RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

Does anyone know if the Power Bank when used on the OO Gauge Class 08 sound profile charges as soon as it is on the track or does it need to move to start charging. I'm sure I read that they were updating profiles as they went along. If it does not yet is there some note that appears on the phone or tablet to say that an updated profile is available or does it happen automatically.

As always many thanks for any help.

2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

The antenna. In both Loco types it's the antenna that sticks out. So I wondered if I could cut it of and fit at Angle or so, or put a small flecible antenna.

Ah right, no, you can't cut the antenna off. If you do you'll be condemning the decoder to the B.I.N... May be worth waiting for the non sound one to be released, as I believe that will be smaller.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, D3489gibson said:

Ah right, no, you can't cut the antenna off. If you do you'll be condemning the decoder to the B.I.N... May be worth waiting for the non sound one to be released, as I believe that will be smaller.

Ok, noted! For those with the Sonic A5, I just fixed it without cutting and I should have done it first. If you take the loco pcb of it base before you fit the decoder, you can fit it, justly. 

Runs and sounds good (2P profile) but might need a condensator.  Would be a first for my small fleet. 

15 hours ago, Johan DC said:

The antenna. In both Loco types it's the antenna that sticks out. So I wondered if I could cut it of and fit at Angle or so, or put a small flecible antenna.

We'll have to wait and see what size these things are when Hornby start producing them with smaller available components.. 

But when and if is still a big IF as updates seem to be quite infrequent now the launch had happened. I'm hoping we get more profiles soon to keep up with the projected list and then we do get a new run which may reduce the size to make this more useable. Not just in other manufacturers trains but also in a lot of hornbys own current and back catalogue.

22 minutes ago, Ighten said:

We'll have to wait and see what size these things are when Hornby start producing them with smaller available components.. 

But when and if is still a big IF as updates seem to be quite infrequent now the launch had happened. I'm hoping we get more profiles soon to keep up with the projected list and then we do get a new run which may reduce the size to make this more useable. Not just in other manufacturers trains but also in a lot of hornbys own current and back catalogue.

Agreed! I see they have sold out of TXS21pin now. HM7000 does need a push, with new profiles and available stock (and the Dongle) to get "back in the race"

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Agreed! I see they have sold out of TXS21pin now. HM7000 does need a push, with new profiles and available stock (and the Dongle) to get "back in the race"

Dealers still have them.

I got one last week from here:

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/Hornby-r7322-hm7000-21txs-bluetooth-dcc-sound-decoder-21-pin-copy/

Like you, I'm waiting for the dongle.

Are there any updates on this from our friendly Hornby testers please?

Edited by newbryford

14 hours ago, digger62 said:

Does anyone know if the Power Bank when used on the OO Gauge Class 08 sound profile charges as soon as it is on the track or does it need to move to start charging. I'm sure I read that they were updating profiles as they went along. If it does not yet is there some note that appears on the phone or tablet to say that an updated profile is available or does it happen automatically.

As always many thanks for any help.

No, the 08 does not have static charging yet. When the profile is updated to include this function there will probably be a message appear on the app to reload/update.

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Dealers still have them.

I got one last week from here:

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/Hornby-r7322-hm7000-21txs-bluetooth-dcc-sound-decoder-21-pin-copy/

Like you, I'm waiting for the dongle.

Are there any updates on this from our friendly Hornby testers please?

Does anyone know if the dongle will work with the NCE Powercab?

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, digger62 said:

Does anyone know if the dongle will work with the NCE Powercab?

Many thanks

Sorry (for me too) no ☹️

I'm trying to get folks in MERG interested in producing either a converter or an NCE specific dongle, but that needs a production version released first to test etc.

The Dongle is still in testing at the moment, we are awaiting an updated version of the firmware to address issues already found (I can't say what they are)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Sorry (for me too) no ☹️

I'm trying to get folks in MERG interested in producing either a converter or an NCE specific dongle, but that needs a production version released first to test etc.

The Dongle is still in testing at the moment, we are awaiting an updated version of the firmware to address issues already found (I can't say what they are)

Thanks for that. Shame as I had thought about converting quite a few of my locos, but if it's not compatible. I'll have to think again. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, digger62 said:

Thanks for that. Shame as I had thought about converting quite a few of my locos, but if it's not compatible. I'll have to think again. 

Presumably you could switch  the Hornby chips to 'normal DCC' mode until an adaptor turns up.

12 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Presumably you could switch  the Hornby chips to 'normal DCC' mode until an adaptor turns up.

That’s the beauty of the HM7K system - use the app to programme a suitable sound profile, then switch it to DCC mode (single button click on the app) and use it as a ‘normal’ sound decoder via any legacy DCC control system.

10 hours ago, Ighten said:

We'll have to wait and see what size these things are when Hornby start producing them with smaller available components........

Hopefully that will be Next18 size, rather than not being Next18 size decoders.

10 hours ago, Ighten said:

.......and then we do get a new run which may reduce the size to make this more useable........

I would expect them to not just be "more useable", but actually compliant with the recognised standard.

