Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I'm having a bit of a problem with one of my HM7000 locos - I think I need to uninstall and reinstall the app on my tablet.

Is there anything I need to do first? For example do I need to Unassign my existing locos or even Unlink & Delete them? I don't want to reinstall the app and find that the new install tells me that my locos are linked or assigned to some other app and then won't allow me connect to them.

And is there any stored data that I should delete as well?

I've been looking through the guides and I think I've found the answer, at least to the first part:

"Please note that you are advised to Unlink and Delete any HM7000 decoders from HM | DCC prior to deleting the app from your phone or tablet. If it is not possible to do this, you may be required to Reset your HM7000 decoder prior to linking it to the new install of the HM | DCC app.

- It is advised to use the Export Device Reset Codes from the Settings ‘ ‘ screen prior to uninstalling the HM | DCC app.

- If this is not possible, 1-use Reset Codes can be requested from HM.customercare@Hornby.com if required."

• Informative/Useful 1

There is a universal reset code which may still be valid - Reset1234 - case sensitive.

Else use a4c13800xxxx where xxxx is the last 4 of your decoder in lower case for any letters.

• Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

If you use samsung smart switch and move the app between devices do you still need to delete all your locos ? 

Each device has a unique ID for each of its interfaces, moving things from one device to another does not change the ID.

The ID is usually a MAC address which is used for Ethernet and Wi-Fi. This ID is used in the pairing of the devices including your phone/tablet and your HM7000 decoder.

Therefore moving things with the smart switch would be the same as moving to a device from another maker.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Bob83a said:

Each device has a unique ID for each of its interfaces, moving things from one device to another does not change the ID.

The ID is usually a MAC address which is used for Ethernet and Wi-Fi. This ID is used in the pairing of the devices including your phone/tablet and your HM7000 decoder.

Therefore moving things with the smart switch would be the same as moving to a device from another maker.

Apple has shown that moving old to new device takes everything as a clone, hence also carries over exact functionality. 
Whether Android device 'swap to new device' software does that is in their hands. To be proven on a case by case device to device basis.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2024 at 22:43, meatloaf said:

Has anyone installed a Next18 TXS chip to a Heljan class 11?

Hi 'Meatloaf',

Just found your post and thought I'd let you know how I've got on with the Class 11 Diesel.

I have successfully installed a Hornby HM 7000 N18 sound decoder into my Model Rail LMS Class 11.

1.  The speaker is only held in place by double sided tape so can be gently prised off the PCB and moved slightly after fitting the decoder.

2. The track pick up socket on the PCB prevents the decoder being plugged into the socket due to its extra width. I solved this by removing the socket and purchasing a pack of 1.25mm JST sockets and plugs off ebay at a cost of £ 4.57 including P&P from China (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225801933884).  I have 19 of these combinations spare so if anyone would like one they can have a pair for the cost of £1.50 by second class post. Contact me by email please.

3. To remove the socket gently grasp the soket with tweeezers or your finger nails and gently use a fine tipped soldering iron to quickly melt the solder on the underneath of the pcb and pull the socket out.

4.  You only need the female part of the connector to solder back into the same fixing holes as the original socket. I cut the wires to about 2 inches in length as shown in the accompanying photos of the pcb after removing the socket and connecting the 'flying' socket. The socket can then be pushed underneath the pcb before refitting the body.

5.  The male part of the conenctor comes in handy to connect LED lights fornt and rear as the LMS version does not have the shunting lights fitted to the other versions.

6.  Relocate the speaker forward of the pcb - I didn't need to use a fresh piece of tape.

I installed the Sound profile for the Class 08 from the HM DCC website and all works well including the cab light on F22 but I have managed to shuffle the function keys using the app to get the cab light on the F5 key and swapped the "Automatic Function Control" F28 with the Sound On/Off key F1.

One other issue I found was that I had to set CV29 to 3 to get the loco running in the right direction when using it on DCC rather than bluetooth control although this hasn't changed the direction on bluetooth using the app which seems strange!

Hope this information is of use.

John Bicknell

Lancashire

1.25mm JST connectors with leads.jpg

Heljan Class 11 - HM N18 Decoder - PCB Modified.jpg

Heljan Class 11 - HM N18 Decoder Fitted.jpg

• Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, john_bicknell said:

Hi 'Meatloaf',

Just found your post and thought I'd let you know how I've got on with the Class 11 Diesel.

I have successfully installed a Hornby HM 7000 N18 sound decoder into my Model Rail LMS Class 11.

1.  The speaker is only held in place by double sided tape so can be gently prised off the PCB and moved slightly after fitting the decoder.

