RMweb

Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

Hi,

I think the second episode mentioned a starter set loco having a resistor in place to slow it down.

When I was doing experiments on RFID for MERG I was looking for a OO loco that would do 120mph scale speed in O which is 210mph in OO.

I bought a Hornby GWR 0-4-0 but it only did 120mph.

I eventually took the motor from that, glued on a propeller from a drone, wired it to a DCC decoder and stuck the motor on the chassis from a Bachmann 4 CEP trailer.

That did do 210 mph or more but at 211mph it fell off the third radius curves even if they were superelevated. I tried an F1 style wing to keep it on the track but it added too much drag.

I suppose they have to limit the speed of the starter set locos because if a loco flies off the track it could hit a youngster in the face.

Regards

Nik

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

21 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I think the second episode mentioned a starter set loco having a resistor in place to slow it down.

When I was doing experiments on RFID for MERG I was looking for a OO loco that would do 120mph scale speed in O which is 210mph in OO.

I bought a Hornby GWR 0-4-0 but it only did 120mph.

I eventually took the motor from that, glued on a propeller from a drone, wired it to a DCC decoder and stuck the motor on the chassis from a Bachmann 4 CEP trailer.

That did do 210 mph or more but at 211mph it fell off the third radius curves even if they were superelevated. I tried an F1 style wing to keep it on the track but it added too much drag.

I suppose they have to limit the speed of the starter set locos because if a loco flies off the track it could hit a youngster in the face.

Regards

Nik

I think the "resistor" comment was more an indicator of a misunderstanding of the functionality of the components on top of the motor, consisting of capacitors and a choke, to reduce RFI.  A speed reducing resistor would have to be capable of absorbing a lot of energy and would be physically rather large. A small component would just burn out on the first lap of the track!

The earlier 0-4-0s had a reputation for excess speed at one end and poor low speed performance at the other, I think the solution was a change in gear ratio.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The point I'm concerned about with the starter 0-4-0T is offering it with DCC sound. Given the performance of 0-6-0Ts in general over dead frog points, it might put young people off rather than excite them.

Depends how fast you want to go over them....😆

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The earlier 0-4-0s had a reputation for excess speed at one end and poor low speed performance at the other, I think the solution was a change in gear ratio.

No, it was a change in motor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The point I'm concerned about with the starter 0-4-0T is offering it with DCC sound. Given the performance of 0-6-0Ts in general over dead frog points, it might put young people off rather than excite them.

I think they would most likely use the capability to add a stay alive that the new Hornby txs chip now has as a plug and play option.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Slight change of tack, but Copenhagen Fields will feature in the next episode of ‘Hornby a Model World’ on Monday 30/1/23. 

You will find out how this happy little scene was made:

61DB1753-658F-4B41-B2FE-AC379245912A.jpe
As well as our trip with CF to the 2mm Association Derby exhibition in June ‘22.
0FD8F6FA-8697-4C9E-BA7F-0C3EF6C9288E.jpe

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 18

This is something that's been bugging me since season one... whe  I was 5 maybe 6 so 1980/81.  Ourlocal bus company ran a trio the the Hornby factory (actually there was a small cadre of rail enthusiasts amoung the drivers who seemed to  fund their own tours by putting them in the brouchure).

I recall a jovial excitable chap in a white lab coat who showed us around... could it have been Kohler??

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have erased episode 2 now so cannot check, but I get the feeling we have been fed a few dummies. For example, I am sure at one stage the narrator referred to a C14 class, rather than a B4, and there was a large drawing of a Nellie/Polly/Connie lying on a bench. 

Reference has been made to the old plastic 0-4-0 chassis, but don't forget the other 0-4-0 chassis, that of Bill and Ben, and that one is adaptable to an 0-6-0, Toby.  This underused chassis could be the starting point for the new 0-4-0.

