RMweb

Warley NEC National Show 25th & 26th November 2023

Chris M

• RMweb Gold

Mr RedgateModels is a member of the RMWeb community and his experiences are informative/targeted to this audience.

I must say that i feel it is "poor form" to change the expected expense rates AFTER the event!

Kev.

(..who was invited to Warley, this year, but had to decline.)

• Agree 4

All this talk about the show being quiet is making me wonder if I was at the same show? The boundaries for the show had been moved back from previous shows and as a result there was much more exhibition space resulting in all the aisles being noticeably very much wider and this may what is giving the impression that the show was quieter than previously experienced.

I know that at my layout - which had several trains running all the time - had the frontage full for the two days with visitors and it was very nice to meet so many people from here which let me put faces to the nom de plumes used by many. I also had some very interesting discussions with visitors, several of whom said they had come especially to see me which was very humbling. a couple of commercial stands have said that they had record sales over the show which would also suggest that it wasn't quiet!

All in all a superb couple of days at a very well organised show which I enjoyed immensely - although sadly I wasn't able to see as much as I would have like due to number of discussions with visitors at my layout 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, WIMorrison said:

All this talk about the show being quiet is making me wonder if I was at the same show? The boundaries for the show had been moved back from previous shows and as a result there was much more exhibition space resulting in all the aisles being noticeably very much wider and this may what is giving the impression that the show was quieter than previously experienced.

You hit the nail on the head there sir 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

It's a wonderful layout and it was very nice to have a quick hello.

@wenlock and I very much enjoyed the Warley experience although I think we may have wandered into the wrong hall at some point.

Good to be able to put faces to names.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I got out of the hall at 22.40 as last man standing - even NEC security short staffed last night. 

Enjoyed it all - I think! slept well first time in over a week with concerns of have I got right ! - well I did nearly  but the show went on. 

Thanks for all the comments, good and brick bats !   Despite 20 years at this game a new curve ball thrown every year. some internal show changes among the 9 folk who organise the show as volunteers due to an expected RTC and loss of life.  Some internal electronic media issues  to address. 

The real engine makes for a feature as a direction point and is a good feature and way for loco folk to sell its next project. 

Interesting take on traders - in discussion I was saying how during the Covid created disruption  the one "man" traders had found the virtual shows and easy access to website building had opened up a cheaper avenue to selling, and hobby better for it - allowing for some tech/age issues.  I was offered the comment that "some" had found sales had waned - I guess not refreshed media presence? and felt that they missed shows now.  When talking to new entrants to the hobby the comment had been about Wizard Models and their products, and the person said who? 

The general view still has to be seen at shows proves you exist, yes there is a critical mass with internet presence which means leading on line traders perhaps do not need to show the flag in the real world, but real world is fickle.  The leading makers Dapol, Hornby, Bachmann ( dare I say the three "UK" established businesses and the newest leading lights -IRM,  Revolution, Accurascale, Rapido , KR, Cavalex   ( order as you wish and no offence intended  in my ordering!)  All showcase at Warley- and some sell as well. 

I have said to some the NEC does lead to the "National" tag naturally but having a Big London and Glasgow shows does allow the same effort, output, enjoyment at a "National" tag level.  The scale focused shows naturally used a national tag and the advocates will travel the "Extra mile" ( many) .

Regional and club shows have their place and will attract new folk and local traders, the best place for many to advocate the hobby - but again it will be a handful who stand up to the challenge and risk of running a show , truly if you want better at shows GET INVOLVED!   ( There you are the gauntlet throw down! ) 

I would at a personal like to thank everybody involved  in this year show from the lad at 22.30 who was sweeping the floor - sea of rubbish left amazing! to the visitor, traders,  layout crews, societies on the floor and the club crew and supporting clubs who went the extra miles to make it all happen. I was not really last man standing as club members were unloading a artic at the club rooms, exhausting work in a wet night - thanks!!    

Best bit for me was getting 3 shelves of my eclectic modelling on display. N soc cube wagon kits, 3D print GWR railcars, TT MGR kits and diesels, Irish 4mm (16.5 gauge - sorry!) Kits and 3D prints again , plus IRM A class as the only RTR item.   Last year I show cased G3 and G1  to N class 121 railcars. ( yes I do need to get out more!!  before anybody else says it.)

viz tables for flyers they were up at 09.10 and clothed and filled  straight away ,so sorry if you beat me toit ! - 8 bags of rubbish cleared on Sunday from  the tables. 

Only down from my view is that at the final count 17 folding chairs stolen.... which of course is a further charge to the club income.  If any can come back total amnesty in place.     

Hope to see and chat to many folk in 2024.

