Larkrail 2023

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

John

Hepton Wharf as you saw it yesterday is exactly as we picked it up from Don Leepers garage in March after 13 years storage. All we have done to it is clean it, repair some errant track and cassette joints, service the rolling stock and change the couplings to Dinghams. Because it is such an iconic layout the plan is to conserve it in its current state, however for operational reasons the uncoupler permanent magnets will be replaced with electro-magnets and we may change the lighting rig to LED strips.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Just to add a great day had with layouts, cakes and chat at top of the game!  

Thanks also to Simon, Jerry for getting all the ducks in a line so well for us the punters  

It was good to chat with Bob who was worrying plasticard strips into a signalbox  making it look so easy and also Lawrie with is painting skills on little people and some not so little people, his 1950s pin up models were wonderful! 

Thanks to all above for the great pics as well.

Robert  

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, both to Larkrail & the bookshop, an enjoyable well organised event.

I was particularly taken by the Hunslet works model and look forward to seeing it progress in the future.

I even made it home without falling off my bike which was an added bonus...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A really great day as Jerry says, and thank you also from me to everyone who came along to the show, it is all of you who make the show what it is.

But especially to Kim, Paula, Edna and Yvonne (not to forget flying Dave) in the kitchen, who worked so hard and were so very cheerful.

Just the best.

I had promised not to post any more silly photographs, but when Steve and I returned to the hall from the Shoffice towards the end of the clear up, we couldn't help but feel we'd wandered in to some sort of opening scene, I give you Messrs. Simpson Clifford and Griffin in Sergio Leone's little known

"Once upon a time in the East" (of Bath)

IMG_6752.jpg.73dca5a9a0d94dcbb112a7b0d08893f2.jpg

Simon

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

A really great day as Jerry says, and thank you also from me to everyone who came along to the show, it is all of you who make the show what it is.

But especially to Kim, Paula, Edna and Yvonne (not to forget flying Dave) in the kitchen, who worked so hard and were so very cheerful.

Just the best.

I had promised not to post any more silly photographs, but when Steve and I returned to the hall from the Shoffice towards the end of the clear up, we couldn't help but feel we'd wandered in to some sort of opening scene, I give you Messrs. Simpson Clifford and Griffin in Sergio Leone's little known

"Once upon a time in the East" (of Bath)

So who is Good, Bad or Ugly? Now running for cover

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Adrian's pictures have now arrived. I've only had time for a quick flick through but here are a few I picked out - more over the coming days.

IMG_4275.JPG.8350a2ec53f167d017be5204deb12d83.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG.5383f5eae07bd4d80cf1165142f8f5d0.JPG

Richard Phipp both full size and in miniature

IMG_4278.JPG.ab5609f9ace37024e4394f73da34c4a1.JPG

Callum, Gordon and Maggie, quit obviously enjoying themselves. Hopefully Callum's record of the show will be along at some point.

IMG_4224.JPG.07c5d10ae5c7633b68a51e2321c273bc.JPG

Gorgeous Kim, scrummy cakes and the team busy making sandwiches - the heart of the show! There's no way all the chatting could be sustained without vital sustanence!

IMG_4253.JPG.3daa699df3a214902ee8a7ee56c0fbf7.JPG

Another man obviously enjoying himself, Richard Barton with his delightful S scale Arcadia,

IMG_4228.JPG.9b1074bb2f3d7c2f936069556ee82bbf.JPG

... and finally, for now, my old mate Paul Stephens giving Hepton Wharf a thorough looking at

Jerry

• Like 16

33 minutes ago, queensquare said:

IMG_4278.JPG.ab5609f9ace37024e4394f73da34c4a1.JPG

Callum, Gordon and Maggie, quit obviously enjoying themselves. Hopefully Callum's record of the show will be along at some point.

An excellent show as ever and credit to all involved! 

My video from the weekend is currently in editing, just sorting out the colour balance, so will hopefully be good to go in the next day or so :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for posting the photies, as attendance from this rock in a bumpy sea would be rather too much for my pension to bear.  I would dearly love to have seen everything, especially Iain Rice's legacy as he has always been a great influence on my modelling.

Well done to all the organisers, exhibitors,, cakey suppliers and attendees.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My thanks to everyone involved with Larkrail, first time I've been, and very glad that I did.  A superb show.

Sorry for boring everyone with my stories of motorway hold-ups, and tales of Iain Rice from before he was famous!

Cheers,

Dave,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for making the video and posting it, Callum, it was beautifully made for showing the layouts. I should really have gone, but it gives me an enjoyable session for seeing what was there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a superb array of layouts. Bath is just about doable as a day trip on the train for here and will hopefully attend Larkrail one year, alas this year’s date conflicted with our summer fortnight in Wales. One benefit of daughter starting school in September is that early July will free up a little from next year. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 15:51, Not Jeremy said:

Back to Steve … with his James Hilton inspired micro layout "Larkhill Crossing", which will be finished by then.

So in advance of next year's show, here is a foretaste of what he is up to, man at a gate looking out for an AC Cars railbus...

LarkhillHalt.jpg.392d9cfc619cc85b36b2dc667ce1a4c7.jpg

How's about that for forward planning!!

Simon

I am still overwhelmed every time someone says my book has inspired them to build a layout, of any description. I can’t wait to see this one develop, AC Railbus sounds super!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2023 at 15:51, Not Jeremy said:

Back to Steve, he is therefore the first booking for the 2024 show with his James Hilton inspired micro layout "Larkhill Crossing", which will be finished by then.

How's about that for forward planning!!

Simon

Simon,

Has the date of this year's extravaganza been revealed yet? 😇 

I work 1 in 3 weekends, so I might need to start arranging a swap sooner rather than later. 

Alex 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Rhubarb Loop said:

Simon,

Has the date of this year's extravaganza been revealed yet? 😇 

I work 1 in 3 weekends, so I might need to start arranging a swap sooner rather than later. 

Alex 

Hi Alex,

Larkrail is booked for Saturday 13 July by which time it will have stopped raining and the sun will be out!

We will be starting a new thread soon,

Jerry

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2024 at 23:31, queensquare said:

Larkrail is booked for Saturday 13 July by which time it will have stopped raining and the sun will be out!

Thanks, Jerry.

I'm looking forward to it... and the sunshine! 

Alex

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

The hall is booked, exhibitors have been contacted, cakes are being sourced and we have a poster (thanks to the clever Mr York). I will be starting a new thread very soon,

Jerry

Larkrail2024copy.jpg.654078a2bb15a27e40050aaba261f38c.jpg

Splendid ! 

download.jpeg-2.jpg.a8c6f5259931f627fab2581b6c200d43.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2