Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

43 minutes ago, James Makin said:

The entertainment value in this series is up on the last one so far! 

I must admit laughing at the scene of the cheeky Montana approaching Simon's office, hatching a plan for the 3D scan and the camera focusses in on an unsuspecting Simon, talking to himself in a world of his own at the computer screen 😄

I got the impression that SK's lips move when he is reading the content on his screen, a habit quite a few people have.

Alternatively it could be:

Directions:

MH seen walking along corridor towards SK's office, suppressed smile on face. MH turns to stand in doorway of SK's office, where SK is seen sat at desk in front of screen reading these directions, pretending he does not know what is about to happen...

Cue MH at doorway... Gotta minute Simon? or Are you free, Mr Kohler?

• Funny 2

30 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Whatever you see on A model world is far more acceptable than the commentary that goes with Train Truckers.

Good point, at least we don't have the intrusive and scary 3D simulation with commentary of what might happen if (delete as inapplicable): the rope breaks/the chain snags/the rail bends/ the winch motor burns out/ there are 24 simultaneous tyre punctures/the cameraman stands in the way/the cleaning lady tips up the trailer to sweep underneath...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

+1 use of Phil's 'Don't believe all you see on television' button

Of course not. Hornby is clearly a multi-billion-dollar shadowy corporation run by Elvis and the space aliens[*]. I just don't think that the show reflects that.

[* They should've pitched to Blaze.]

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Good point, at least we don't have the intrusive and scary 3D simulation with commentary of what might happen if (delete as inapplicable): the rope breaks/the chain snags/the rail bends/ the winch motor burns out/ there are 24 simultaneous tyre punctures/the cameraman stands in the way/the cleaning lady tips up the trailer to sweep underneath...

Oh, but could we? Please? You could do a simulation of What Would Happen at Warley if people saying "it's just for kids" about the starter set found out that the latest (say) "definitive" Class 37 was 1 micron out. 😘

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

This all reminds of that time - I think it was in the James May documentary - that Simon investigated virtual reality model railways and the impression was given this was going to be in the next Hornby catalogue. 

• RMweb Gold

I was interested to see Pete Waterman's layout that he referred to several times as the biggest model railway.  Then today I see Heaton Lodge Junction in RM that also uses the same label.  So which is bigger...I haven't looked up the relevant sizes so can't check, but suspect HLJ is the biggest....

Good TV whatever.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I was interested to see Pete Waterman's layout that he referred to several times as the biggest model railway.  Then today I see Heaton Lodge Junction in RM that also uses the same label.  So which is bigger...I haven't looked up the relevant sizes so can't check, but suspect HLJ is the biggest....

Good TV whatever.

AFAIK, Heaton Lodge Junction is by far the larger layout.  However, Pete and the Railnuts team have an aspiration to bring together all three of the Making Tracks layouts with a much extended fiddleyard which would produce something bigger than HLJ.  There are as yet no confirmed plans, so no speculation please!  Pete and the team will let the world know as and when they're good and ready.

Edited by Phatbob
Typo.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

AFAIK, Heaton Lodge Junction is by far the larger layout.  However, Pete and the Railnuts team have an aspiration to bring together all three of the Making Tracks layouts with a much extended fiddleyard which would produce something bigger than HLJ.  There are as yet no confirmed plans, so no speculation please!  Pete and the team will let the world know as and when they're good and ready.

Not really speculation as Hornby Magazine have emailed today about this years Great Electric Train Show and stated:

"This year we have a very special layout as Pete Waterman and the Railnuts group will be attending for the third year running with the group’s biggest Making Tracks layout yet. For the 2023 Great Electric Train Show the group will be joining all three layouts together for the first to create a 150ft long model of the West Coast Main Line in ‘OO’ gauge with a scale model of Milton Keynes Central Station as its centrepiece. You don’t want to miss this!"

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Not really speculation as Hornby Magazine have emailed today about this years Great Electric Train Show and stated:

"This year we have a very special layout as Pete Waterman and the Railnuts group will be attending for the third year running with the group’s biggest Making Tracks layout yet. For the 2023 Great Electric Train Show the group will be joining all three layouts together for the first to create a 150ft long model of the West Coast Main Line in ‘OO’ gauge with a scale model of Milton Keynes Central Station as its centrepiece. You don’t want to miss this!"

