Hornby 2023 - Diesel & Electric locomotives/units

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It looks to me that they have decided where their future lies in the 'modern traction' market although maybe some other announcements could appear through the year.  But detail nonsenses apart they are clearly avoiding the high-end and looking to the HD brand with metal body etc as their future premium end of the market.  It will be interesting to see how that works out for them as while we don't know how many they'll be making it must be a marjket restrained by price and sheer number of people buying in it.

It does look like an interesting choice. I think the 'lower-end' Railroad type stuff does have a place, and it's nice to see some variety - I suspect the Network Rail 101 will be popular - but I think the prices are heading in the wrong direction for what they are. Without wanting to go down the road of a long discussion about rising costs etc, I'm not convinced that the £100+ tags reflect the product, and to me it feels a bit like they're over-priced for the more entry-level modeller, but under-deliver for those with bigger budgets or aspirations.  

I have to admit, I quite like the Network Rail 101. I know it's probably more 'representational' than accurate, but for a lot of people, it's something a bit different and with a bit of toning down could probably look quite nice. I'd be tempted (I keep saying I'll do a Serco one) at somewhere around £90-95, I don't need one but I'd probably buy one because it's different. At £130+, I'm not sure that represents good value any more, to me at least. Or maybe I'm just getting old and remembering the days when a Lima 101 cost £49.99...

Going back to the 37, was 37698 the only one in Loadhaul with a centre headcode? While I don't expect Hornby to consider every aspect of what everyone wants from every model, assuming the artwork on the image is right and it is a centre-headcode body then 698 would not only be right, but could have that extra appeal for those who want to do a bit of personalisation. It carried miniature snowploughs and spent some time with an engine room door from an EWS-liveried loco, both easy detailing projects and for anyone who knows a bit about the hobby and who has looked at photos, something that's be quite easy to pick up on when deciding which loco to produce, I'm sure.

That said, the artwork also shows red buffer beams. Maybe it's just an illustrative example, maybe they've re-used artwork from a BR blue example and not changed the ends, just the sides? Does Hornby have the right body for 37710, with no headcodes? Maybe it's a fuss about nothing.

The Sentinels are quite nice, and I'm glad they chose to produce the buffer-less version rather than just go with an 'it'll do' version with buffers.

RfD 47200 though... shouldn't the roof be blue on all RfD European locos? It looks distinctly grey to me. 

Edited by JDW
Text mangled as a result of page refresh part way through writing, edited to make more readable
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

If a bubble-car is a Bo-Bo (clue, it isn't), why isn't a two-car DMU a Bo-Bo+Bo-Bo?

Come on, these are schoolboy errors, must do better. 😆

Apparently not a Bo-Bo+Bo-Bo - just a Boo-Boo.

Joking aside, I wonder how long it might be before they offer a "razor edge" railcar - packed with an autocoach - take your pick between GWR and early BR colours. Something like this could be great in a "train set".

OK, despite tooling that some people might describe as "superannuable", I suspect they might still want "full fat" prices, but ... .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

No-ne has commented on Iris 2 , and there's something rather odd that deserves comment:

IRIS 2 - Hornby render

As shown on the render this has grills and modified bodywork. It is not simply a bog standard 101 sprayed in custard

Now - are they actually going to issue it with  modified bodysides or not?? 

(If they do, then presumably it would have to be a retool, and you'd be crackers to generate a new tool without the capability to do a normal 101)

• Like 1

Likewise to the Loadhaul Class 37 with wrong ends:

Why choose an NBL Class 43 Warship (again) when the tooling is Class 42 with relevant examples in maroon full yellow ends available (D815/17/23/29 would have been 'accurate') - and the yellow should extend down to the top of the bufferbeam (something Lima got right on their last releases);

Class 47 D1683 didn't have Serck roof shutters when new, there were plenty that did - and it appears to have headlamps.....(and.....'Era 4'??)

Edited by Halvarras
Just spotted the era error (not easy to say, that!)

1 hour ago, gpplumy said:

could only do so if they have made the dumb style removable which id doubt

IMO they will be removable. i cannot imagine them retooling the chassis plate just to include dumb buffers for this, more likely tooled up dumb buffers to fit the holes already moulding into the chassis plate. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

IMO they will be removable. i cannot imagine them retooling the chassis plate just to include dumb buffers for this, more likely tooled up dumb buffers to fit the holes already moulding into the chassis plate. 

i worded that badly, they may be removable, but id imagin they are glued in and painted as part of the buffer beam , not intended to be removed

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

No-ne has commented on Iris 2 , and there's something rather odd that deserves comment:

IRIS 2 - Hornby render

As shown on the render this has grills and modified bodywork. It is not simply a bog standard 101 sprayed in custard

(If they do, then presumably it would have to be a retool, and you'd be crackers to generate a new tool without the capability to do a normal 101)

I’d imagine that the grills are printed on. They won’t be making a new tool. I suppose that as the grills are recessed it might be possible to temporarily glue on a grill bit to the tool that could be removed later, although you’d need to ask a tool maker about that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

IRIS 2 - Hornby render

No they'll print over the windows 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Wrong nose style for the number again, standard approach for railroad though. Seems daft given there were plenty of centre head code 37s in Loadhaul

This happened before on one of the Railroad 37 models.  I can't remember which off the top of my head, but the graphics had the wrong nose style for the number which was corrected by Hornby for the actual model - and it either involved changing the nose end mouldings to produce the intended locomotive, or changing the locomotive number to match the available toolings. So it was correct in the end. Email Hornby to let them know, and they may well do the same thing here.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, JDW said:

It does look like an interesting choice. I think the 'lower-end' Railroad type stuff does have a place, and it's nice to see some variety - I suspect the Network Rail 101 will be popular - but I think the prices are heading in the wrong direction for what they are. Without wanting to go down the road of a long discussion about rising costs etc, I'm not convinced that the £100+ tags reflect the product, and to me it feels a bit like they're over-priced for the more entry-level modeller, but under-deliver for those with bigger budgets or aspirations.  

