulic pressure of 40 tons" - so, once on, on, I think. [Midland Railway Study Centre item 88-1974-58/2]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

For those more familiar, please can I check that Port of Bristol Authority No 58054 is Diagram O11 (943025) iso Diagram O15?  I presume the former as unfitted, however, the description on the product page states "O15 10t unfitted open", as does the sticker on the box!

O11 (unfitted) - error in product description/label. Possibly as it was a higher numbered SKU amongst the O15s, it got lumped in with them by mistake.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only problem with these wagons is the couplings leave a BIG gap between wagons made worse by the smaller size of these wagons, anyone tried the Bachman short coupling hooks to reduce the gap

Edited by dube
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, dube said:

The only problem with these wagons is the couplings leave a BIG gap between wagons made worse buy the smaller size of these wagons, anyone tried the Bachman short coupling hooks to reduce the gap

We've tried on these ones to make the coupling distance shorter than previous models.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

We've tried on these ones to make the coupling distance shorter than previous models.

What would really help would be to model the coupling on the Bachmann short straight example, which has a shorter ‘base’ behind the fitting for the coupling hook.

Fitting the Bachmann version does help noticeably reduce the gap and I swap these in on all my Rapido wagons, but this isn’t cheap! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/03/2024 at 21:43, BenL said:

What would really help would be to model the coupling on the Bachmann short straight example, which has a shorter ‘base’ behind the fitting for the coupling hook.

Fitting the Bachmann version does help noticeably reduce the gap and I swap these in on all my Rapido wagons, but this isn’t cheap! 

Yes we are doing that as well, but bear in mind that what is coming out now was designed over a year ago, sometimes more.

We also have to make sure our spare parts in the warranty department will work with both the new and old stock.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2024 at 22:23, Captain Kernow said:

Impressed with my one van and two opens, one of which converted to P4 pretty easily this evening. 

But I did have to replace the plastic tiebars on the open, which were rather bendy, with brass ones, other than that, it's looking great.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

But I did have to replace the plastic tiebars on the open, which were rather bendy, with brass ones, other than that, it's looking great.

Not just bendy - but bent on my O15 ....... did wonder if the plastic packaging had pushed them upwards - but I don't think so.

24 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not just bendy - but bent on my O15 ....... did wonder if the plastic packaging had pushed them upwards - but I don't think so.

Following advice from @Derails Models, they can be straightened by tweaking the ends where they join the axelboxes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

When I say 'bendy', one of mine had a pronounced upward bend, the other starting to bend in a similar fashion.

Well I received a second van today. A V16 vs V17 that I received before. The body between them are the same but underframe and roof details differ.

Mink_01.jpg

Mink_02.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

V17s being V16s fitted with screw couplings for working in France/Belgium. Although the couplings are not modelled, the van is painted as a V17 - converted back to V16 or X6 (later Y4) post-war.

• Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

V17s being V16s fitted with screw couplings for working in France/Belgium. Although the couplings are not modelled, the van is painted as a V17 - converted back to V16 or X6 (later Y4) post-war.

Didn’t they have the buffers packed out a couple of inches because the screw couplings are longer?   Other wagons that were fitted with screw couplings during the first world war for working in France definitely did. 

• Like 1