Larkrail 2023

queensquare

3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Like entry on the door, please bring cash 

Jerry

Thanks for the reminder Jerry, cash usually goes missing in our house (generally into Mrs O's purse) so will make sure I visit a cash dispenser on the way...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

While we are all waiting for our cakes to rise, perhaps we could try a little caption levity, my effort for starters:

"I told you we should have ignored that bloke in the hand woven sandals who said he could save us money and the planet...."

Howmany.JPG.46c83959f477dac68069f552e2b7acdb.JPG

Boarding the tour bus during the skool trip to Lilliput.

John

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Pronounced BAaff 👍

Not to be confused with "barf", of course, although now I think about it....

Reactions to unsettling smugness amongst sections of the populace apart, this can also be the result of too heavy a session in the Larkhall Inn...

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, 37114 said:

Thanks for the reminder Jerry, cash usually goes missing in our house (generally into Mrs O's purse) so will make sure I visit a cash dispenser on the way...

In previous years I have found that the Larkhall Inn acts as a perfectly satisfactory change dispenser,

mind you as I am not driving to the exhibition I will not be ordering black coffee at the Larkhall Inn, - edit - it will be something stronger...

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Rivercider said:

In previous years I have found that the Larkhall Inn acts as a perfectly satisfactory change dispenser,

mind you as I am not driving to the exhibition I will not be ordering black coffee at the Larkhall Inn,

cheers

Ha ha, yes good point Kevin. I had been tempted to cycle but maybe bus is a better option looking at the weather...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, the layout is in the car. Just the stock to check over and "ancillaries" to load ahead of the trip over at sparrowfart tomorrow. 

A second, larger batch of welsh cakes will need to be built later due to the "unfortunate incident" involving the first batch yesterday, during which "somebody" ate rather more than those allocated for "assessment".

Rob 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

With just one sleep to go, a reminder of some of last years fun and games;

IMG_3291.JPG.c0564d298bb74703bc730241be8b3518.JPG

The wonderful Richard Phipp, who is back this year with more of his wonderfully characterful models, explains the finer points of Nether Watch station to Nick Smith

IMG_3265.JPG.29198a28393642eabc616f3a11fdfc0a.JPG

Pete Kirmond goes all weak at the knees with Gordon G. Both gents are back this year, Gordon with Arun Quay and Pete helping out Andy Ross with Hunslet Works.

IMG_3281.JPG.25823182f8477c85a6a88f30218a332b.JPG

The important business of the day.... chatting over tea and cake!

Jerry

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Ha ha, yes good point Kevin. I had been tempted to cycle but maybe bus is a better option looking at the weather...

With the £2 fare cap, I'm planning to get the bus. 

And for anyone using the train to Bath, the £2 fare cap applies to buses from Bath Spa station to Larkhall as well. All buses in Bath accept contactless, saving your actual cash for cake.  🍰🧁

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

With the £2 fare cap, I'm planning to get the bus. 

And for anyone using the train to Bath, the £2 fare cap applies to buses from Bath Spa station to Larkhall as well. All buses in Bath accept contactless, saving your actual cash for cake.  🍰🧁

That's for a single*, two trip (return in old money) is £3:80, well on the First bus app anyroad 👍

Tap on and tap off (contactless) will always charge your card the cheapest fare😁

Bus no's: 3, 7 & 13 from stop Bp East Bound, outside 'little' Sainsbury's (opposite side of the road to the main bus & railway stations) in Dorchester Street.

* if you're going to the pub after you won't need a return, well not a via bus

😉

Edited by Tim Dubya
One more sleep
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

'Archibald was convinced that Captain Kernow's stolen 9F was hidden somewhere on the top deck'.

Yeah, sorry about that but it's needed to haul my train outta bandit country...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Are there enough chairs for all the minstrels tomorrow or have you booked a smaller ensemble this year?

IMG_3265.JPG.29198a28393642eabc616f3a11fdfc0a.jpeg.d4f6a02da6477df4c86ca06335ee0738.jpeg

Edited by Tim Dubya
One more cup of coffee, for I go, to the valley below...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More characters making a return visit;

The Favell's with their splendid radio control marvels,

IMG_3373.JPG.ba84378c265a8ddbe8fc684c9d841ff9.JPG

.....and Bob Brown who will be demostrating all sorts of 3mm loveliness. I believe Bob has been to every incarnation of Larkrail/Camrail.