I have to admit, I quite like the Network Rail 101. I know it's probably more 'representational' than accurate, but for a lot of people, it's something a bit different and with a bit of toning down could probably look quite nice. I'd be tempted (I keep saying I'll do a Serco one) at somewhere around £90-95, I don't need one but I'd probably buy one because it's different. At £130+, I'm not sure that represents good value any more, to me at least. Or maybe I'm just getting old and remembering the days when a Lima 101 cost £49.99...

Going back to the 37, was 37698 the only one in Loadhaul with a centre headcode? While I don't expect Hornby to consider every aspect of what everyone wants from every model, assuming the artwork on the image is right and it is a centre-headcode body then 698 would not only be right, but could have that extra appeal for those who want to do a bit of personalisation. It carried miniature snowploughs and spent some time with an engine room door from an EWS-liveried loco, both easy detailing projects and for anyone who knows a bit about the hobby and who has looked at photos, something that's be quite easy to pick up on when deciding which loco to produce, I'm sure.

That said, the artwork also shows red buffer beams. Maybe it's just an illustrative example, maybe they've re-used artwork from a BR blue example and not changed the ends, just the sides? Does Hornby have the right body for 37710, with no headcodes? Maybe it's a fuss about nothing.

The Sentinels are quite nice, and I'm glad they chose to produce the buffer-less version rather than just go with an 'it'll do' version with buffers.

RfD 47200 though... shouldn't the roof be blue on all RfD European locos? It looks distinctly grey to me. 

37884 was another centre headcode example with 37698.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

This happened before on one of the Railroad 37 models.  I can't remember which off the top of my head, but the graphics had the wrong nose style for the number which was corrected by Hornby for the actual model - and it either involved changing the nose end mouldings to produce the intended locomotive, or changing the locomotive number to match the available toolings. So it was correct in the end. Email Hornby to let them know, and they may well do the same thing here.

37501 in europhoenix 

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, KDG said:

37501 in europhoenix 

That's it - R30047 was announced as 37510 Orion (a converted Type I loco, with incorrect Type II nose ends shown on the artistic render) and produced as 37884 Cepheus (correct with Type II nose ends as shown on the render).

Thanks!

Artistic render:

image.png.38d94f085fd7a15632dfedd039f5bec9.png

Model:

image.png.7ce0804325a56355b66960af839b652c.png

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

R30095 LNER HST….

43238 the NRM power car, after it was debranded and released from Craigentinny on 15th November 2019 and ran for a month  before withdrawal on 15th December 2019.

it seems an odd choice.

I'll see your R30095 LNER HST and I'll raise you:

R3957 LNER Farewell HST....

43006/43112 the repainted blue/grey power cars which ran for four days before withdrawal.

😆

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

I am hoping that R30306 LT sentinel will be provided with buffers as it wears now, as they do not seem to be in the picture. 

4 hours ago, gpplumy said:

could only do so if they have made the dumb style removable which id doubt

At least they've made the effort to replicate it when it was in service. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ravenser said:

IRIS 2 - Hornby render

It’s also odd that the Network Rail 101 is classed by Hornby as Railroad Plus and the Strathclyde PTE 101 is just a Railroad item. Both are the same price. Does anyone know how Hornby classify Railroad and Railroad Plus?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Knapdale said:

Hornby classify Railroad and Railroad Plus?

I believe: Railroad models have 3 colours or less. Railroad+ models have more than 3 colours. Thats what I've read..

Somewhere...

Could have been on RMWeb so who knows how reliable it was?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Knapdale said:

It’s also odd that the Network Rail 101 is classed by Hornby as Railroad Plus and the Strathclyde PTE 101 is just a Railroad item. Both are the same price. Does anyone know how Hornby classify Railroad and Railroad Plus?

I don't think Hornby even know.

Their previous Strathclyde 101s were main range!

• Like 1

Just looking at the Loadhaul 37 again, it’s very much in the “it’s vaguely right box” and not an authentic representation of the numbered loco nor livery.

All 37/7s had their central body side windows plated on refurbishment as they were covered by the extra ballast. Loadhaul had one 37 that didn’t have this feature, 37 516. It never got the Loadhaul logos, just plain black sides. The logo sits over the blanked off window. All the other 37/5 painted black & orange had their windows plated so they could get the logo

lima initially got round this with a paper socket logo but later modified their tooling to fill the window.

Hornby, on this render have kept the window and moved the logo way off to the side and maybe shrunk it to fit too.

Sorry, im a bit of a nerd but realise a Loadhaul 37 for £90 in the shops is going to please a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see the Margate "spin the wheel" train set wagon selector has been used to full effect again

I mean - I often saw a red stripe class 20 in the 1990s with a inner PTA tippler without buffing gear in a livery that sort of was applied to them many years later, an FFA inner with containers from the future, and a breakdown train coach which isn't a wagon.  At least the brake van is in scope.....

Oh and the loco is carrying name and livery inc overhead warning flashed from the 2010s onwards.

Apart from that, spot on.

image.png.8d9282bfa454efc4cd6dd32ac946cdf2.png

Edited by Stuart A
noticed another anomoly
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7