Hornby new 2023 Range “announced” in the February 2023 Railway Modeller

Darius43

Excellent!

Having a fan shroud* is a bit wussy, without it the vehicle could strim clearance for conventional rolling stock through the undergrowth!

* Apart from safety, I suppose it also improves the efficiency of the fan...

Proof, if proof were needed, that Hornby is now primarily led by individuals who by and large are not model railway enthusiasts. Some basic errors in descriptions of products, the increasing prices for all models but particularly older toolings and a lack of interest in liason with dealers, to put it politely. Really sorry to see this happening.

Edited by sirwilliamfrs
correction
  • Round of applause 1

5 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

the all powerful pandering to profits

Businesses that aim to make losses tend not to last very long. Considering Hornby's financial plight over the last few years, making money is important. Don't make money and they won't make any more model trains!

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

39 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

Proof, if proof were needed, that Hornby is now primarily led by individuals who by and large are not model railway enthusiasts. Some basic errors in descriptions of products, the all powerful pandering to profits and a lack of interest in liason with dealers, to put it politely. Really sorry to see this happening.

If you point the errors out to them maybe they can correct them, if you just bang on about it on here, perhaps less so

As an N gauger I can only gaze in wonder at the range or new products coming from Hornby. That isn't a criticism of N gauge manufacturers, just an acknowledgement that the 00 market is much larger than N and that Hornby is the largest UK company involved in model railways. As I recall, Hornby lost its way very badly when SK left some years ago and a number of young guns with a great track record in retail but no knowledge of the model railway business were brought in. Now SK is back Hornby seems to have found it's direction again. It is easy to knock SK and Hornby (and I do occasionally) but at least they are lively and bringing out lots of desirable goodies.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Chris M said:

As I recall, Hornby lost its way very badly when SK left some years ago and a number of young guns with a great track record in retail but no knowledge of the model railway business were brought in. Now SK is back Hornby seems to have found it's direction again. It is easy to knock SK and Hornby (and I do occasionally) but at least they are lively and bringing out lots of desirable goodies.

Only speaking personally, I bought heavily in the interregnum of SK’s absence.  I’ve been waiting for a flat-bunkered motor-fitted H class and a late BR standard-boilered Nelson amongst several other promising lines.

Also surprised at certain recent products (suburban GW for instance) that are now heavily discounted. Now that the previous regime’s product lines have ended, there’s little new of interest to me, bar the odd wagon.

I’m not over enthused by Hornby’s current direction, compared to say Rapido or Accurascale.

edit:  part of the problem “the young guns with retail experience” had was the fallout from SK’s ‘Design Clever” at a time when the industry was continuing to add greater detailing and accuracy. Programmes have long lead times and now we’re back in full SK mode. We shall see how successful this will be.

Edited by Chuffed 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Only speaking personally, I bought heavily in the interregnum of SK’s absence.  I’ve been waiting for a flat-bunkered motor-fitted H class and a late BR standard-boilered Nelson amongst several other promising lines.

Also surprised at certain recent products (suburban GW for instance) that are now heavily discounted. Now that the previous regime’s product lines have ended, there’s little new of interest to me, bar the odd wagon.

I’m not over enthused by Hornby’s current direction, compared to say Rapido or Accurascale.

edit:  part of the problem “the young guns with retail experience” had was the fallout from SK’s ‘Design Clever” at a time when the industry was continuing to add greater detailing and accuracy. Programmes have long lead times and now we’re back in full SK mode. We shall see how successful this will be.

A while after SK left the first time I was in a meeting with a couple of the top people who had been brought in. While they had been very successful retailer managers elsewhere it was clear that they hadn’t got a clue about the model railway business . For all his faults and his ego at least SK understands the business and I believe he is genuinely interested in model railways. I would agree that the current business plan for Hornby has an element of risk. It could work out very well but equally the high borrowing to create new items and ranges at a time when most households are struggling financially could be quite a problem.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

A while after SK left the first time I was in a meeting with a couple of the top people who had been brought in. While they had been very successful retailer managers elsewhere it was clear that they hadn’t got a clue about the model railway business . For all his faults and his ego at least SK understands the business and I believe he is genuinely interested in model railways. I would agree that the current business plan for Hornby has an element of risk. It could work out very well but equally the high borrowing to create new items and ranges at a time when most households are struggling financially could be quite a problem.

also their recent behaviour cant be winning many friends whether its how Hornby treats its retailers, or choosing paths of deliberate confrontation over competing models or some of the large price rises and suspicious timing of models delivered 'after' price rises are in effect.

On 10/01/2023 at 11:00, HExpressD said:

If you point the errors out to them maybe they can correct them, if you just bang on about it on here, perhaps less so

Far from 'banging on', I have offered corrections and (hopefully) constructive criticism politely to Hornby, but of course you have no way of knowing that. My comments are personal observations but scrutiny of previous comments by others says a lot too.