A plea for organisers - please fully describe the layouts !

rob D2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Have you ever thumbed through the show guide after the event and realised that you missed an entire room.......?!🥴

Isn't that what the tea-/lunch-breaks are for?  🫖  🍥

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ELTEL said:

We at Stafford have always made available both descriptions and photographs of layouts attending our exhibition providing the layout owner has made them available to us.

The list of layouts already booked to appear at our September Exhibition 23rd & 24th will be published here on RMWEB very soon.

Full information can be found at www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk 

Press the three bars at the top right hand side of the header (Menu)

Press the option EXHIBITIONS

Press - Under details of the Main Exhibition in September

First you will see the header with all the exhibition derails 

Scroll down to layouts booked 

All the layout names are underlined and are in red

Select the layout you want further information on

A full description of the layout and photographs as supplied by the owner 

I feel that answers your questions 

Terry 

Happy Modelling and I look forward to seeing you all at our September Exhibition 

It’s strange that no one has commented that about five hours ago I gave all the Exhibition information of our forthcoming exhibition in September with layout names, photographs and descriptions  (thank you for the RMWEB members who gave it the thumbs up)

I agree having all the information and photographs of the layouts in advance could perhaps prevent a potential visitor coming to a exhibition.

I believe it’s better that happens and that they don’t go away disappointed and have not wasted their time and money and perhaps never to come to the Stafford Exhibition again.

I believe at Stafford we give a wide selection of layouts in all scales and gauges and as we regularly have 4000 visitors each year others think the same.

I like others that have commented here look at what layouts, traders and demonstrators will be at an exhibition and make a decision as whether to visit the exhibition or not, and if I don’t go it won’t stop me looking again next year.

Terry 

Stafford Railway Circle 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Have you ever thumbed through the show guide after the event and realised that you missed an entire room.......?!🥴

Oh yes. York, after a gap of a few years attending. Missed an entire floor.

RT

Edited by RichardT
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I have got to the end of an exhibition thinking their must be another room ..................but no !

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We didn't get called as defence witnesses to this kangaroo court.

Tsk, and you were found guilty in your absence by a goldfish!

Clearly a wrong 'un - send him down!!

Personally I find just organising the show quite exhausting enough without pandering to the needs of potential visitors - I suppose they'll be wanting track plans next?

And there are no barriers either, oops, another red light passed....

But my show is only very tiny, and is quite happy staying that way.

It takes all sorts, happily.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I have got to the end of an exhibition thinking their must be another room ..................but no !

Yes - over the years, I've encountered more than enough shows like that.

Strangely enough, I don't tend to go them the following year - can't possibly think why ... .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

It takes all sorts,

Are you still profiling people on approach to Larkummywhatsit and pulling the signs in and bolting the door if 'normal' people decide to turn up? ;)

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

and pulling the signs in and bolting the door if 'normal' people decide to turn up? ;)

Who’d we have to stare at if we didn’t let them in?!? 
Anyway they pay to see the Cptn doing his special folk dance in the kitchen, we can’t deprive people of that cultural gem. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Are you still profiling people on approach to Larkummywhatsit and pulling the signs in and bolting the door if 'normal' people decide to turn up? ;)

Yes, and I've also now got Jerry involved as an additional precaution against any kind of "normality" creeping in to the proceedings.

I think we are about due to have a "strategy meeting".....

333238058_buffetcar.jpg.19a7e25f2ac58b63f8609a147b124b9d.jpg

Pip pip!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Who’d we have to stare at if we didn’t let them in?!? 
Anyway they pay to see the Cptn doing his special folk dance in the kitchen, we can’t deprive people of that cultural gem. 

And don't forget his knees.

Goodness knows I can't forget them - oh how I have tried....

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, stan williams said:

Rob D2,

The simple answer is,  you will not make any difference to an exhibition whether it is a success or failure.

The vast majority of shows really on the general public from that area, hopefully bringing the family and they are

coming along to see model railways running round layouts etc. not whether the stock is painted blue.

Its the trade who want the modellers, most clubs want joe public.

There  are exceptions ie Warley and their like.

Stan.

I'm not entirely convinced . Every show i've been to in the last five years , the enthusiasts were way more in evidence that families .

And what if there are ten with the same feelings as me that won't go ? Will that make a difference ?

As for the concept of not describing the layouts in case you " put people off ", well, the only answer to that would be to have a decent cross section of eras etc 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Yes, Donny last year.

