Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

They could told a more entertaining story there could have been the crushing defeat of have the film rights refused(no need to mention another manufacturer,, but it doesn’t matter they still made a stunning model.

Right now I can close my eyes and write an episode of Model World, it’s like reading Colin Forbes books

Simon has an idea

Simon calls employee(s) to office

We’re going to make (x) we have (y) days

employees look at photos and/ or older models

at this point the following phrases must be deployed we can defiantly improve on that’/‘we defiantly need to capture this/that detail’

field trip, most likely to 1:1 collection, maybe elsewhere if Simon releases some of the tea fund

the following thing must happen, pictures with big stick, ohh look at (interesting feature’) Someone must say ‘you get a totally different feeling for it now’ ‘we’d never have seen that in the photos’

working sample arrives, runs round layout, random people will arrive, ‘oh wow is this the (x) wow it’s awesome,

(optional Simon appearance)

first decorated sample arrives, Simon at this point must delve into his drawers for a magnifying glass ( this is important, the universe ends if this doesn’t happen), declares himself amazed with the detail

well done boys we go into production

Simon relaxes in chair hands behind his head, looks happy….

However, it would be difficult to mention the refusal of the rights without explaining why they were refused, and Hornby may well have undertaken not to enter any public discussion of the issue.

Even if they haven't, there would be no point in stirring the pot, which could affect their prospects relating to other potential film-related ventures. Rights holders have no obligation to grant licences even if there is only one applicant....

TBH, though, "Titgate" exposed a lack of professional "due diligence" that a company of Hornby's status must/should have found humiliating. They will want to bury the memory as soon and as deep as possible.

Promoting "Lion" clearly requires some verbal tight-rope walking of which 95%+ of viewers will be entirely oblivious. 😁

John 

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Promoting "Lion" clearly requires some verbal tight-rope walking. 

I'm not sure this is necessarily true Lion is, in effect, completely different from the Titfield Thunderbolt. Lion can and does stand up as a model in it's own right, you can have Lion without TT, but I'd argue its harder the other way around 

16 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

They could told a more entertaining story there could have been the crushing defeat of have the film rights refused(no need to mention another manufacturer,, but it doesn’t matter they still made a stunning model.

Right now I can close my eyes and write an episode of Model World, it’s like reading Colin Forbes books

Simon has an idea

Simon calls employee(s) to office

We’re going to make (x) we have (y) days

employees look at photos and/ or older models

at this point the following phrases must be deployed we can defiantly improve on that’/‘we defiantly need to capture this/that detail’

field trip, most likely to 1:1 collection, maybe elsewhere if Simon releases some of the tea fund

the following thing must happen, pictures with big stick, ohh look at (interesting feature’) Someone must say ‘you get a totally different feeling for it now’ ‘we’d never have seen that in the photos’

working sample arrives, runs round layout, random people will arrive, ‘oh wow is this the (x) wow it’s awesome,

(optional Simon appearance)

first decorated sample arrives, Simon at this point must delve into his drawers for a magnifying glass ( this is important, the universe ends if this doesn’t happen), declares himself amazed with the detail

well done boys we go into production

Simon relaxes in chair hands behind his head, looks happy….

You forgot to include Montana entering, wearing an N Peal woolly... 

Going OT, I gave up Colin Forbes 25+ years ago. The first 3 or so books were OK, but after that it was just the same old, same old but different location/villain.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Lad says: "you haven't made any Underground models?". Simon's reply: "Not yet, but I'd love to".

Oooh!

I'll take some Underground stock...  in TT!

or rather UTTT (under the table-top)!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

I'm not sure this is necessarily true Lion is, in effect, completely different from the Titfield Thunderbolt. Lion can and does stand up as a model in it's own right, you can have Lion without TT, but I'd argue its harder the other way around 

Though nobody is doing it the other way round....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Oooh!

I'll take some Underground stock...  in TT!

or rather UTTT (under the table-top)!

Or maybe some Dreadnought stock in OO to go with all those Bargain Heljan Bo-Bo Electric loco's that some of us bought.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

To my way of thinking, it would have been better to have left the Lion footage out altogether and filmed something else instead.

C'mon - that would have ruined my little snooze when I seem to have missed part of it because I definitely can't remember the bit where it was running on their test layout (unless that was only in the trailer?).    I trust that on Sunday it won't clash with. ....  (checked and it doesn't) so I might remain awake to see the bit I missed last night.   However one thing I couldn't understand about the Lion designer's comment was when he said the wheels were closer together because of the outside frames - I must definitely watch on Sunday to pay greater attention to that bit.

The Buccaneer stuff was very interesting and the model looks pretty good.   I'm not clear if it includes a deployable arrester hook - does anybody knw please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

C'mon - that would have ruined my little snooze when I seem to have missed part of it because I definitely can't remember the bit where it was running on their test layout (unless that was only in the trailer?).    I trust that on Sunday it won't clash with. ....  (checked and it doesn't) so I might remain awake to see the bit I missed last night.   However one thing I couldn't understand about the Lion designer's comment was when he said the wheels were closer together because of the outside frames - I must definitely watch on Sunday to pay greater attention to that bit.

The Buccaneer stuff was very interesting and the model looks pretty good.   I'm not clear if it includes a deployable arrester hook - does anybody knw please?

Yes, I thought that sounded weird, too.

