Larkrail 2023

queensquare

49 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Have they been trouser trained?

You bet. Can also cut their own escape hatches in case of emergency.

44 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Will Larkhall ever forgive me....

Will Larkhall?    Nivvor hoard o him lyke.

Is he well known in the railway modelling fraternity?

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Rodda's clotted cream for me, please. Pretty please...

"It's all at the Co-op...NOW!"

Mass produced excess.

You couldn't beat the Arcade Dairy  (Penzance) but I think it shut down about 45 years ago.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

And with any luck, it will soon be available at a super new Lidl just down the road...

By the way, I wouldn't mention this to anyone you meet in Larkhall, as we are all apparently up in arms over the damage it will do to the local beavers, traffic chaos, affordable prices in Bath (whaaat??), noise, pollution, wrecking Larkhall's shops, the dandelions, the cracks in the pavement, yada yada yada.

This is a slightly controversial subject for some of us......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

This is a slightly controversial subject for some of us.....

There's still some that haven't yet recovered from the genius idea of building a park & ride on the flood plain* at Bathampton Meadows... I mean what could possibly have gone wrong with that corker?

* nature hot spot, fresh air, nice spot to empty the dog etc, etc, etc

Edited by Tim Dubya
Don't panic kids, it didn't happen!
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

There's still some that haven't yet recovered from the genius idea of building a park & ride on the flood plain* at Bathampton Meadows... I mean what could possibly have gone wrong with that corker?

* nature hot spot, fresh air, nice spot to empty the dog etc, etc, etc

Was that before or after the equally genius proposal to build an A36 bypass from near Claverton to the Batheaston Bypass across those same Meadows?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After the much needed A46 route around Batheaston yes.

Admittedly it could have been done so much better and  should have joined the A36 (via a tunnel under the meadows, Avon and railway) at Claverton or thereabouts but planners rarely do joined up anything, let alone thinking 😉

Edited by Tim Dubya
jibba
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

up in arms over the damage it will do to the local beavers,

Aye, that Baden Powel has a lot to answer for...   turning the yoof of tomorrow into young reactionaries.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye, that Baden Powel has a lot to answer for...   turning the yoof of tomorrow into young reactionaries.  

Well quite, although not all of us are quite that young....

Here is one Harold Swift, circa 1975, marching in a pageant of some sort towards Larkhall Square, just in front of Victoria Place.

Skipmarching.jpg.c3882472e59e33abf15952f6cb80c14a.jpg

Otherwise known as "Skip", he passed away in 2002, having given a lot of his time and energy to the scouting movement.

You should have been there the day we went to Bregenz and "lost" Phil Flaherty - oh how the grown ups looked worried(!)

You don't get this kind of local colour for most shows, even if they have got hugely detailed lists of exact details of blue period diesel multiple thingummy depot track planz...  zzzzzzzzzzz....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

In other important news, Kim’s kitchen has today received confirmation that scratch built cakes are on their way from both west Cornwall and Durham in the far north east to join those already here from Dorset.

Rumours abound that there are cakes currently being baked in Berkshire - I didn’t know there was such a place! 

Like entry on the door, please bring cash - and an appetite. There’ll be no need to go to the co-op for sustenance!!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

39 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

You should have been there the day we went to Bregenz and "lost" Phil Flaherty - oh how the grown ups looked worried(!)

Looks like he lost his entire troop from the photo.

40 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

You don't get this kind of local colour for most shows

I've got a mate that could build a P4 layout to fit in that palanquin. Hmmmmm, scratches chin and glances skywards.

I bet there was some Morris dancers bringing up the rear.  (Shades of the Wicker Man?).

31 minutes ago, queensquare said:

confirmation that scratch built cakes are on their way from Durham.

Oh no. Sounds like ham and peace pudding stotties washed doon wi a bottle o dog.

Could it be ...   

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

In other important news, Kim’s kitchen has today received confirmation that scratch built cakes are on their way from both west Cornwall and Durham in the far north east to join those already here from Dorset.

Rumours abound that there are cakes currently being baked in Berkshire - I didn’t know there was such a place! 

Like entry on the door, please bring cash - and an appetite. There’ll be no need to go to the co-op for sustenance!!

Jerry

The security van is ready and loaded. 

IMG_5685.jpeg.b2437869a4ae183633e2ee8cc57e65e4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

While we are all waiting for our cakes to rise, perhaps we could try a little caption levity, my effort for starters:

"I told you we should have ignored that bloke in the hand woven sandals who said he could save us money and the planet...."

Howmany.JPG.46c83959f477dac68069f552e2b7acdb.JPG

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The security van is ready and loaded. 

IMG_5685.jpeg.b2437869a4ae183633e2ee8cc57e65e4.jpeg

Up, two three,

Bang ! Bang ! Bang! Bang ! Bang !

Down, two three. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I've got a mate that could build a P4 layout to fit in that palanquin. Hmmmmm, scratches chin and glances skywards.

Blimey, I had to look that up!

Well done sir - we don't get this quality of frolicking erudition in many threads on RMweb.....

Edited by Not Jeremy
2X!
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Having watched the weather forecast, I've decided to load the car tonight with the layout, trestles and other supporting gubbins. 

Tomorrow's forecast is rubbish for hereabouts so I don't particularly want to try and load in the rain/high winds/hail/frogs/avalanche coming our way. 

However, I am able to confirm that the test batch of the Welsh cakes has gone well.......too well......there's none left.........so more tomorrow. 

I thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Not Jeremy said:

Blimey, I had to look that up!

Well done sir - we don't get this quality of frolicking erudition in many threads on RMweb.....

This is Bath we are talking about....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tim Dubya said:

Pronounced BAaff 👍

Welcome to my world. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

While we are all waiting for our cakes to rise, perhaps we could try a little caption levity, my effort for starters:

"I told you we should have ignored that bloke in the hand woven sandals who said he could save us money and the planet...."

No standing on the top deck!

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

The Rail Replacement Bus service on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch was not an unqualified success.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9