Robert          

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

😊

Nice to see something has been done to tackle what has been analysed as "the Warley effect", where someone doesn't actually see an exhibit until they have got to the front of the barrier and seen what is directly in front of them. Layouts are theatre and you don't get that effect of being in front of a stage, more of a mosh pit (literally). 

I recently did a show that was described as being quiet, and had lots of favourable comments regarding my layouts presentation and the way the lighting made it stand out. That's because it's foreign and we have to try harder anyway, and less people around it made it possible to see the layout from a distance. 

I think this is also why quality advanced publicity is also important, such as good photos and a brief description of each layout on the website beforehand. It seems to be a given that there will be something for everyone with 80+ layouts but that's a dangerous assumption, once I'd seen the list I could say what the showstoppers would be but they just seem to have been ignored, and it's still the case that you aren't aware of the "must see gem" until it is reported here on Saturday evening...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now the dust has settled, I'm struggling to understand a lot of the negativity. I arrived just before opening on Saturday (free parking at tile hill, got the train before the delays hit), and joined "The Hoard", with the show being so popular and with other shows going on, I don't see how else the NEC could have organised it.

A good selection of traders with Squires, Alan Gibson, and H&A providing basically everything I was looking for (it's a shame that Eileen's weren't there, but there's not much you can do there), some truly excellent modelling on display, including Robin Gay's Rolvenden, a layout which does not need trains running on it to look appealing, Bron Hebog, and the CVR. The demonstrators were helpful, the manufacturers were interesting (extra credit to rapido for the adverts in the toilets, very humourous) food was good, and the only time it felt cramped was in the H&A stand (which always feels cramped, but they pay per m², so I understand).

Overall, as a punter I think it was a good show, and well worth the entry charge. 

Bring on 2024!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

viz tables for flyers they were up at 09.10 and clothed and filled  straight away ,so sorry if you beat me toit ! - 8 bags of rubbish cleared on Sunday from  the tables. 

Ah, I was engrossed in setting up for the punters by then, I popped up earlier to the info desk about another issue and took our flyers with me. I was told at the time that they were having trouble locating the tables 😉

I popped back later when I managed to get a quick break and sorted it.

Re the rubbish, in previous years a bin bag was provided, not this year, otherwise my tut would have been bagged and dropped in a bin on my way out 👍

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

snipped

Also a fellow Peterborian I wanted to come take a look, but couldn't get near the store for most of the day lol, there seemed to be a constant swarm! Not that its a bad thing mind, looked like you did well.

I'll just pop in the shop soon I guess.

• RMweb Premium

I work on the basis that for every negative comment there are at least 10 people who thought it was great. Although given all the electronic means of communication now, it’s probably 100 think it was great for every grumble.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Back to the layouts. A combo of fatigue and catching up with old acquaintances meant I did not get name of the layout, but one of the larger steam era layouts had a great sequence where a 9F with a long train went up a slope and then stopped with full wheelslip. It stayed there wheels turning while a banking engine came up behind it. The train then started moving but the banking engine's wheels were also slipping as it pushed and they continued to rotate at a rate faster than the loco was travelling.

An excellent little piece of theatre. I do not know how they set this up to work so realistically but I enjoyed it immensely. Apologies to the layout operators for not knowing the name. I will try and look it up online.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed it and will be going every year. I was hoping to treat myself to a new loco, but there was nothing that tickled my fancy apart from sound fitted Bachmann 37069s which were newly released and around £300. They looked smashing but I’m quite happy to wait for a non-sound variant.

Managed to get close to the imminent Cavalex 56s and Accurascale 50s and have a proper look. Also stocked up on various tools and materials.

The only thing that was missing was a few more D&E era layouts but I appreciate that it depends on who they can get and there was plenty who enjoyed the selection that was available. Will see what they come up with next year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Times must be hard if there is a need to take one of the chairs home. 

Running a show is no mean feat with just 20 layouts and traders so I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into getting Warley up and running every year. 

Changes in personell will sometimes throw a curve ball as he new face(s) find their feet and get to grips with it all. 

The voyage control for set up day seems to work well. No queues again in North 12 this year and in and out in a reasonable time. 

The only issue I have is the time allowed from entry to exit ( through the gate, not in the hall) can be a bit tight depending your circumstances, but that is an NEC thing which we will have to adapt to.  My shepherding steward was quite surprised the time allowed was gate to gate. 

From.my point of view, the only downsides stem from the NEC, but to some extent, these are a sign of the security conscious times we live in. 

The traffic staff did seem more cheerful, even if they  were cold, this year and they seemed to have a better grasp of what to do to keep it all moving. 

The map instead of full blown guide was different and I understand the reasoning.

If this is the new norm, can I suggest the following

The map is printed the other way up as once you found the Stan number of the list of names, you turnrx over and the map was upside down. 