Like they were maybe sneaking out a TT (120, not that TT! 😃)  version on the quiet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

It may be that Sam the designer was less than familiar with the 'train' terminology. I gathered that the Coronation coaching stock seen in a previous episode was his first railway project assignment and that he was expecting to be tasked with more rolling stock before progressing to a locomotive. Indeed that was his response to SK when called in to be assigned the development of 'Lion'. 

It may have been, and I am only surmising, his way of expressing the limited sideplay owing to the outside frames - which will have been even more of a challenge if moulded in plastic rather than fabricated from brass or nickel silver.

Regardless, given his solution to the articulation/close coupling problem on the Coronation twins coaching stock, he appears to be one to watch.

I'm trying to take a guess at the economics of that 1:48 Buccaneer. How many sprues were there in the kit? Five?  Each of those sprues were about 8" x 8" (?), so each will be sunk from very chunky steels, and running on big bolsters on high pressure machines. I can't see each insert pair (=sprue) being less than £15k (???). And then there's the tool set up cost and running them (possibly £1 a pump?)  and the bagging and boxing cost, instructions and transfers etc plus the development cost of course. At £72 retail, I'm guessing Hornby will need to sell 1000 to start making a profit?

Please improve my wild guesses!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm trying to take a guess at the economics of that 1:48 Buccaneer. How many sprues were there in the kit? Five?  Each of those sprues were about 8" x 8" (?), so each will be sunk from very chunky steels, and running on big bolsters on high pressure machines. I can't see each insert pair (=sprue) being less than £15k (???). And then there's the tool set up cost and running them (possibly £1 a pump?)  and the bagging and boxing cost, instructions and transfers etc plus the development cost of course. At £72 retail, I'm guessing Hornby will need to sell 1000 to start making a profit?

Please improve my wild guesses!

No idea but I've already bought two of the recently tooled 1/48 P51 kits, they're so good, and I bet I'm not the only one.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Slight o/t  but if you put 50p away for each mention of 4472 ,don't, whatever you do,  watch JamesMartin on a Sat morning ,and count the times he says amazing. 

You will need a  few bags of 50p's

Back to the programme. Am i dreaming it, or did i see Jennys four seasons layout on the CH5 prog a year or so ago ( or was it something similar)

The idea of a "Four seasons" layout is nothing new - John Wilkes's "Life of a Line" has several scenes depicting a narrow gauge railway's life from opening, through decline to closure, with (IIRC) each scene being a different season.

However I think the ultimate was a layout that was on the South of England circuit some years ago, with four identical scenes arranged around a horizontal axis, with the backscene of one scene being the underside of the baseboard of the next scene. Each scene depicted the same station, again in different seasons and different periods from opening to closure. Every few minutes, as the operating sequence came to an end, all the rolling stock ran off to the fiddle yard, the scenic section was rotated 90 degrees about the axis, and a new sequence started!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

There was a Four seasons one some time ago based on the Wisbech tramway. I think it rolled on a central axle. I think it covered GER in spring, Lner, BR Steam and Ended with BR diesel reflecting the winter of the line.

That's Elmwell Village Depot. It's a brilliant layout, minimum space in O gauge but repeated four times! I'm fortunate enough to have seen it in action at a show, and I was absolutely gripped - leant on the rail and watched it all through the four seasons. It's featured in this episode of Model Town, which is available on YouTube. This should start at the right place if I've linked it correctly, if not it's at around 1:26:00 or thereabouts

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2023 at 12:43, The Stationmaster said:

However one thing I couldn't understand about the Lion designer's comment was when he said the wheels were closer together because of the outside frames - I must definitely watch on Sunday to pay greater attention to that bit.

Probably one of those times when you know exactly what you want to say but it doesn't come out as intended. We've all been there but not often while being filmed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

Probably one of those times when you know exactly what you want to say but it doesn't come out as intended. We've all been there but not often while being filmed.

Could be.  I paid particular attention to it last night and that was exactly what he said indicating that it meant the area between the wheels was narrower as a consequence.  I suspect that what he actually meant was the short wheelbase but the way he said it and showed the CAD indicated that it was the gauge he was talking about.  And the director of course knew no different so didn't ask for a greater explanation (which would probably have been beyond many viewers anyway as tehhword 'wheelbase' doesn't feature in the vocabularies of most people).

Anyway I think I've solved the puzzle by realising that he actually meant the wheelbase rather than the gauge.  I think the only thing that they really missed out on was not having a taxiing Buccaneer to entertain us (I understand there are a couple that can taxi under their own power) but still the usual entertaining watch.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Could be.  I paid particular attention to it last night and that was exactly what he said indicating that it meant the area between the wheels was narrower as a consequence.  I suspect that what he actually meant was the short wheelbase but the way he said it and showed the CAD indicated that it was the gauge he was talking about.  And the director of course knew no different so didn't ask for a greater explanation (which would probably have been beyond many viewers anyway as tehhword 'wheelbase' doesn't feature in the vocabularies of most people).

Anyway I think I've solved the puzzle by realising that he actually meant the wheelbase rather than the gauge.  I think the only thing that they really missed out on was not having a taxiing Buccaneer to entertain us (I understand there are a couple that can taxi under their own power) but still the usual entertaining watch.

Having re-watched the passage in question, I think what he meant (though it didn't come out sounding at all like it) was that he was having trouble containing Hornby-width wheels between Lion's outside frames without needing to move the latter outwards. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 3