Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

I know this is not a Hornby issue, but wouldn't it be nice if the DCC sound decoder retailers came up with a common file format that contained DCC functions verses Function effects. Then any DCC controller manufacturer could load this file to populate the functions as Hornby do on the HM7000 app. I have a Digikeijs, yes I know that they are bankrupt and I won't get any further updates, but when the new supplier updates its interface it would be nice to load a function map, rather than having to go to a paper copy to read them. Perhaps it is already implemented it which case ignore this.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, ColinB said:

I know this is not a Hornby issue, but wouldn't it be nice if the DCC sound decoder retailers came up with a common file format that contained DCC functions verses Function effects. Then any DCC controller manufacturer could load this file to populate the functions as Hornby do on the HM7000 app. I have a Digikeijs, yes I know that they are bankrupt and I won't get any further updates, but when the new supplier updates its interface it would be nice to load a function map, rather than having to go to a paper copy to read them. Perhaps it is already implemented it which case ignore this.

Read up on Railcom+ and the ECoS command station - that does exactly what you want 😉

The problem is that no-one wanted to pay the fees they want for it.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2024 at 21:23, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

I would be very interested in a recording of the sound profiles done directly from the speaker outputs on the decoder which would reveal much more about the quality of what’s on the chip

Not neccessarily. The frequency reponse may be tailored somewhat to the appaling low frequency reponse of the speakers.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Not neccessarily. The frequency reponse may be tailored somewhat to the appaling low frequency reponse of the speakers.

I have listened to their recordings on headphones and they are much higher fidelity than when they come out of the loco speaker.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, RAF96 said:

I have listened to their recordings on headphones and they are much higher fidelity than when they come out of the loco speaker.

I imagine so. Just change to different types of speakers and you can hear the difference. Even the speaker enclosure makes a huge difference. The only issue with the electronics is the amount of memory to store the sound, the bigger the memory the more samples you can make which brings it more to the original analogue source. Most of the time though I struggle with finding space to fit the speaker without attacking the loco with a Dremel, so it is a bit academic really.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at installing an HM7000 chip in a Hornby J83 - the example I have is DCC fitted, but only a 4-pin decoder, so it will be hard wired.

Has anyone done this before? Its the same chassis as the Hornby Jinty. I'd like to include the powerbank, but not sure if theres room.

On 18/02/2024 at 18:51, Bob83a said:

Now that profiles are available for TTS decoders are available, so that you can control these loco’s via the dongle, are Hornby going to do the same for their earlier sound decoders (Loksound) that were released in models that had the XS suffix.

My dongle arrived! Plugged into my Elite and popped a TTS cl37 on and away we go. But, I’ve a lot to think/learn about how it functions. The App sees the dongle as a resettable device (like one loco{chip}?) So I guess? Other locos can be added-without having to re-enter the loco address each time?  Anyway, for thickos like me a comprehensive manual would be useful. I await others wisdom! 
Don't get me wrong, I think the dongle makes TXS even more amazing. It’s a great system-once I understand it! 

Edited by miles73128
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Just create your locos in the engine shed and assign them to the dongle device 😁🚂🚂🚂

Right, thx. Kinda guessed it would be like that. I defo need to have a good look at the details. But thanks for the steer ! 

5 hours ago, JohnR said:

I'm looking at installing an HM7000 chip in a Hornby J83 - the example I have is DCC fitted, but only a 4-pin decoder, so it will be hard wired.

Has anyone done this before? Its the same chassis as the Hornby Jinty. I'd like to include the powerbank, but not sure if theres room.

That model is so old, there is tons of real estate. I don't think it even has a proper cab.

Is there a reason why Hornby have not released profiles for the TTS chips installed in R6888TTS or R6925TTS I.e the Vans with no motors, or have I missed them somehow.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

That model is so old, there is tons of real estate. I don't think it even has a proper cab.

The newer model has the motor moved forward, so there isn't as much room as there was, especially given the increased size of the Bluetooth chip. I'm planning on putting the speaker in the space for the coal bunker, but wondered if anyone had arranged things to allow both the large decoder chip and the power bank. 

On 19/02/2024 at 19:28, melmerby said:

It would helpful to have the files or a recording off the decoder because then I can start the process of analysing them and seeing what, if any, EQ has already been applied by Hornby.

Once I know that I can start the process of finding a speaker whose measured characteristics are a half decent match for the EQed file. 

Though finding anything with decent linear frequency response below and above 500Hz and which fits in OO locos is very challenging. 

What would be even more helpful would be if Hornby made developer tools available to create your own sound files and/or to EQ existing sound files to improve their performance with your chosen speaker. However I doubt Hornby will do anything as open-minded and open source as that. 

14 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Has anyone installed a Next18 TXS chip to a Heljan class 11?