I hope to make amends on Saturday!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope nobody minds if I add my views to this thread. (For various reasons, I'm scared of putting my head above the parapet right now ... .)

If I go to any show, it almost invariably involves spending significant amounts of time and money, travelling by public transport * - often (but not always) over significant distances.

(*  Even my most local show - an O gauge event, which used to be at the opposite end of Newport - involved at least 3 buses, run by at least 2 operators, in either direction. It goes without saying that these buses didn't link up properly - in terms of timing and stopping places. For example, in Newport, I needed to get between 2 different bus stations.)

You might be wondering how this is relevant to model railway shows. Well, with any show being likely to involve quite a bit of effort to get there, I want to be reasonably confident before I set out, that there's some point in me going.

I don't want to spend hours travelling to an event billed as "the show to end all shows", only to be greeted by a couple of circles of track (one of which features garishly painted locos with faces on the front) - a "bring up and buy" stall - and not much else.

Please note that I'm not attacking events billed as "members' days", "open days", "village hall shows" or anything like that. I've attended a number of these - they've delivered exactly what's promised, often accompanied by a friendly welcome and interesting conversations. I've enjoyed them - and I'd often go again the following year.

My issue is with events whose organisers have "over promised / under delivered" - with visitors being led to expect large halls packed with "wall to wall" interest - only to walk out 5 minutes after arrival wondering where all the missing, interesting, stuff has been hidden.

If I'm trying to decide about a show, I'll generally check out the website. If it says (eg) "a certain number of layouts", I'd like to know which layouts - and be able to glean some idea if they're worth seeing. As for traders, I'd like to know which ones.

I'm not too worried about the size of the layouts - what setting - what sort of trains - what era - what country - but I want them to have something interesting on them.

I'll often do an internet search about layouts I'm not familiar with - if no information is easily available anywhere, I won't see them as a "selling point" for the show. The same goes for traders - they don't need to be the biggest traders, with the widest ranges - but I'm not looking for jerks and I'm not looking for overpriced tat.

Meanwhile, I'll check if it's feasible for me to get to these shows by public transport - how far I've got to walk - sort out directions - stuff like that.

I don't have access to a car - and I've never been able to get lifts to / from shows - so I work everything out, based on using public transport.

Once I've checked out all this stuff, I'll generally make a decision and follow it through. If it's still difficult to make a decision, I'll think about the people running the event.

I've often made observations along the lines of: "Most people are grate. A minority just do."

Well, some clubs, organisers etc always go out of their way to make people feel welcome - and I feel like I'm amongst friends. I'm happy to go out of my way on their behalf - even if I know I'll only see the same few layouts as last year and probably not much else.

With a minority, I don't get the same feeling. If attendance looks like going to extreme lengths - only to be greeted by someone looking at me like they've just trodden in something brown and distinctly unpleasant, or offering benedictions along the lines of "Piper Oscar"* - I'd really prefer not to be there.

(* Other, equally "friendly" greetings are also available. This one's a bit like another one starting with "Foxtrot", but with a slight difference. The individuals concerned certainly wish me to "go forth" - but they probably don't wish me to do much else. I'm more than capable of taking the hint.)

Anyway, returning to show websites, I sometimes use them as "tie breakers", if I'm unsure whether to attend shows.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Huw sums it up pretty well

I don't think the issue is big shows like Glasgow , Perth even Falkirk up in the Scottish Circuit , where almost certainly there will be many things of interest ,but more the smaller shows that are maybe a wee bit more out the way or difficult to get to.  They could do with publishing a more detailed list so we can determine if its worthwhile attending . Sometimes there are pleasant surprises , like 2022 Paisley show which was much bigger than expected . Sometimes though its a bit of a disappointment and after spending 30 mins going round the hall twice you think it really wasn't worth the effort .  I think some of the smaller shows are very wary of publishing too much detail in case it puts people off !

Going back to guides / programs one thing I don't like about Model Rail Scotland is that the £15 entrance fee includes a program . If you attend multiple days you really don't need another program, so why include it in the price .   Also MRS is a three day show it would be useful if there was a two day pass - maybe £25 , because on the plus side there is enough to cover over 2 days . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am sorry to read some exhibitions have not made visitors feel welcome.  As one starting to visit them in the last two years, I am pleased to say I have yet to experience this.  My questions are always answered courteously, and I have got chatting occasionally for quite a while, and then felt guilty about distracting the exhibitors.

