Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• Administrators

The first episode of Hornby, a Model World airs tonight on Yesterday.

Some rules for the discussion:

1) There is a good chance that some of the people in the show will look in to this thread. Therefore, don't post anything you wouldn't say to their face if they were standing in front of you with a baseball bat. If anyone gets nasty, or especially personal, they will be moderated. Be nice.

2) Don't believe everything you see on TV. The producers will tell a story each episode and that may mean re-creating scenes. The camera operator doesn't hang around Margate waiting for meetings to just happen to take place.

3) Don't expect any commerical secrets to be revealed, or in-depth discussion of the orientation of bolt heads on a Black 5. The show is aimed at the mass-market, not train nerds with a fascination with detail who would like nothing better than a 5-hour discussion of loco to tender electrical conncetions.

4) If you just want to say how much you don't like Hornby, don't bother.

Aside from the Hornby stuff, there is some impressive modelling from some well-known and not so well-known modellers. Hopefully, their appearances will help persaude the general public that this is as great a hobby as we know it is.

Thanks

(This thread will unlock during the show so hopefully comments will come from people who have at least watched some of it)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• AY Mod unlocked this topic
  • AY Mod locked this topic
  • Administrators

Update from the Yesterday Press office at 22:53 last night:

Huge apologies for having to delay the series, especially so late in the day. Unfortunately, an editorial issue which we were only made aware of this afternoon required investigation. We apologise to you and your readers and hope to announce a new broadcast date as soon as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• Administrators

Update: All the previews have vanished from the UKTV press website and a search on "Hornby" now brings up no results.

The Thursday repeat is now labeled "Merchant Navy", not "Flying Scotsman". From memory, the MN was the second episode. Has Episode 1 been ditched/postponed?

Still no answers from anyone involved though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

For what it's worth, the Daily Mail gave the programme four stars!

You mean these telly critics don't sit there watching it real time and bashing at the keyboards online as they soak it in? They're not proper armchair critics! 😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• AY Mod unlocked this topic
  • RMweb Gold

Ah, thanks Phil for mentioning the Thursday repeat - I thought there'd be one sometime fairly close to original bradcast.

No problems now about the clash with Monday's quizzing hour on BBC2 where things are getting more serious as part of our daughter's training for the upcoming series of 'University Challenge' - subject to the team getting through the three stage audition process.  They played an online match against the uni staff and tutors earlier this week and managed a very convincing victory 150 points clear.  And thanks to my response to one of Mr Paxman's question on the telly on Monday evening daughter now knows what a Schottky diode is - which is more than could be said for the team on programme.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Strange - I watched it on my virgin catch up TV, just after it was scheduled to finish on Monday. I tuned in on my bedroom TV which has a free view aerial to find it had been cancelled, but watched the first episode  downstairs. Don’t ask me re content as I wouldn’t want to spoil your enjoyment next week. There must have been a glitch in the system which I somehow bypassed.

Neil

• Like 1

I groaned when the guy was increasing the depth of the boiler bands on the TT version of Flying Scotsman. Just the thickness of the paint used for lining is sufficient ... and that goes for models in 00 also, the ribbed look of a boiler is not pleasing or prototypical.

Other than that a fascinating look into what goes on at a major model manufacturer and you can't help but love Simon Kohler; his story alone would make an interesting tv programme or two.

Glenn

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having just watched the 1st episode, it looks like being an interesting series again.  The TT120 launch is obviously a key feature and there's a lot riding on it for Hornby.

Without spoiling it for those who've not yet watched it, I'll just say that filming 1:120 scale appears rather tricky!

Mark

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Richy59 said:

Anyone who’s watched it think they can spot the ‘editorial’ reason for the delay? I can’t seem to see any unannounced locos or products from the 2023 range. 

Could easily have been edited out, only someone like @AY Mod who saw the original would-be able to tell us and he has probably got better things to spend his time on than site through it again.

His summary at in the first post is spot on and how the howler at the end got OK'd by Hornby amazed me. That if the one I saw is the same the Andy refers to.

Edited by MyRule1
addition
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ah, thanks Phil for mentioning the Thursday repeat - I thought there'd be one sometime fairly close to original bradcast.

No problems now about the clash with Monday's quizzing hour on BBC2 where things are getting more serious as part of our daughter's training for the upcoming series of 'University Challenge' - subject to the team getting through the three stage audition process.  They played an online match against the uni staff and tutors earlier this week and managed a very convincing victory 150 points clear.  And thanks to my response to one of Mr Paxman's question on the telly on Monday evening daughter now knows what a Schottky diode is - which is more than could be said for the team on programme.

Sadly, I doubt if that question will come up again!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I doubt Hornby have any editorial control after all they're not producing or directing the series, they are just the 'stars'. OK so the producers will likely play nice by and large as they might want a series 3, but there are presumably limits to that.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Could easily have been edited out, only someone like @AY Mod who saw the original would-be able to tell us and he has probably got better things to spend his time on than site through it again.

Andy already stated that there was nothing in the first episode that related to the 2023 range announcement.

• Like 2

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

I've not noticed anything different from a skim through, certainly nothing that I thought may have been an issue, even The Most Crestfallen Modeller Ever was still there.

• Like 3

Thank you for letting me see it on UK TV Play. I enjoyed watching it.

The only problem seemed to be at the end because the 'Flying Scotsman' was pulling the train but the wheels were not rotating.  It reminded me of my tender driven Schools class. Perhaps that is what they are going to edit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Andy already stated that there was nothing in the first episode that related to the 2023 range announcement.

There are many other reasons UKTV might postpone or editorially alter a programme other than at the wish of the main editorial subject.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Thank you for letting me see it on UK TV Play. I enjoyed watching it.

The only problem seemed to be at the end because the 'Flying Scotsman' was pulling the train but the wheels were not rotating.  It reminded me of my tender driven Schools class. Perhaps that is what they are going to edit.

That was Simon's gold plated Scotsman - tender driven and probably hadn't turned a wheel in over 20 years, given we saw him dig it out of his loft. I'm surprised the motor worked at all. 

• Informative/Useful 3