Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

What N gauge do you want to see from Accurascale?

Diesel locos are pretty well covered in N now that Rapido have said they will do a 44/45/46 so probably not much room for a new model there. An orginal North British Warship might do ok but is probably too niche. The mark 1 suburbans are probably well enough done (for the likely interest) by Farish. Mk2 coaches do seem to be a pretty obvious area where there is room for new products. There is also something of a dearth of mk1 coach availability. I believe timber traffic is increasing again so how about an OTA?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Definitely Mk2 coaches but NOT Class 37, does not need another retool and/or another version, the current GF version (aside from a couple of different ends being required) is perfectly sufficient.

I have to disagree with you there John. The Farish 37 has much that can be improved on, namely the huge body/bogie gap, over wide bogies, body to cab tumblehome transition and the mad trencher has been at the door outlines. There are also several missing versions that are not likely to see the light of day with Farish’s output levels. 

Given the current Farish tooling was released in 2009, it’s not really up there with modern standard locomotives like the Class 90 or Revolution Class 59. It’s not a bad model, but it is now a model of it’s time, and if N Gauge is to attract new modellers to the scale it needs models to modern standards. 

If Accurascale were to produce a Class 37, it’s not like the Farish model would disappear, but it would give modellers the choice of a new, current standard model or the 14 year old version. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Agree 6

Siphons are a huge open goal here - the Dapol one was average. 

A modern 37 would really compliment the newer locos from farish and others. 

Of course, N is really missing a 25/3 as a loco that made it's way everywhere on modellable trains 

Edited by Matt.S.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Definitely Mk2 coaches but NOT Class 37, does not need another retool and/or another version, the current GF version (aside from a couple of different ends being required) is perfectly sufficient.

Really? Be fair, the Farish 37 has been knocking around a few years and lacks much of what is expected from new models. Not least a decent ride height and shape! It looks poor in comparison to the more recent Farish 40 which is excellent.

There’s more than just a couple of different ends to the variants Accurascale are doing in 4mm too. I’d love to see the same upping of standards in N gauge.

Oh and Fran… provision for drop in 2mm finescale wheelsets would be a bonus too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, jonas said:

Oh and Fran… provision for drop in 2mm finescale wheelsets would be a bonus too!

2nd highest feature request in the N Gauge News poll behind onboard stay alive! 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, jonas said:

Really? Be fair, the Farish 37 has been knocking around a few years and lacks much of what is expected from new models. Not least a decent ride height and shape! It looks poor in comparison to the more recent Farish 40 which is excellent.

Quite.  Both the 37 and Deltic are part of Farish's "shrunken head" collection and thus exhibit all those much-loved characteristics that make the ownership of their 4mm cousins such a joy.  And don't get me started on the Dapol 50🤢

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When the revised Dapol 9F came out with four traction tyres I immediately bought one and put my earlier version for sale on eBay. I have a number of Dapol 50s and just one Farish 37. Whilst I can see the possibility of making better versions of these locos I don’t find them bad enough for me to sell my existing models and buy new, better versions; for me they are good enough. I love seeing them running and I don’t see any glaring errors. The problem for Accurascale is - am I typical of N gauge modellers? 
The class 25/3 could well be a better bet. Used all over the country and a model has not been available for a long time. To be fair though not as loved as either 37s or 50s. I don’t currently plan to buy any more locos but a pair of class 25s in blue would be ideal for a summer Saturday holiday service. There’s another point in favour of the 25 - they were often used in pairs on passenger workings so you might get double the sales. 😊

I still think an OTA would be a good place to dip your toe in the water.

• Like 2

Almost a sense of hypocrisy for me to post against N gauge models when I started this post, but realistically how well would a new 31, 37 ,or Deltic do? Ignoring the fact that more popular choices such as Regi 31 and Intercity 37/4 have not appeared in the new Farish tooling (yet), from hat I can tell there is still a good few 31's and 37's out there. Kernow have more than 10 of the Loadhaul 37 in stock and this i supposed as far as I can tell one of the favourite liveries for them.

For a company to make their first venture into N gauge taking on a loco that i already out there could be a gamble, it seems the logical choice is the rolling stock allowing multiple purchases easily, that could then generate capital for producing further models

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

For a company to make their first venture into N gauge taking on a loco that i already out there could be a gamble, it seems the logical choice is the rolling stock allowing multiple purchases easily, that could then generate capital for producing further models

This. 100%.