My plan of checking the www before deciding to visit is supposedly not to spend my time and money on something that would not be relevant to my interests and era modelled.  But, surprise surprise, there was always a justification afterwards!  A layout that has nothing to do with yours can be a thing of beauty, have a track-plan that prompts ideas, or have scenic cameos or goods one can 'borrow' for one's own layout.  Mention of home-made cakes being for sale is good motivation to attend as well...

Now I must start planning my 3.5-hour trip to Stafford in September, supposedly to see 'Newhaven Harbour' in the flesh for the first time.  One could wish for nothing more from the web-site: thank you to @ELTEL and colleagues for the hard work done composing and writing it.

Edited by C126
Typo, and cake clarification.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, ELTEL said:

It’s strange that no one has commented that about five hours ago I gave all the Exhibition information of our forthcoming exhibition in September with layout names, photographs and descriptions  (thank you for the RMWEB members who gave it the thumbs up)

Stafford definitely leads the way here amongst the large Midlands exhibitions, and though I'd accept a previous point that not everyone may have professional looking photos or know what one was, it's definitely the best way to advertise a show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, C126 said:

A layout that has nothing to do with yours can be a thing of beauty, have a track-plan that prompts ideas, or have scenic cameos or goods one can 'borrow' for one's own layout. 

Broadening one's outlook beyond the familiar scale or gauge, as you describe, is surely a Good Thing? We have a tendency to be narrow in our interests. I recall a colleague who I knew to be a bus-gricer. I met him one day and reported that a bus had broken down nearby. "Oh, that's one of the Gardner-engined batch - I'm not interested in those." I think he later became a de-facto HST Controller for a main line railway. Last time I saw him he informed me proudly that he had a Statutory Instrument on his desk.... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, C126 said:

A layout that has nothing to do with yours can be a thing of beauty, have a track-plan that prompts ideas, or have scenic cameos or goods one can 'borrow' for one's own layout. 

Nail + head = HIT!!! 

If I only wanted to see layouts similar to what I'm interested in & model, i.e. USA O Scale, I wouldn't go to ANY Shows in this Country!! So I'm of the opposite view to the OP & others - I try to find something of interest in every layout at a Show, regardless of scale or Era. Ok maybe I give the "drive Thomas" layout a miss, but other than that, I am not one of those "walk past muttering" types - except at one Show last year when an Exhibitor I know who models American & some EU was showing a layout, so I went to walk past moaning loudly that it wasn't American, I couldn't relate to it, etc -  a twist on all the usual carp comments often heard from xenophobic Brits when passing a US-outline layout. We then had a good laugh about it, while I enjoyed watching his British Steam Era layout.

I get to so few Shows anyway that what bothers me more than being picky about what layouts will be there, is how far away is it & how much to get in??

Just my 2p.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Knowing the scale, location and era of a layout matches your interest doesn't guarantee they're of a standard you want to see.

It's often surprising what captures your imagination most at exhibitions. Visits to Wakefield and York shows in the past had me returning to an American On30 logging camp and a miniature railway type layout time and time again - both well removed from my normal late 1980s BR in N.

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

I might like Squash, but I don’t have any interest in Tennis , but if Federer is playing I’ll have a brief look cos he’s good - the best simile I can come up with.

I can appreciate a good steam layout - but it won’t capture my interest for long . I have no empathy with the subject nor interest in the era and stock. So - I want to make sure they are not all “ fly bys “ otherwise it’s an expensive and short day out .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think the other side to this is that actually a lot of Exhibitions are precarious at the moment, and need your support. If you want to have a choice in future years, then they need your support this year - if a hypothetical 2024 show is cancelled because insufficient people come to the 2023 show, then the likelihood of the '24 show having something to interest you enough to leave the house, becomes a bit of a moot point.

Jon

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

So - I want to make sure they are not all “ fly bys “

Yes the constant battle between those who want a tight focus and those of us who want variety and enjoy inspiration from many corners. A couple in our club were vehemently against a wargaming shop trading at our show, including demo, yet they sold many things, or a wider range, useful to railway modellers other traders didn’t have. 

Even no club website isn’t a barrier as the excellent UKmodelshops exhibition list allows free access to anyone to advertise their show with the minimal details suggested in the OP. 

A basic list of what’s there has many times made me go because of one layout and yet I found much more I enjoyed once there. The Portsmouth & Southampton shows both sold me on going seeing just one layout I really wanted to see listed. I also scour the listing on show lists to see what else might be interesting. Simple scale/gauge, subject and a rough period is enough to give an idea 😀

• Like 3
  • Agree 1