RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Diesel & Electric locomotives/units

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if it's already been mentioned elsewhere, I've just spotted this on the Hatton's website: https://www.hattons.co.uk/880996/hornby_r30203_class_121_single_car_dmu_in_coca_cola_livery_railroad_range/stockdetail

I have to admit, I've always found the whole Coca Cola range a bit odd, bit I quite like it. I think I'd be tempted to extend the swoosh to end at a more natural finishing point somewhere around each cab door, probably add a set of mini snow ploughs as well, a nice alternative for a Christmas train set layout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2023 at 14:39, JDW said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned elsewhere, I've just spotted this on the Hatton's website: https://www.hattons.co.uk/880996/hornby_r30203_class_121_single_car_dmu_in_coca_cola_livery_railroad_range/stockdetail

I have to admit, I've always found the whole Coca Cola range a bit odd, bit I quite like it. I think I'd be tempted to extend the swoosh to end at a more natural finishing point somewhere around each cab door, probably add a set of mini snow ploughs as well, a nice alternative for a Christmas train set layout. 

Might be tempting, just to replace the chassis under my detailed and corrected Lima Class 117......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Might be tempting, just to replace the chassis under my detailed and corrected Lima Class 117......

Wait for it to become discounted . Likewise I'm waiting to see if I could use chassis on a dmu project . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 16/03/2023 at 19:23, scouse889 said:

R3575 153379 was an ex CT liveried unit with EMT branding, Derby to Matlock service, so indeed it seems likely they used one of these as a base with a vinyl on the side for this preproduction sample. Quite how they do the production version remains to be seen, but they do seem keen on transfers recently…..

It too is unfortunately one of the reasons why I've cancelled my order until I see the model in the flesh. Sadly I fear it'll be wrapped in large waterslide transfers than printed. 

• Agree 3

On 19/03/2023 at 14:39, JDW said:

Another quality bit of marketing . I might buy into it if it was Pepsi max…

The sort of quality decisions that see Poor old Simon and Montana standing in front a truckload of sTeampunk crap trying to sell it at the Dorset steam fair on the TV show this week ,

I truly hope TT is a better thought out idea 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

quality bit of marketing

Well, the coca cola stuff has been selling well for -years- now, including in some of Hornby's continental brands, so I think you'll find they consider it so.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PeterStiles said:

Well, the coca cola stuff has been selling well for -years- now, including in some of Hornby's continental brands, so I think you'll find they consider it so.

It's often, together with the Santa's express, the only pieces of Hornby you'll find in most (online) toy shops in mainland Europe. 

Maybe not so much fuzz online like TT and HM-DCC, that's true. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Another quality bit of marketing . I might buy into it if it was Pepsi max…

The sort of quality decisions that see Poor old Simon and Montana standing in front a truckload of sTeampunk crap trying to sell it at the Dorset steam fair on the TV show this week ,

I truly hope TT is a better thought out idea 

Granted you/I/some/people of this here parish may not like it that much (the Coca-Cola stuff that is) but I would assume that Hornby's core market is still mum/dad with kids who do it for the trains, and I think it must resonate quite well with them. Previous Coca-Cola stuff must have sold alright else they'd knock it on the head you'd imagine. 

• Like 2

I guess so…it’s just irritating when they can’t get things like the 3 greys of 3TTG correct, but spend  a lot of time pumping this stuff out,

I guess I’m not the target market for them really 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I guess so…it’s just irritating when they can’t get things like the 3 greys of 3TTG correct, but spend  a lot of time pumping this stuff out,

I guess I’m not the target market for them really 

Has anyone checked that it is the correct shade of Coca Cola red...? Shouldn't the roof be a darker grey? And blue seats? Shouldn't they be maroon LT-style moquette? Hmmm... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

You wait a decade for some AC Electrics and two arrive at once….

9D21C924-A34F-4D0D-8875-C0B3068726DB.jpeg.b368da554fdb36a0c928a3872f1430c7.jpeg

its been some time since I had a Hornby box delivered….

Both are excellant… right up to the standard you’d expect..

