Larkrail 2023

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The solution used to be so simple before suing for everything became a craze, a couple of builders planks and some beer crates,  😆

Yeah but what about the puddle?

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Downward wetness from the edge of the bijou galvanised walkway above the car park.

We  will still be able to use most of the outside part of the car park, even if the water does not clear.

1-IMG_6709.JPG.e908aaa71e4d374b19e17cc4f6ef779a.JPG

The car park itself inside is perfectly dry, the problem is that we will only be able to access it on foot through the vehicular entrance, where the standing water is about 6" deep at most, so not possible without wellies!

You should see my garage/layout room........but on the subject of "weather"..I'm pretty sure I've waddled towards Larkrail in cyclonic rainfall on a previous occasion  - possibly 4-5 years ago?

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2023 at 12:34, Not Jeremy said:

And with any luck, it will soon be available at a super new Lidl just down the road...

By the way, I wouldn't mention this to anyone you meet in Larkhall, as we are all apparently up in arms over the damage it will do to the local beavers, traffic chaos, affordable prices in Bath (whaaat??), noise, pollution, wrecking Larkhall's shops, the dandelions, the cracks in the pavement, yada yada yada.

This is a slightly controversial subject for some of us......

Will Lidl have a booking office?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

With the £2 fare cap, I'm planning to get the bus. 

And for anyone using the train to Bath, the £2 fare cap applies to buses from Bath Spa station to Larkhall as well. All buses in Bath accept contactless, saving your actual cash for cake.  🍰🧁

Is there now a 'bus from the station to Larkhall?  That will save a walk.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think there always was, or at least to somewhere pretty close.

Upon leaving Bath Spa walk towards the bus station along Dorchester Street.  Cross over to the opposite side of the road and continue towards Sainsbury's Local (directly opposite the bus station) where Newark Street meets Dorchester Street.  The bus stop is right outside Sainsbury's, stop id: Bp (I think, it's the one in the photo below at the end of the stand anyway).

bus no's: 3 & 13 - these go along London Road, you need to get off at Lambridge and wander up Lambridge Street into Larkhall.

Screenshot_20230714-194153-830.png.708ba0e89bb1748ad42460ccb9cd0334.png

Screenshot_20230714-194419-108.png.f91a86a4e3a84706d674730dcadd565e.png

Screenshot_20230714-195156-801~2.png

There is, I think, a no: 7 bus that goes right into Larkhall but I don't know where it goes from I'm afraid 😳

Edited by Tim Dubya
Bus no's
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Upon leaving Bath Spa walk towards the bus station along Dorchester Street.  Cross over to the opposite side of the road and continue towards Sainsbury's Local (directly opposite the bus station) where Newark Street meets Dorchester Street.  The bus stop is right outside Sainsbury's, stop id: BP

bus no's: 3, 7 & 13

Thanks Tim, I was trying to negotiate First's website to find the details - long gone are the days when I knew the Bath network off by heart as I'd scheduled all the driver duties for it!

Faresaver also provide a 15 minute frequency from the Bus Station (Bays 6 & 7) to Lambridge (site of the aforementioned non-Park & Ride) by a combination of their X31 Chippenham, 271 Melksham and 272 Devizes services. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Bustimes.org is a half decent bus tracker/routes app to have on your phone thingy in these modern times.

Maps, times and tracker all in your waistcoat pocket by Jove.

Looks like some of the services recommended here are doing a version of the Grand Tour though.

https://bustimes.org/localities/larkhall-bath

Low & behest, it tells me the 6A will be going right past The Oriel in a few minutes time.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It's coming together...

Steve and Charlie setting up the demo tables

IMG_6713.jpg.131b4c08ad52f896d50389952be99f3e.jpg

Titfield teas to come

IMG_6716.jpg.8d1e6e132435d58aa2b6836aae1404dc.jpg

Pete and Andy on set

IMG_6714.jpg.706b5d68a89dd74ea34ea7d23b82d2ff.jpg

Not fully assembled and dressed yet, but wow!

IMG_6715.jpg.3af4e441d3eaa67abd0f7f85627282f2.jpg

Pizza and beer time now - see you tomorrow!

Edited by Not Jeremy
set dress
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Bustimes.org is a half decent bus tracker/routes app to have on your phone thingy in these modern times.

Maps, times and tracker all in your waistcoat pocket by Jove.

Looks like some of the services recommended here are doing a version of the Grand Tour though.

https://bustimes.org/localities/larkhall-bath

Low & behest, it tells me the 6A will be going right past The Oriel in a few minutes time.

Thanks. 6A is the one I'm after although while it arrives at Grand Parade last it ddidn't leave from there despite what that timetable says.  It is a fun excursion of considerable amusement and occasional interest as it goes through parts of Bath that are probably otherwise unknown to lesser mortals not permitted to live there and it climbs the hills on teh passengers' behalf which is a major plus point..

Bit of a walk from theh station but at least it doesn't involve hills which are murderous on arthritic knee joints.  Now ro ascertain the state of play with the trains.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The West Riding 3rd of Foot in Mouth Light Hussars advance detachment has set up camp in a hole in Wookey.

A reconnaissance party is planned over the Mendip Hills tomorrow with a view to taking in some scoff at the Larkhall rendezvous point. 

Looking forwards to catching up with folks, watching trains and enjoying a piece of cake *.

Cheers,

Mark 

* Or two...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Weather forecast for Bath will undoubtedly avoid the need to waste any water whoch I have to pay for through the meter.  Is wetsuit hire feasible anywhere near the station?  Trains currently appear tp be running - except one in the opposute which is shown as cancelled but hopefully wouldn't later have been working towards Bristle

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Larkrail is "GO".

1-IMG_6742.JPG.c5e44ae14ea94dd493978a697fdbf7d0.JPG

It is not raining in Bath, the car park has completely dried out and is open for our use.

1-IMG_6748.JPG.3088f217bf05fa4b204d36494f11451a.JPG

The minibus is running well

1-IMG_6749.JPG.c61f7e0bbcb81cb0a22a298989ed504d.JPG

(pictures not by Lord Snowdon)

Well behaved dogs welcome..

1-IMG_6738.JPG.a4f7d8dbc78f67ce491c1743333ff229.JPG

Time for tea!

Edited by Not Jeremy
Adding another technically inferior picture
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Larkrail is "GO".

Surely you mean...

TB4.jpg.569edda5e5e4a960195847b2a929f91c.jpg

I thinks that's the 6a from Manvers Street arriving.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

Great show, plenty of interest and 3 excellent 7mm layouts. First time for me seeing Arun Quay which looks every bit as good in the flesh, while it was great to chat to Andy with Hunslet works which has really progressed since I saw it at Swindon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely fantastic show, good to put faces to names and all that.  Top stuff, hope we made loads of wedge for charity

Thank you Simon, Jerry and all the folks what I don't know, that done stuff 👍

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As a first time attendee, a big vote of thanks to Simon and Jerry for the organisation, Brian for the excellent chauffeuring (not easy with the surrounding roads), and to Kim and her team for the catering.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2