RichardT

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Adhering to Fran’s request for shrinking of OO models already on their books:

For me, I’d like to see the HUO to Accurascale standards along with the 21T Mineral. 

I’d also buy a skinhead 31. 

although too modern for me, the Mark 2s I think would be a particularly attractive proposition for the N Gauge community, esspecially if released in multiple versions at once. It would probably make sense to do different sub types (C, D, etc) from the Farish tooling. 

Best

Scott. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd like:

Siphon

Mk2b

Mk2c

Class 89

please!

I'd rather see something new than something duplicated. Yes there are issues with the class 37 and 50 but not enough to make me want to run out and replace my existing models.

There are plenty of wagons to have a go at - we've never had a decent LMS van to my knowledge and there are still big gaps in air-braked stock to current standards (BBA, OTA, FFA/FGA, VAA, VDA, many PGA, depressed centre PCA and any number of four and eight wheel tanks).

Looking at coaching stock there's a huge gap in non-corridor pre-nationalisation stock. Mk4 + Class 91 would welcome an upgraded model.

Steven B

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

Although I'm not interested in coaching stock I think the that demand in n scale is so great that if accurascale was to move into n this would be a good start. The 21t mdo mdv and the huo would be welcome..oh and the lovely little magnesite ore wagons although I don't think the demand over here would be enough to shrink it.would it though?🤨

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Avoiding range duplications and with good livery/longevity the Manor could be a good steam choice. A good selection for a widely used type across WR and adjoining companies trackage. It would also place a freshly tooled tender into the range for subsequent GWR types saving development costs for those.

Siphons would be a good shrink ray candidate too for the livery, longevity, and route useage. Probably not all body styles, maybe two covering as wide an era as practical.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PMP said:

Avoiding range duplications and with good livery/longevity the Manor could be a good steam choice. A good selection for a widely used type across WR and adjoining companies trackage. It would also place a freshly tooled tender into the range for subsequent GWR types saving development costs for those.

Good call - I'd missed it thinking Dapol did one in N, but it's the one they don't do or have planned to do...

21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Now the 21T minerals may be a better proposition....

Deffo - but after the OO ones have entered production !!!

That of course could be original; LNER "high handbrake" standard unfitted with original bodies, as well as the rebodied types - fitted and unfitted. 

• RMweb Gold

Dapol have done a Manor in N — from the Ixion tooling (the second, correct version—not the oversized one). And, unlike Farish, Dapol do produce re-runs where the demand is sufficient.

As far as other items are concerned, the Dapol Siphons, like several of their earliest models in N, appeared to have been derived from the old Airfix OO versions from about 40 years ago. The Farish 37 does have excessive ride height. The Farish 31 is one of their more recent models and, unlike the 37, is sound-ready. However Farish have only ever done the headcode box variant, and only as a class 31 (in other words, no Mirrlees engined variants).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve already suggested Siphons to Revolution to produce in partnership with Accurascale as they did with the Cemflo.

By the way, you can easily lower the 37 body if you dispense with the cab inserts—there’s detailed instructions somewhere on here or on the N Gauge Forum.

Given the issues with the current Farish model, I would definitely support a new 37, especially in DRS liveries.  Revolution have already released the KUA, will shortly release the low level waste PFA container flats and the FNA - D’s are in the works.  What’s needed is a decent loco to pull these!  Furthermore, it’s usual for two locos to be involved per train so Accurascale could look forward to double the sales.

As for wagons I vote for the HAA’s and some CDA’s in ECC livery.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Crepello said:

I’ve already suggested Siphons to Revolution to produce in partnership with Accurascale as they did with the Cemflo.

By the way, you can easily lower the 37 body if you dispense with the cab inserts—there’s detailed instructions somewhere on here or on the N Gauge Forum.

I know and I’ve done it! But I’d rather not have to. There are many other things wrong with the Farish 37, and untapped potential in the DRS mods, slugs, car headlight versions - just off the top of my head. Plus endless livery variations!

Stood next to the 31 and 40 from the same stable  you can tell there is a decade’s difference IMO.

• Agree 3