The colour coding was good, but he text too small. Perhaps a large letter for each block and slightly bigger numbers in each block  of stands.

I appreciate there isn't much room, but getting the letter out in the wild would make a bit more space with perhaps some uniform boxes for stands rather than a scale plan. More LUL simplified  style sort of thing. 

What more can I say.

Warley is Warley. 

It's hard work and I for one appreciate the hard work and hoop jumping that went into setting it up and dealing with a large body corporate to make it happen

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

@97406 If only yours would fit into a van....but no you've glued it to the wall and begun to build something to encase it forever.  Will have to live with it on Rmweb I suppose.

The boards lift up but I’d need to build a portable backscene / enclosure and make the wiring more pluggy-inny. The OHLE has removable links over the join too. When it gets extended it will become more difficult to make portable, though but that’s a few years off yet.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Back to the layouts. A combo of fatigue and catching up with old acquaintances meant I did not get name of the layout, but one of the larger steam era layouts had a great sequence where a 9F with a long train went up a slope and then stopped with full wheelslip. It stayed there wheels turning while a banking engine came up behind it. The train then started moving but the banking engine's wheels were also slipping as it pushed and they continued to rotate at a rate faster than the loco was travelling.

An excellent little piece of theatre. I do not know how they set this up to work so realistically but I enjoyed it immensely. Apologies to the layout operators for not knowing the name. I will try and look it up online.

It was South Pelaw of which I am one of the operators, pleased to hear that you liked it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, johndon said:

It was South Pelaw of which I am one of the operators, pleased to hear that you liked it.

Thank you. I'm still curious as to how the wheel slipping is achieved, my guess is carefully weighted wagons and slope combination.

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Not expecting to gain anything Chris, I'm just answering other folks' questions as to my reasoning behind this year's show probably being my last. I'll not comment further on this issue, as as you say it serves no purpose other than fuel a wider debate on here (no pun intended).

OK....there is no milage in continuing! 😜....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

I’m pleased to see we are marked in green on your map!  :)

What a weekend!

and a proper family affair on the Saturday, with my wife, Juliette and Daughter, Lizzie

88bb8598-0346-4de0-a14b-119d6ed835f5.jpeg.3ddaad873cb1b3d1879a97f0bd3821aa.jpeg

our best Warley ever

thanks to everyone who came by to say hello and to all those who bought something from us.

Always pop by your stand, its on my list every year.

there was a crowd and i missed one thing I didnt get chance to ask about…

at the bottom of the glass cabinet looks like a bogie hopper EP… what was that ?

Edited by adb968008

4 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Thank you. I'm still curious as to how the wheel slipping is achieved, my guess is carefully weighted wagons and slope combination.

If it's DCC (which I presume it is), then it could be done by having a wagon in the train that's got hidden internal braking which is DCC controlled. So as the train goes up the hill, you could tighten the brake until it forces the train to a standstill with the loco's wheels slipping, then loosen the brake a little when the banker starts to push.

I put in a figure that I reckoned would cover the fuel.  I've just calculated the rate per mile (two trips to the Premier Inn in Redditch and a diversion off the M25 to drop off an operator) and it comes out at a knats whisker off 25p per mile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

It's a wonderful layout and it was very nice to have a quick hello.

@wenlock and I very much enjoyed the Warley experience although I think we may have wandered into the wrong hall at some point.

IMG_20231125_135005533.jpg.266caf60c649efa533a70ce0d6649656.jpgIMG_20231125_140801706.jpg.62a043a61e9deda87c3a29d65666b817.jpg

Suits you, sir(s)!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The colour coding was good, but he text too small. Perhaps a large letter for each block and slightly bigger numbers in each block  of stands.

I agree that even with my glasses on I found the text hard to read when trying to find my demo area as there wasn't any stand number on the table (some did so thats how we eventually found ours).

Normally there are bin bags for exhibitors but we just used a nearby bin so really didn't need one. Exhibitors canteen was very quick and we found the  food to our taste.

I was told by someone in the know  that the numbers through the door on Saturday were as good as pre covid and the few ventures out from behind the demo area, it certainly felt as busy.  Sunday was quieter but thats always been he case IMHO.

We walked in our demo tools on trolleys but those friends that brought in their vehicles didn't have any issues on Friday or Sunday evening. I was actually surprised how quick they were considering its a fair walk to the car park.

46 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Thank you. I'm still curious as to how the wheel slipping is achieved,

Good luck and good management.

DCC controlled. The model 9Fs naturally slips with its train on the gradient (as did the prototype) The drivers use two NCE procabs to control the train engine and assisting loco individually. Real fun.

The real thing can be seen here. Scoot the vid forward to about 6 minutes for the steam action.

https://www.yfanefa.com/record/27363

For those that are unfamiliar with the location of the prototype there's also this.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1