I was planning to do so, but it's just a fraction too big length wise, so have settled for a Loksound v5 from Roads and Rails with a single stayqlive capacitor fitted to the chip

Nathan

2 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

I was planning to do so, but it's just a fraction too big length wise, so have settled for a Loksound v5 from Roads and Rails with a single stayqlive capacitor fitted to the chip

Nathan

I had planned on doing the same but hasnt he altered his so the lighting is directional? I would want it so all 4 lights are on together as per the prototype

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, meatloaf said:

I had planned on doing the same but hasnt he altered his so the lighting is directional? I would want it so all 4 lights are on together as per the prototype

IIRC he put the shunt mode lights on a different function so you could have either.

He's a decent bloke, I'm sure he'd remap the functions for you before sending the decoder if you ask.

• RMweb Premium

I purchased the dongle today from my local shop. I've had a few minutes playing with it and I am impressed. The functionality is very intuitive which is lucky as the manual you get with it is poor. 

And a link to a quick video showing my first experiments and attempts at using it. 

https://youtu.be/HSvqUBtGAS8

Edited by Kris

3 hours ago, Kris said:

I purchased the dongle today from my local shop. I've had a few minutes playing with it and I am impressed. The functionality is very intuitive which is lucky as the manual you get with it is poor. 

And a link to a quick video showing my first experiments and attempts at using it. 

https://youtu.be/HSvqUBtGAS8

Agreed! I’d love to know how to import TTS function maps!

Dongle how to guides here https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides

The TTS profiles referred to are simply the function key assignments to save you having to type them in. You cannot import a TTS sound file.

Set up your legacy locos in the Engine Shed then assign them all to the dongle. They appear on the control screen loco ribbon same as the HM7K locos. The only limitation is you cannot read CVs over the air as they are commanded thru' the rails as per normal.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Dongle how to guides here https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides

The TTS profiles referred to are simply the function key assignments to save you having to type them in. You cannot import a TTS sound file.

Set up your legacy locos in the Engine Shed then assign them all to the dongle. They appear on the control screen loco ribbon same as the HM7K locos. The only limitation is you cannot read CVs over the air as they are commanded thru' the rails as per normal.

Right. I'm with you. And thanks for the advice - very useful. However:

When I follow the procedure to load the function map, it's only giving me the option of assigning to the Dongle, not a choice of the other locos assigned to the dongle in the Engine Shed. e.g.

"Tap on Profiles. Tap on the Profile panel of the Function Map you wish to import. In the Decoder Selection box, tap on Select Now > Select your Locomotive from the Decoder Selection pop-up box"   - But it only gives me the option of TXS Dongle - #1 (not other locos assigned to the Dongle).

Alternatively: 

If I go to an assigned loco in the Engine Shed and select import function map , it only has an option of "Default (HM700)" ?

So I cant work out how to access/upload the individual function maps for multiple {different} TTS files for different locos assigned to the Dongle in the Engine Shed.

1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

Right. I'm with you. And thanks for the advice - very useful. However:

When I follow the procedure to load the function map, it's only giving me the option of assigning to the Dongle, not a choice of the other locos assigned to the dongle in the Engine Shed. e.g.

"Tap on Profiles. Tap on the Profile panel of the Function Map you wish to import. In the Decoder Selection box, tap on Select Now > Select your Locomotive from the Decoder Selection pop-up box"   - But it only gives me the option of TXS Dongle - #1 (not other locos assigned to the Dongle).

Alternatively: 

If I go to an assigned loco in the Engine Shed and select import function map , it only has an option of "Default (HM700)" ?

So I cant work out how to access/upload the individual function maps for multiple {different} TTS files for different locos assigned to the Dongle in the Engine Shed.

There is a bug that only allows the first function map to be imported. They are working on a fix, but in the meantime here is a bit of a convoluted work-around issued to the test team.

• Unassign any locomotives from the HM7040 in the Manage Device screen. 

• Create a new 'Temp' vehicle in the Engine Shed. 

• Assign the HM7040 to it, ensuring that this is the only locomotive the 7040 is assigned to. 

• Tap on Settings.

• Tap on Profiles.

• Find your chosen function map.

• Plug in the HM7040 / 'Temp' loco.

• Tap on Import Function Map.

• Go to Locomotive Settings of the 'Temp' locomotive. 

• Tap on Export Function Map.

• Save the Function Map with a given name. 

• Go to Engine Shed. 

• Tap on the correct locomotive you wish for the newly exported function map to be applied to.

• Tap on Import Function Map.

• Choose the Function Map you recently exported.

• This will install the function map for another locomotive.

• Repeat this process using the 'Temp' locomotive with other profiles, exporting each Function Map out and re-importing them back in to the correct locomotive.

• Once complete, go to Manage Devices, tap on HM7040 and assign the HM7040 to all locomotives you wish to control with it.

Once it is fixed it will follow the previously documented method.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1