2. The track pick up socket on the PCB prevents the decoder being plugged into the socket due to its extra width. I solved this by removing the socket and purchasing a pack of 1.25mm JST sockets and plugs off ebay at a cost of £ 4.57 including P&P from China (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225801933884).  I have 19 of these combinations spare so if anyone would like one they can have a pair for the cost of £1.50 by second class post. Contact me by email please.

3. To remove the socket gently grasp the soket with tweeezers or your finger nails and gently use a fine tipped soldering iron to quickly melt the solder on the underneath of the pcb and pull the socket out.

4.  You only need the female part of the connector to solder back into the same fixing holes as the original socket. I cut the wires to about 2 inches in length as shown in the accompanying photos of the pcb after removing the socket and connecting the 'flying' socket. The socket can then be pushed underneath the pcb before refitting the body.

5.  The male part of the conenctor comes in handy to connect LED lights fornt and rear as the LMS version does not have the shunting lights fitted to the other versions.

6.  Relocate the speaker forward of the pcb - I didn't need to use a fresh piece of tape.

I installed the Sound profile for the Class 08 from the HM DCC website and all works well including the cab light on F22 but I have managed to shuffle the function keys using the app to get the cab light on the F5 key and swapped the "Automatic Function Control" F28 with the Sound On/Off key F1.

One other issue I found was that I had to set CV29 to 3 to get the loco running in the right direction when using it on DCC rather than bluetooth control although this hasn't changed the direction on bluetooth using the app which seems strange!

Hope this information is of use.

John Bicknell

Lancashire

1.25mm JST connectors with leads.jpg

Heljan Class 11 - HM N18 Decoder - PCB Modified.jpg

Heljan Class 11 - HM N18 Decoder Fitted.jpg

The Hornby speaker plug/socket is 0.8mm pitch.

SPEAKER UPDATE.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Has anyone tried these AE Models / Dcc Concepts stay alives with the HM7000? 

Will using one void any warranty on the deocder?

Only if it can be shown that the unit was the cause of failure if indeed it does cause a failure.

Jenny Kirk has some on test and will be putting the results on her channel.

• Informative/Useful 3

Looking for a little guidance please . I have connect d a Dapol o gauge signal to a train tech sc4. I have also connected a hm6010 to the the hm7000z and am looking to connect the hm6010 to the train tech 4 . Question is am I over complicating this by using train tech 4 and could I just go from Dapol signal to Hm6010 ? The Dapol signal has red black power feed then 

brown stop

yellow common

orange proceed 

wondering which goes in A , which in C and which in B ?

hope makes sense many thanks 

Edited by simons9

C is positive either 12 or 14 v depending upon which 6010 port it is. A and B are switched negatives that can be pulsed or steady depending upon settings in the HM7K app.

I have seen a wiring diagram of a similar signal, where the red and black power the device and the other 3 simply flip the internal electronics direction by way of an on-on toggle switch. There was a caution not to apply external power to the 3-way connections.

I would not use the 6010 for that switching.

This topic refers and has the wiring diagram.

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/35205-wiring-Dapol-two-arm-junction-signal/#comment-374774

Edited by RAF96
Add ref out

Many thanks for coming back to me , yes I think the challenge the challenge I have with the train tech sc4 is it is triggered via Dcc , whereas the hm7000  uses Bluetooth . I was hoping the hm6010 would be able to switch the  train tech sc4 . Is there anyway of switching Dcc accessories from the hm7000 , otherwise I guess I need to go back to manual switches sadly 

22 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

is there a fault with the app, as when i let the tablet screen turn off after 30 seconds,  i turn it back on and the app freeze's for few seconds,  some times i need to exit the app and open it again?

At launch, the recommendation was to disable the screen timeout function, primarily to ensure profile loading was uninterrupted. Not seen the issue you report as a result but when, on occasion, I have switched the tablet to standby without closing the app, it fires up as if nothing has happened when switched back on.

20 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

At launch, the recommendation was to disable the screen timeout function, primarily to ensure profile loading was uninterrupted. Not seen the issue you report as a result but when, on occasion, I have switched the tablet to standby without closing the app, it fires up as if nothing has happened when switched back on.

it lets me scroll to the loco at the top but function list and speed controller freeze,  but yeah i will disable the time out screen

Thanks I already know about the UK locomotive profiles and enjoying the use of them but

I am after sound profiles for continental models and

I am assuming there should be some somewhere as Hornby are selling TXS sound decoders on their Rivarossi and Jouef websites (with advertising in the native language).

