Hornby 2023 - Playtrains

AY Mod

I think the real missing item here is an adaptor wagon to allow for using normal tension lock fitted stock with these items. Marklin do one for their system I believe, seems like a no-brainer for Kohler & co

https://www.thekidstrainsetcompany.co.uk/marklin-my-world-kids-train-set-adaptor-wagon-26-p.asp

Edited by Vanguard 5374
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you mean "sad" then to be fair, there are buildings on the way announced last year, and due in Feb, along with some new wagons.

You just get the sense that development has pretty much run its course beyond  reliveries.  There's no new stuff beyond what has been previously announced.  An attempt at a steam loco perhaps?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I think the real missing item here is an adaptor wagon to allow for using normal tension lock fitted stock with these items. Marklin do one for their system I believe, seems like a no-brainer for Kohler & co

https://www.thekidstrainsetcompany.co.uk/marklin-my-world-kids-train-set-adaptor-wagon-26-p.asp

They never have quite that right though: https://www.hattons.co.uk/534256/hornby_r774set_hornby_junior_clockwork_starter_set/stockdetail

This was mine...and then it didn't "add" to my Mainline one when that arrived (admittedly I got advanced rather rapidly to it!)

2 minutes ago, Sam Szeto said:

Maybe kids of today are different, but I'm very suprised there's no steam locomotives. If they did I might get one as a cheap hack around project.

In my experience (various nieces and nephews), kids today are still fascinated by steam trains. Apparently it's something to do with spatial awareness and the fact that a steam engine has all sorts of things going on (moving rods, steam and smoke etc).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/01/2023 at 07:21, Pmorgancym said:

You just get the sense that development has pretty much run its course beyond  reliveries.  There's no new stuff beyond what has been previously announced.  An attempt at a steam loco perhaps?

On 10/01/2023 at 07:25, Vanguard 5374 said:

Hate to drag up Marklin again, but they've managed a steam loco in a similar range:

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/29308

Not the prettiest model, but I imagine it's a delight to the intended audience.

It does seem more of the same without an addition of a steam loco. Marklin's range does look good.

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...

In a way it makes sense, because surely the future toy entry market will now be shifting to TT?

Get kids started on TT and then move up to full TT sets. Naturally this will take years (maybe a decade or 2) to establish but its a long term strategy.

Can Hornby hang out that long though?

At the same time, there may be a glut of Connies and Triang Jinty sets that could bring in fresh blood. As a I kid, I had a big silver domed red version of Polly and the dock shunter too (still have them). Could work, but children of today have different needs so....

5 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

In a way it makes sense, because surely the future toy entry market will now be shifting to TT?

Not for the 3 to 8-year-old market Playtrains, and its successor is aimed at.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Little bit dissapointed they are stopping the range so quickly, maybe time to just pick up some of the sets. My little one is only 2 and he's just a bit young for OO sizes and fidelity of getting them onto the tracks, although he's handy with the Thomas TrackMaster stuff. Seemed ripe for expansion, although did think something may have been up with the lack of updates recently. Looks like the unreleased items like 'Scottie' etc have been cancelled as well.

New management clearing house...

Edited by Richy59

8 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

This was a surprise - but we are told a new product aimed at this market is in development. With Martyn's experience at Tomy, this sounds interesting.

That's interesting the Tomy trains range with its pastiche modelling of real life trains is quite interesting and I find quite collectable, plus pretty mich 1 common motorised chassis.

Of course, we got one for our little boy for Christmas, with a couple of extras. Might have to get the proverbial skates on to pick up a few other bits!

20231225_090430.jpg.7d4d49dba3fc73164d04c2dd77954e37.jpg

Ah well, he enjoys what he has atbthe moment, and there's always 'daddy's room' to provide further rail based entertainment!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A new Playtrains set announced today:

image.png.08d088f795b1b3243434056d7ee2da8e.png

Introducing the Playtrains High Speed Train Set!

Designed with little engineers in mind, the High Speed Train Set comes with an easy build track system, multiple sounds, working lights, and a battery-operated infrared hand controller to run the train forward and backwards at various speeds.

Battery operated
Lights and sounds
Remote control
Easy build track
The new set offers the perfect opportunity for young ones, aged 5+ to unleash their imaginations and build their ultimate model railway world. Plus, with options to expand with track packs and building accessories, the fun never ends!

Don't miss out on this exciting journey – pre-order your Playtrains High Speed Train Set today and watch as your child's creativity unfolds!

Playtrains High-Speed Train Set 

£49.99

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought they'd killed it off 'once existing stocks are exhausted', maybe they found these in a corner of the warehouse / production slot already committed.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1