Thanks for that.  I haven't seen any of the Railnuts for quite a while now, so you're information is more up to date than mine.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

Thanks for that.  I haven't seen any of the Railnuts for quite a while now, so you're information is more up to date than mine.

IIRC the Heaton Lodge Junction layout occupies an area of around 200ft x 60ft, but it is O Gauge.... so the combined Railnuts set-up might beat it on the basis of scale route mileage. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 07/02/2023 at 17:05, Graham_Muz said:

For the 2023 Great Electric Train Show the group will be joining all three layouts together for the first to create a 150ft long model of the West Coast Main Line in ‘OO’ gauge with a scale model of Milton Keynes Central Station as its centrepiece. You don’t want to miss this!"

I’ve been to every GETS at MK but I might want to miss this. Bigger is often not better and such a large layout will inevitably reduce the number of other layouts at the show. I enjoyed seeing the previous two, they were very good but not great. I will probably go to Chester Cathedral to see this years layout. I don’t feel the need to see them united into one huge layout. Yes very big layouts do have novelty value and their sheer size is impressive but somehow they don’t have the interest of a well made and run average size exhibition layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I’m not normally first to comment on these things, but as I understand some people watch on repeats / catch-up I’ll just say this about tonight’s episode:

• I thought Airfix (the featured brand) came across well
  • some useful tips on scenery from this week’s featured guest railway modellers, thank you,
  • as for the Hornby locomotive that was featured in development, the way the subject was presented made me think of Douglas Adams’ “mostly harmless.”

Hope that’s fair - I wasn’t expecting investigative journalism, just a pleasant hour of relaxation, which is what I got. Nice to see the enthusiasm of the younger designers - for whom the series seems to open up opportunities.  I also learned a new technique for transporting delicate models.  I’ll say no more.  Make a brew, sit back and enjoy, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
General editing / additional clarification
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I thought it interesting to hear that Airfix make a range of kits to cater for all levels of skill and depths of pockets.  Commendable but why can't a similar philosophy extend to model railways?

I also note the T word wasn't uttered once!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

I thought it interesting to hear that Airfix make a range of kits to cater for all levels of skill and depths of pockets.  Commendable but why can't a similar philosophy extend to model railways?

Hornby's does; they call it Railroad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

But almost everything was "iconic"!

Also, they kept referring to the Blackburn Buccaneer as a "fighter" aircraft.  Granted it was agile and supersonic capable, but it was a "strike" aircraft designed for standoff attacks against enemy warships.  More or less a 60s-70s version of a Fairy Swordfish...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But almost everything was "iconic"!

Also, they kept referring to the Blackburn Buccaneer as a "fighter" aircraft.  Granted it was agile and supersonic capable, but it was a "strike" aircraft designed for standoff attacks against enemy warships.  More or less a 60s-70s version of a Fairy Swordfish...

I won't see the programme until Thursday evening (it still clashes with the 'quiz hour' on BBC2) but I was afraid that might be the case judging by a previous mention of the subject.   Won't spoil my enjoyment but someone in the house might get fed up with me shouting the necessary correction every time they get it wrong!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I won't see the programme until Thursday evening (it still clashes with the 'quiz hour' on BBC2) but I was afraid that might be the case judging by a previous mention of the subject.   Won't spoil my enjoyment but someone in the house might get fed up with me shouting the necessary correction every time they get it wrong!

I got one of those lightweight large foam sponges* sold for washing cars and I chuck it at the screen every time I get annoyed.  Its cheaper than using a brick...

Otherwise, it was reasonably entertaining, if too much SK.

* You used to be able to get that sort of sponge in a brick shape/colour for chucking at the telly, but they seem to have gone out of favour**.

** I don't know why!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's OK, I got the customary "SWMBO eye roll" when I pointed out that the fire extinguishers were the wrong colour on the BBC's "The Gold". Sometimes you just can't resist the inner nerd when something so obvious to you jumps out of the TV screen 🤣

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1