GWR O11/15 Opens and V14/16 Vans - order book now open!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

Extra vans!

I am pleased to say that we are adding some more variants to the van range.

MICA A Diagram X6

Representing one of the 300 'Mink A's operating as 'Mica A's during the period 1918-1922. Fitted with cork insulation and with the ventilators blanked off, these were used as meat vans during a shortage of such vehicles. Most were later converted to Y4 banana vans.

944029.png.d9213af5e28bab681161497c5ee4c624.png

Rhymney Railway Type 4

Built for the Rhymney by the GWR to their V16 design, these pre-grouping vans were later absorbed back into the GWR at the grouping. No.615 was photographed at a Birmingham goods yard in its distinctive RR livery.

This 'type 4' is a good accompaniment to the upcoming Barry Railway and Taff Vale Railway iron-bodied vans.

944037.png.5817e9af7ca8d3d7a7f8f9c3551a81e4.png

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A little off topic but as you reference them, I see the Barry Railway livery is described as "orange".  Can I ask where you got your colour references from?

Edited by Footy
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Footy said:

A little off topic but as you reference them, I see the Barry Railway livery is described as "orange".  Can I ask where you got your colour references from?

They are not described as orange on our website, they should be a red-brown oxide according to my notes. I think the render makes it appear gaudier than intended.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

I might have missed it in the thread and newsletters but is there a deadline set yet for getting in guaranteed orders?

I have checked the "Project Status" page on the website but these wagons are not listed yet

Cheers :)

No rush, just place your order with the retailer of choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

They are not described as orange on our website, they should be a red-brown oxide according to my notes. I think the render makes it appear gaudier than intended.

Thank goodness 😁, Hatton's list them as Barry Railway Orange...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, were the GWR ‘Mink A’ (V14/V16) vans still used on freight traffic in the early 60’s? Thanks Fred

Comments earlier in the thread suggest that a few made it into the 1960s but with a 9ft wheelbase they would not have lasted long (1964 is mentioned as a possible cutoff point). There is photographic evidence in the 4th volume of David Larkin's Acquired Wagon series.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Watching the video below, the intention is for Diagram O11 No 86140 (shown at 01:56) to be modelled rebuilt, thus showing differing levels of fading where the planks have been replaced - just a small observation, something I hadn't picked-up on when the artwork was released back in February.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I think you mean Y4.  (And the lettering should I think be BANANA VAN, as per your previous graphic.)

Andy's got LNER 0-4-0Ts on the brain 😄 From the photos it seems that BANANA VAN and BANANA were used - 93405 is pictured at Avonmouth with just BANANA.

Not sure why though?

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 09.30.11.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Not sure why though?

BANANA VAN does call for a lot of letter condensing. Also, the use of VAN seems to have dropped out of favour (and not just for the fruits) at an early stage, until the Y8s came along, which were given the full monty GOODS FRUIT VAN.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 57xx said:

They look more like 3D renders to me.

To be fair Hatton’s do describe them as hand painted and 3D renders on the listing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's nothing wrong with them being renders, they give the livery info just as well, it just seemed odd to be described as hand painted, however Andy has now clarified why.

• 3 months later...