C6FC03DC-F241-4BD5-8B0A-955D4556BC5B.jpeg.edc7f8ce76fc33cbad71d42363e8a47b.jpeg

C1EB9919-A6BA-44EE-907C-214BE00D97C9.jpeg.163a6a81c07f6856c0030fd85bf8eb80.jpeg

interestingly the 91 runs fast but uses 0.3 amps of power !!! Where as the 87 uses a more normal 0.1amp.. but both run fine.. but the 91 will run your electric bill more :-)

551D2153-07E5-4409-AAA3-26F4C461C638.jpeg.301e42e3174c11448c36b484c4397981.jpeg

DC83D41D-5274-46D5-B42B-C3CBAB826E1F.jpeg.c31449b01a7b1ebe2a1a5d1c96cf9da8.jpeg

the 91 paint job is a transfer (you can see where they rubbed down into the vent along the roof), but its a good job..

348E9912-31DB-4773-B468-829C2F11DC7B.jpeg

401CB4EB-C3A7-47A0-B034-CEF90772C203.jpeg

66F989A1-5665-45B5-A9BC-ABA8C871B241.jpeg.3bea4b1bb3567a7da769b6ed16082865.jpeg

Close up on the 87…

9DBF5578-4B38-41E2-B19C-F0CC7B7B1BCF.jpeg.3eccf5626eaa292be4c77662a10038b2.jpegBA7FF20B-A8A1-42D4-A8EB-74AA1E23492E.jpeg.bafb10eb7b59b57a2aa14be47c1b17e7.jpeg

The loco is modelled in the AC disconnected position…

9CBC6092-05BE-4490-9E75-290B73EC7E66.jpeg.e3335526ad6beb89bd885d2de1e2d78b.jpeg

I maybe wrong but 91110 looks sold out at Hornby, so maybe dont wait around.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

I might have missed the exact details from earlier batches, but has anyone noticed that the body tooling of the early Class 31 (Class 30 with Mirrlees engines) have actually been done correctly with different exhaust ports and no grill on the engine door. Has this been the case before? If not then it's a point to Hornby!

Neil.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

In general, fringe ideas and products detract from the proper stuff I would think .

Depends. If it's steampunk and such, yes. But none of the CC models are more than just a very simple fictive version of existing models, Railroad at that. So why not? They aren't the only one, and there are quite a few CC-collectors. If they would make totally new models, like SP, then I agree. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 24/03/2023 at 08:01, HExpressD said:

.......I would assume that Hornby's core market is still mum/dad with kids who do it for the trains,.....

I'm curious.

I wonder where they'd even see them, let alone buy them?

Independent toy shops are relatively rare across the country.

The chains are few in number and only one stocks a small selection of Hornby train sets and no add-ons or accessories.

Argos, who only list a couple of Christmas clearance train sets, have closed the vast majority of their stores and are mainly online with Sainsbury's collection points, or small outlets in certain Sainsbury's stores.

John Lewis dept store, toy departments, don't do this sort of toy.....

So where are all these mums and dads snapping up all these Hornby toy trains from?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I'm curious.

The chains are few in number and only one stocks a small selection of Hornby train sets and no add-ons or accessories.

Argos, who only list a couple of Christmas clearance train sets, have closed the vast majority of their stores and are mainly online with Sainsbury's collection points, or small outlets in certain Sainsbury's stores.

So where are all these mums and dads snapping up all these Hornby toy trains from?

Where are they ? 1980.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/03/2023 at 21:53, zoomer1979 said:

I might have missed the exact details from earlier batches, but has anyone noticed that the body tooling of the early Class 31 (Class 30 with Mirrlees engines) have actually been done correctly with different exhaust ports and no grill on the engine door. Has this been the case before? If not then it's a point to Hornby!

Neil.

Pretty sure this was the same with the first batch. Biggest difference is price tho, I paid £49.99 for my D5511 from Modelzone!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I'm curious.

They appear in Asda's just before Christmas but mot are bought on line.

12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I'm curious.

Hornby website/Amazon/Hattons/eBay would be my guesses.

They used to sell quite well through Argos, I used to work in one (and it wasn't a big one!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

So, you’d have to go out if your way to find them, or hunt them down?

I suppose that depends on how you look at it. In that case do I have to go out of my way to find or hunt down my food shopping because I have to go to a specific shop for it as it doesn't fall out of the sky?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1