I sincerely hope the new 0-4-0 is not yet another stretched overscale hybrid.  I am sure many five-year-olds got annoyed when Bill and Ben demolished all their lineside furniture.  Also, five-year-olds are quite capable of handling small objects (it is us 60-somethings with a tremor that are not!).  However, I doubt if a five-year-old will wax lyrical over wood grain planking on the cab floor!  The body could be simple, low-detail, yet still dimensionally to scale, capable of fitting to two chassis, one a basic budget 33mm wheelbase, and the other a scale chassis.  For the serious modeller, the body could then be detailed "to taste".  The resulting model could thus cater for all markets.  My suggestion for this loco would be the LMS Kitson-Stanier 47000 0-4-0ST, though I should imagine it is all too late by now.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Tiptonian said:

For example, I am sure at one stage the narrator referred to a C14 class

Correct, I can't recall that 'B4' was ever said, just 'Normandy' and, yes, C14. Obviously there's a size difference (along with everything else) between such, just as there was with the model compared to the real thing and it's little cousin, the Jinty. I have had a few conversations this week about the sale of different sizes and shapes of dummies.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tiptonian said:

Unfortunately, I have erased episode 2 now so cannot check, but I get the feeling we have been fed a few dummies. For example, I am sure at one stage the narrator referred to a C14 class, rather than a B4, and there was a large drawing of a Nellie/Polly/Connie lying on a bench. 

It is available on UKTV Play, the channels catch up service. I'll have another look later. 

• Like 1

Just received the e-mail reminder for tonight's episode 3 (30 January) with teasers for the 'proper' Coronation coaching stock set (not that LMS imitation) and Hannah Montana and the purple/mauve/puce platinum jubilee rebuilt Bulleid.

The former should be interesting, at least I hope so. No mention of CF in the trail though... probably a bit of proper modelling in between the SK slots.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Just received the e-mail reminder for tonight's episode 3 (30 January) with teasers for the 'proper' Coronation coaching stock set (not that LMS imitation) and Hannah Montana and the purple/mauve/puce platinum jubilee rebuilt Bulleid.

The former should be interesting, at least I hope so. No mention of CF in the trail though... probably a bit of proper modelling in between the SK slots.

Hope there's more than that or the FF button will be getting a good work-out tomorrow afternoon. 😄

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2023 at 16:53, Nile said:

It's repeated again Sunday at 10pm.

And will be repeated into infinity. I hope the forthcoming streamliner stock receives decent coverage,Wondering how Hornby’s R&D manage reasonable close coupling on these sets without derailment  and hoping to glean some clarity on this issue . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And will be repeated into infinity. I hope the forthcoming streamliner stock receives decent coverage,Wondering how Hornby’s R&D manage reasonable close coupling on these sets without derailment  and hoping to glean some clarity on this issue . 

All Hornby's other coaches perform well when close-coupled so long as one fits the links with appropriate coupler heads.

The streamliners are unlikely to be any different, but the over-long alternative and magnetic couplers supplied up to now suggest Hornby lack confidence in their mechanisms.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

All Hornby's other coaches perform well when close-coupled so long as one fits the links with appropriate coupler heads.

The streamliners are unlikely to be any different, but the over-long alternative and magnetic couplers supplied up to now suggest Hornby lack confidence in their mechanisms.

John

So on which items have they been supplied to date ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So on which items have they been supplied to date ?

Hornby has been supplying their Roco lookalikes ever since the revised links were implemented on the lit Pullmans. All coaches with CCUs come with a pair in the box. 

The magnetic ones began to appear last year, my 2022-release Maunsells all have them.

Unfortunately, in both cases, they leave gaps between gangways which should be touching on straight track. Aftermarket equivalents of the correct length are the answer.

If you keep the tension-locks in between CCU-fitted coaches, derailments are pretty much guaranteed.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And yes,the programme did highlight that serious consideration is being given to a working design. That aside,I found it an enjoyable watch 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Spoiler alert and content advisory warning...

What a mash-up by Hornby, SK, and the tv production team! Whilst repeatedly showing the Hornby 'Coronation Scot' streamlined locomotive and coaching stock SK was wafting on about the best coaches they've ever made, start of the art, most accurate and realistic and stuff, giving the less well informed - and even those of us better informed and having received the e-mail trailer - left wondering which 'Coronation' train he was actually talking about. Even then it seemed that it might just be about the Beavertail (absolutely beautiful restoration craftsmanship BTW).

Eventually we reached the problems of width and close-coupling, the former no doubt with an unsaid admission and possible part explanation as to why the Gresley gangwayed stock was too fat at the solebar, the latter in the quest of solving a long-standing problem addressed by Hornby previously in the Eurostar (the first iteration of which was made by Jouef) and Jouef's own TGV, although mixed up between the (as far as I can tell) Atlantique and La Poste versions, the Atlantique being produced around 30 years ago. Progress was definitely being made by the young designer (Simon 1) and the solution looks very promising.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1