Hornby are selling these decoders as Next18, when they fail to meet the single most important criteria for the Next 18 standard, which is the defined dimensions.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, digger62 said:

It is, but in reality the Powercab is an old design, using an "in-house" communication protocol rather than something more widely adopted like XpressNet. In the end I'll probably migrate to a Z21 unless I can pick up an Elite cheap. It all depends on if I can control locos ok with a smartphone at an exhibition. I will hopefully test this with my Select and prototype Dongle at the Elizabethan show in October.

On 01/09/2023 at 08:10, RedgateModels said:

It is, but in reality the Powercab is an old design, using an "in-house" communication protocol rather than something more widely adopted like XpressNet. In the end I'll probably migrate to a Z21 unless I can pick up an Elite cheap. It all depends on if I can control locos ok with a smartphone at an exhibition. I will hopefully test this with my Select and prototype Dongle at the Elizabethan show in October.

Thanks for that. Do you know if any Elite or Select would be compatible or do they need to be a newer version? 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, digger62 said:

Thanks for that. Do you know if any Elite or Select would be compatible or do they need to be a newer version? 

I've certainly tested the Dongle with a very old Select, probably one of the earliest versions of the firmware. 

The dongle works fine with any version of Elite or Select, but obviously the more recent the firmware the better due to other enhancement stuff. There is no reason why folk shouldn’t have their controllers updated either by the user (Elite) or by return to works for a modest fee (Select).
There was even a plan to add an Xpressnet port to the eLink but that was canned as unnecessary due to the need to return the eLink to Hornby for the mod, and deemed too expensive to incorporate. The eLink would have acted as a dumb DCC controller, powering the track and also passing dongle traffic from the app.

I did the physical mod using existing components installed to blank allocations already on the eLink PCB, but the firmware update to enable Xpressnet was never released, so it went dead in the water.
Reminds me of the policy that canned the (would have been) useful Select-a-Link adapter cable.

Edited by RAF96
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

After much poking, fighting and the occasional bit of choice language I have squeezed sound into an old Hornby Q1. This one has the chip in the boiler rather than the tender (would have been a doodle in the tender). Squashing the speaker in the boiler was fun. 

https://youtu.be/fqL0OlCnvWg

I wonder when we will learn what the next set of sounds will be. (assuming there will be some). I guess this will be when Hornby announce their models for next year. 

12 hours ago, Kris said:

I wonder when we will learn what the next set of sounds will be. (assuming there will be some). I guess this will be when Hornby announce their models for next year. 

If Hornby had any sense, they'd go through their back catalogue of DCC ready locos and produce sounds for all that didn't already have TTS and TXS sounds, like your Q1.

They should also be transferring more TTS profiles to TXS, for example, the "rare" Hall, 2P and 4F ones!

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If Hornby had any sense, they'd go through their back catalogue of DCC ready locos and produce sounds for all that didn't already have TTS and TXS sounds, like your Q1.

They should also be transferring more TTS profiles to TXS, for example, the "rare" Hall, 2P and 4F ones!

I would expect them to go the Castle as they have that in the sound files and have new Castles due for release. 

2P and 4F are already available. 

38 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It’s been said before - TXS soundfiles are not a “transfer from existing TTS files”, they are all new . Consequently it’s a substantial piece of work to build new files and it will take some time. Remember also that many (if not all) of the sounds are recorded from the real locos wherever possible but of course that depends on those classes being in service rather than in the workshop.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Would make more sense to go through the diesel classes than the steam if there is limited resources. The Hornby sounds are good for diesels and more widely accepted (ie there is a larger potential market) because the diesel projects aren't hamstrung by the 'one beat to the revolution randomness of the steam projects.

I've got 2 TXS awaiting the 47 project and will buy more for the Class 20 and 40 when they are released (non of which are for Hornby models)

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2023 at 09:11, RedgateModels said:

I've certainly tested the Dongle with a very old Select, probably one of the earliest versions of the firmware. 

On 02/09/2023 at 11:11, RAF96 said:

The dongle works fine with any version of Elite or Select, but obviously the more recent the firmware the better due to other enhancement stuff. There is no reason why folk shouldn’t have their controllers updated either by the user (Elite) or by return to works for a modest fee (Select).
There was even a plan to add an Xpressnet port to the eLink but that was canned as unnecessary due to the need to return the eLink to Hornby for the mod, and deemed too expensive to incorporate. The eLink would have acted as a dumb DCC controller, powering the track and also passing dongle traffic from the app.

I did the physical mod using existing components installed to blank allocations already on the eLink PCB, but the firmware update to enable Xpressnet was never released, so it went dead in the water.
Reminds me of the policy that canned the (would have been) useful Select-a-Link adapter cable.

Hs the dongle been tested with a Lenz or Z21 yet please?

I could volunteer for an exhibition conditions test in just under four weeks.....!

41 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Would make more sense to go through the diesel classes than the steam if there is limited resources. The Hornby sounds are good for diesels and more widely accepted (ie there is a larger potential market) because the diesel projects aren't hamstrung by the 'one beat to the revolution randomness of the steam projects.

I've got 2 TXS awaiting the 47 project and will buy more for the Class 20 and 40 when they are released (non of which are for Hornby models)

Class 20 is Q2 2024 according to Hornby when i emailled to ask about it.

• Informative/Useful 1