21 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Thanks I already know about the UK locomotive profiles and enjoying the use of them but

I am after sound profiles for continental models and

I am assuming there should be some somewhere as Hornby are selling TXS sound decoders on their Rivarossi and Jouef websites (with advertising in the native language).

I am sure there was a comment on the Hornby forum that the sound decoders in the International models were ESU not TXS but the 2024 international range launch did ref to TXS fitted locos. A question for Hornby tech to confirm-deny. SD500 is the only one listed so far (for Rivarossi E656 FS). It is presumed the Hornby sound  Tech Team schedule will be driven by the International Teams demands - if and when issued.

@simons9 at present the app only support dcc and bluetooth switching of accessories by way of the HM6010 module which is essentially a bluetooth version of the Hornby R8247 acc decoder.

@The Meerkat set the app so that it doesn't drop out along with putting the device into never sleep mode.

IMG_1907.jpeg

Edited by RAF96

Apologies if this issue has already been answered within this thread (I’ve had a quick look and can’t see anything).

Ive just fitted 4 HM7000 21 pin sound decoders in 4 Hornby HST power cars and although they seem to work fine on Hornby’s Bluetooth app, when trying to read them on my Z21, I just get the following options;

1. absolutely nothing  - the program address screen just times out and nothing is shown.

2. a decoder read of 3, but then when trying to run as loco 3 in the control Panel, the loco doesn’t respond to any functions (ie after switching on functions F0 & F1 the lights and sound on the loco don’t respond at all?

3. an error message saying CV read error? 

I’ve tried switching the track wires on the Z21 from Program track to Main Track, but this makes no difference?

Im baffled as I fitted some other HM7000 21 pin sound decoders last month and they worked fine on the Z21! 

If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this, they would be very gratefully received! 

Thanks in advance, Nick.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 22/03/2024 at 13:23, RAF96 said:

I use 4 digit addressing from an Elite without problems.
A couple of glitches that have been seen with long addressing. If you load a new or reload an existing profile you have to over-type your long address again in loco settings even if the address is showing correctly, then refresh CVs in the app editor and check CVs 17 and 18 have written the correct numbers for your chosen address. Some have been translating wrongly, in either case the decoder will not respond.

The other glitch currently under fettle is CV 19 (consist) address can shift from default zero to any number (often 16), meaning although sound works independently the loco thinks it is in a consist and will not work on the decoder home address.

If you can confirm those possibilities are not in play then I can escalate the LZV100 case up the ladder for investigation.

Hi Rob,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Work/life/exhibitions got in the way.

I've updated everything as far as I can - dongle, etc.

The Lenz LZV is running v3.6 (the latest version),.

I still can't get other decoders to work with the HM7000/dongle on long addresses.

I tried the CV update and I got an error "Compatibility notice This feature is only compatible with HM7000 decoders", so doesn't appear to be available with the dongle.

If you could escalate the issue, that would be most appreciated.

It would appear to be at least partly sorted as @Tony Walker reported that long addresses work with a LZV200 base unit.

My plan is to replace the ageing LH100 handsets on mine and the club layouts, so if it can be sorted, then I'm up for buying three more dongles for my own layout and probably another four for the club layout.

TIA

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, newbryford said:

If you could escalate the issue, that would be most appreciated.

I can escalate the report I have already made to the Tech Team, but you could simply address the matter direct to George at HM.customercare@Hornby.com who is the project engineer for the app, decoders and dongle. He will be able to respond direct to you with how the fettle is going.

I know the Tech Team were looking at getting their LZV updated so they could try emulating the problem. Their problem may be finding someone with the update chip in stock.

You are correct about not being able to read and write legacy decoders over the air via the dongle - the loco has to be on the programming track under a DCC controller service mode programming conditions.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

I can escalate the report I have already made to the Tech Team, but you could simply address the matter direct to George at HM.customercare@Hornby.com who is the project engineer for the app, decoders and dongle. He will be able to respond direct to you with how the fettle is going.

I know the Tech Team were looking at getting their LZV updated so they could try emulating the problem. Their problem may be finding someone with the update chip in stock.

Thanks Rob, I will contact George.

A&H Models are listing the v3.6 upgrade on their website.

https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/lenz-set100-software-version-36-1883-c.asp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I have recorded a video showing fitting of decoder and speaker into a class 401 as well as running through the sounds of the forthcoming class 423/4VEP sound profile:

Thanks Jenny. I have just a couple of questions if I may please.

1/ Is there a compresseur sound? (very distinctive on these EMUs coming on almost after every braking action)

2/ The sound seemed a little off (tinish) to my mind, could that be the recording? Or wires taped to the top of the speaker (not sure if this has an effect)?