GWR O11/15 Opens and V14/16 Vans - order book now open!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Didn’t they have the buffers packed out a couple of inches because the screw couplings are longer?   Other wagons that were fitted with screw couplings during the first world war for working in France definitely did. 

Unsure, the article in GWJ did not mention buffer packing (nor is it mentioned in ABT's book) and the drawing N°55537 (V17 van) does not show buffer packing.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

All Rapido... A V16 sandwiched between Rapido's 15xx and a Rapido Iron Mink.

At the back of the train (very fuzzy) is a 6 wheel (ex SECR) Rapido Brake Van

V16_01.jpg

V16_02.jpg

V16_03.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2024 at 08:29, RapidoCorbs said:

Yes we are doing that as well, but bear in mind that what is coming out now was designed over a year ago, sometimes more.

We also have to make sure our spare parts in the warranty department will work with both the new and old stock.

If you make the coupler part the same dimensions as the Bachmann short straight, I can't see why they wouldn't be compatible. The tails slot into the NEM pockets on the wagon just fine and give a much better distance between stock. Source: I tried it on my Iron Mink.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 57xx said:

If you make the coupler part the same dimensions as the Bachmann short straight, I can't see why they wouldn't be compatible. The tails slot into the NEM pockets on the wagon just fine and give a much better distance between stock. Source: I tried it on my Iron Mink.

Compatible in that if we end up with a stock of spares of the shorter ones, they will still work on wagons that use the longer coupling without causing issues e.g. if we have to do a replacement coupling as part of a repair. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2024 at 16:13, RapidoCorbs said:

V17s being V16s fitted with screw couplings for working in France/Belgium. Although the couplings are not modelled, the van is painted as a V17 - converted back to V16 or X6 (later Y4) post-war.

Going Continental now, are we?!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Compatible in that if we end up with a stock of spares of the shorter ones, they will still work on wagons that use the longer coupling without causing issues e.g. if we have to do a replacement coupling as part of a repair. 

They will still work. I can run the short couplings round the (roughly) R2 curves on my test track without any issues. Order a pack of Bachmann 36-061 and try them out. 🙂

• Like 1

I finally said "stuff it" and ordered the WD Open wagon as well. (And while I was there, I saw an open Cammell Laird too. They were a ship builder of RN warships, so made sense to include it).

Here it is on the dock side with the WD van behind it (and a LBSC wagon to the left waiting for completion on the last pic).

O14_01.jpg

O14_02.jpg

O14_03.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2024 at 18:12, 57xx said:

They will still work. I can run the short couplings round the (roughly) R2 curves on my test track without any issues. Order a pack of Bachmann 36-061 and try them out. 🙂

To explain - Not all of the couplings on our products are mounted in the same place. Some vehicles (not these GWR ones) have the 'long' coupling but mounted further back, so we want to make sure that replacing our standard coupling with a shorter one won't cause problems if we have to do a repair such as replacing a coupling.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Just now, Gilbert said:

Too late - I've bought 4 already...

Spoiler alert - happy to confirm you have excellent taste.

Rapido GW Opens 1 copy.jpg

Rapido GW vans 10 copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Spoiler alert - happy to confirm you have excellent taste.

Rapido GW Opens 1 copy.jpg

Rapido GW vans 10 copy.jpg

The Frys Somerdale van started the rot....mind you...fitting Sprat & Winkles is challenging..but doable...

ChrisH

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Without reading back through all sixteen pages of this thread, has anyone noticed / commented on the 'ghosts' of ironwork on the replacement door and timberwork on 943009* ................ a nice try, guys - I've just added the freshly replaced unpainted planks on mine.

* O11 No.86140 appears, thus, in the original ( 1971 ) GW Wagons book.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Without reading back through all sixteen pages of this thread, has anyone noticed / commented on the 'ghosts' of ironwork on the replacement door and timberwork on 943009* ................ a nice try, guys - I've just added the freshly replaced unpainted planks on mine.

* O11 No.86140 appears, thus, in the original ( 1971 ) GW Wagons book.

@BenL commented on these a few pages back that he thought Rapido had done a good job of representing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

'A few pages back' ? ...... that's half a thread back and fourteen months ago - no wonder I'd forgotten !

My mistake, it’s on page 1936 of the A Nod To Brent thread @Wickham Green too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2024 at 19:43, gwrrob said:

That's one of the best recreations of the Dean-Churchward brake handle I've seen on a model.

I was thinking that the other day when looking at some pictures, that along with the representation of the hangers and linkages.