Hornby new 2023 Range “announced” in the February 2023 Railway Modeller

Darius43

22 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

And Hornby had the page for a new product/range up on their website (albeit without any specific items listed), since taken down.

They havn't learned then.  They did that a couple of years ago. AYMod had to go around deleting posts about it...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm not blarting, but a quick Google will reveal at least one retailer has jumped the gun.  If you're the sort who minutely examines your Christmas presents to try and find out what's concealed under the wrapping, then that's your best bet!

You need to read the retailers actual page to see that no gun has been actually jumped. 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

AYMod had to go around deleting posts about it...

And, still, we're the bad boys. Never mind that a reference to some of the information has been on Hornby's Facebook page for a few days. 🤬

I really don't enjoy this time of the year anymore.

• Friendly/supportive 15

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

And, still, we're the bad boys. Never mind that a reference to some of the information has been on Hornby's Facebook page for a few days. 🤬

I really don't enjoy this time of the year anymore.

When they announced TT and said announcements would be all year round I thought at last they've learnt their lessons, but apparently they have only learnt it in small scale.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve seen the announcements, a coca cola livery 800 unit and an only fools and horses class 91 called ‘Dave’ were unexpected that’s for sure! 

Joking apart well done to everyone on here who does know but hasn’t spoiled it for us who don’t

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

You need to read the retailers actual page to see that no gun has been actually jumped. 

The one who's page I looked at did actually list at least one currently unannounced item, complete with R number.  Others were items announced in at least the past two years and yet to be delivered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Digital version isn’t out yet, either. Publication date is 11th this month, as opposed to the usual first Thursday of the month.

My digital version of Hornby Mag arrived last week, I’ve kept very quiet about its contents but I guess tomorrow will be fun and games on the web…..

• Like 3

Just now, nathan70000 said:

It's become quite a common marketing tactic to deliberately orchestrate "leaks" to build up hype and speculation prior to big announcements. I don't know whether that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hornby tried it.

More cock-up than conspiracy I'm afraid. It's all to do with the publication dates of magazines, something it's surprisingly easy to get wrong if you are close to the wire. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

More cock-up than conspiracy I'm afraid. It's all to do with the publication dates of magazines, something it's surprisingly easy to get wrong if you are close to the wire. 

They seem to get it wrong most years lately. If they went back to the Christmas announcement, or 1st Jan announcement then surely that would negate any early leaks. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

They seem to get it wrong most years lately. If they went back to the Christmas announcement, or 1st Jan announcement then surely that would negate any early leaks. 

No. It would just change the date. The information would simply be in an earlier edition of the magazine, which could just as easily leak out.

Worse, @AY Mod and I would have to work on Christmas or New Years day. And we would be really grumpy about that.

More to the point - this isn't Hornby's mistake, I'm not sure how you think it is. It's an error made by the publications concerned.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

That's definitely the wrong shade of green even though I'm looking at it on a computer

2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

Or comparing it to a  faded black and white photo/ 70 + year old memory

That is, of course, part of the initiation ritual for Apprentice brethren of the Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Serious face for a minute, given the problems publishers must have with getting publications out at set dates in the immediate post Christmas period, which seems to make such accidental "spoilers" almost inevitable, why on Earth do Hornby still insist on this whole "big launch" farrago every year?  In the internet age and with social media leaking like the Titanic, surely Hornby need to move on and adapt the approach pretty much every other manufacturer is following, of announcing when stuff is on the slow boat from China?

it seems every year we have this accidental release of "gen", which of course is hugely entertaining for those who like secret squirreling but it does seem a bit old fashioned.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

My digital version of Hornby Mag arrived last week, I’ve kept very quiet about its contents but I guess tomorrow will be fun and games on the web…..

Looks like staff at my local internet sorting office are on strike then😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

More to the point - this isn't Hornby's mistake, I'm not sure how you think it is. It's an error made by the publications concerned.

I wasn’t saying it’s Hornby’s mistake. If they went back to the 25th or 1st dates for announcements, magazines released in the 2nd week of January wouldn’t be released before announcement. I don’t know of any printers that work on Christmas or new years. At least here in New Zealand. 

• RMweb Gold

Does it really matter in the great scheme of things if the embargo gets broken- its not the official secrets act and it actually generates more discussion and debate around Hornby keeping the name to the fore. I suspect they are not that bothered over in Margate.

• Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

I wasn’t saying it’s Hornby’s mistake. If they went back to the 25th or 1st dates for announcements, magazines released in the 2nd week of January wouldn’t be released before announcement. I don’t know of any printers that work on Christmas or new years. At least here in New Zealand. 

One of the leaks was from a digital editon - no printers involved.

There's also the chance that the printers will rush through an issue before Christmas, it's happened in the past to BRM. If that issue then finds it's way into the post, you can be sure that the one time you don't want efficient delivery, it will happen.

Regardless, you might be happy for me to work on Christmas day moderating the discussions, I am less keen so they can stick with the current system as far as I am concerned. It's bad enough we'll have to be sitting on the forum overnight...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Does it really matter in the great scheme of things if the embargo gets broken- its not the official secrets act and it actually generates more discussion and debate around Hornby keeping the name to the fore. I suspect they are not that bothered over in Margate.

In the overall scheme of things, possibly not, but it is up to Hornby to decide that and they may have good reasons, such as getting the website readyt to take orders that would influence this.

Your knowledge of how bothered they are is different to mine. They certainly seemed bothered a few days ago by email.

31 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Worse, @AY Mod and I would have to work on Christmas or New Years day. And we would be really grumpy about that.

Surely not, a bit of automation to release the thread at the right time on the day.

What could go wrong, the good natured bunch of never moaners on RMWeb would all play nicely all day, no need to mod.......🤣

Edited by woodenhead
My smiley is only showing at 25%
  • Funny 5