Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Right Away said:

Am I in the minority who cannot help but wince when narrators are heard referring to a steam locomotive on its own (in this case the 9F) as a “train”? 😴

Is the kettle not pulling something (a tender), and therefore a train? 😉

I agree, though. I find it annoying when a single locomotive is called a train. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Right Away said:

Am I in the minority who cannot help but wince when narrators are heard referring to a steam locomotive on its own (in this case the 9F) as a “train”? 😴

Although technically if it is proceeding on a signalled running line then within the meaning of the Rules & Regulations it really is 'a train'.   But that, all too obviously, is not something likely to be even thought about let alone understood by the overwhelming majority of tv producers and script writers. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although technically if it is proceeding on a signalled running line then within the meaning of the Rules & Regulations it really is 'a train'.   But that, all too obviously, is not something likely to be even thought about let alone understood by the overwhelming majority of tv producers and script writers. 

Language evolves over time and words such as ‘locomotive’ and ‘engine’ adopt alternate meanings. Most people experience a rail journey in a ‘train’ without a ‘locomotive’.How often have the likes of us bridled at the term ‘ train station’ …or even ‘kettle’. ? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Nevr mind the misuse ot "train" and "railway", I see that the programme listing for this evenings Model World is now bestowing the title "iconic" on Mallard!

image.png.b7b21e1ee95a9bcef8bbecab74a0f9d8.png

No dear, you can't have a Flying Scotsman AND a Mallard...

• Funny 9

4 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Just watch the programme and take a swig of whatever you fancy every time they use the word “iconic”.  You will feel increasingly relaxed as the programme proceeds.

Cheers

Darius

Public Health Warning: Your level of inebriety may be biblical...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Nevr mind the misuse ot "train" and "railway", I see that the programme listing for this evenings Model World is now bestowing the title "iconic" on Mallard!

image.png.b7b21e1ee95a9bcef8bbecab74a0f9d8.png

No dear, you can't have a Flying Scotsman AND a Mallard...

Overused? Perhaps. Deserved? Most definitely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing wrong with an LNER locomotive that rebuilding at Swindon would not put right!

Hat, coat, exit stage left at high speed preferably hauled by a King!

Edited by Chris116
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

I keep watching and find the programme mostly enjoyable but what grinds my gears is the constant use of cliches like ‘on the right track’ and ‘full steam ahead’, etc.

Couldn’t they find a scriptwriter with some original ideas?

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

39 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I keep watching and find the programme mostly enjoyable but what grinds my gears is the constant use of cliches like ‘on the right track’ and ‘full steam ahead’, etc.

Couldn’t they find a scriptwriter with some original ideas?

steve

But using cliches like ‘on the right track’ and ‘full steam ahead’ is iconic!

Ummm..... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

In the face of shortages of fruit and veg in the shops, and the Blessed Ms Coffey extolling the virtues of turnips, Mrs Pint was rather hoping for a liberal use of 'iconic' this evening to replenish our cabbage stockpile. Unfortunately that was not to be. But she was forced to ask me what sort of an implement a Tri-ang might be, apparently for use on table tops...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Tonight's 'entertainment' was watching the Amazing Disappearing 2nd Tender on the live-steam Flying Scotsman. It seemed to come & go in every alternating shot on that (not all that "spectacular") garden railway. Almost as good as Ned's dancing mobile phone in that comedy runaway train movie "Unstoppable" - no attempt at continuity whatsoever. You don't have to be an enthusiast or nerd to notice that!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Everybody knows that all the world's greatest litterary wits are amusing each other here on RMweb. 😉

I've been called a    great wit   many times.

Edited by NIK

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, didcot said:

Good to see the youngsters at the Saturday club.

They were thrilled to be included in the series! I have run the Juniors club for over ten years. Numbers have fluctacted, but we have 15 at the moment. This programme and the channel 5 series has helped boost interest in recent years. Many of them go onto to be active members of the wider club, and so so helping with its growth. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I really feel episode by episode it’s getting worse, I almost feel embarrassed watching it when other members of the family are in the room.

On the positive side if it brings some new youngsters into the hobby to the aging club member in almost all  clubs it will have been a success for the future of model railway clubs.

let’s hope so 

Terry 

• Agree 2

The bits about the 3D printer were "interesting"...

Back in October, when TT120 was being unveiled, there were some rather wonky 3D prints of the Class 66 bodyshell on display.  I think we now know why!

• Like 2