Jerry

IMG_3290.JPG.55a0670ed8d63ebc94a2a51a56d52992.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Not a problem, weve gone for the up market option of a hall with a roof! 😀

Jerry

But less attractive for sitting outside on the piazza del Larkhall to eat the cakes,

ok the steps outside 😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

IMG_5705.jpeg.d7c4c4dd33f7a475e793b12ef745ca7a.jpeg

Unusually, the Welshman is actually going somewhere wetter........( marginally)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

'Archibald was convinced that Captain Kernow's stolen 9F was hidden somewhere on the top deck'.

Archibald was always a bit of a crazy mixed up kid, and I'm afraid that during his period working for Kernow Enterprises in the early Eighties he became a bit too carried away with Margaret, Sid and the rather mercenary and unfeeling spirit of the times.

I think he's OK now, but sometimes you just can't tell....

Anyway, as is well known, Evening Star in the event rose to the occasion and saw out the Somerset and Dorset line through "Midford by Earlsdon" in very fine style. After the "forty year rule" I can now, for the first time, reveal the photographic evidence of the truth of which I speak.

Last5.jpg.c273f15d64d9d41b619af13198fee712.jpgLast1.jpg.63a245e9507fabd9d16243d8fb014b37.jpgLast2.jpg.a01eb84f167867ca70ed852e70a05bed.jpgLast3.jpg.196b7b2cf6e93d45069a037dc7a20ff5.jpgLast4.jpg.e55e9ce4378e535cc50f1f9773ffbe27.jpg

Sadly Kernow Enterprises, [upon the return of its locomotive, which (the return of) was never in doubt] then sold the locomotive to scrap dealers at Tatworth North in a particularly shoddy piece of commercial chicanery. Complete with the improved pony truck that Bath by Earlsdon shed had fitted!

In case anyone is wondering, the Evening Star we know and love is in fact a much better Bachmann model from years later.

And please note that the box at Midford has already been taken out in these pictures, as it had already been removed for restoration work pending its installation on "Engine Wood", where it served faithfully for many of the last forty years. 

Thereby demonstrating the sincerity and good faith, always, of Mr Harold Morris and his helpers, one of whom I might have been, many years ago.

I'm glad we have got all that sorted out - now back to the show!

We are currently enjoying a lovely drop of rain, and all of our rooves and gutters are performing well.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

We are currently enjoying a lovely drop of rain, and all of our rooves and gutters are performing well.

I'm currently stuck in 10 West, 4th floor, at the uni, looking (and listening to) it from a rather comfortable sofa.  Of course for reasons of posterior comfort I shall at some point move to the comfy (red) armchair on level 3, after throwing some paper in the Doctoral College's office.  That leaves the next two floors before I can even contemplate looking for sustenance (although if pushed I can do a vending machine).

One cannot take paper for a walk around campus in this sort of weather!

Edited by Tim Dubya
Can I go home yet?
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Weatherwise, it is still wet but is due to ease off a bit shortly.

This has caused us a bit of a problem, in that the car park beneath Bath Brewery that we are due to use is currently partly under water.

1-thumbnail_image001.jpg.57e10a08dc538b0e6507f3e544e1be8f.jpg

The rain is due to clear later and tonight and the more detailed forecast for tomorrow in Bath currently looks to be rather better rain-wise. That said, talking to the people in the main building it apparently takes some time for he water to disperse when this happens.

If the car park remains flooded and we are not able to use it, "plan b" is for folk to park in the higher car park and also along the main road. (There is a lot of unrestricted parking along the old A4 here, especially  at weekends)

What I would ask everyone to do, whatever happens, is to leave space in the upper car park for Brian to get in and turn the minibus, there will be people in the shop to help with this.

Here's to drier times, it is raining less hard.....

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Downward wetness from the edge of the bijou galvanised walkway above the car park.

We  will still be able to use most of the outside part of the car park, even if the water does not clear.

1-IMG_6709.JPG.e908aaa71e4d374b19e17cc4f6ef779a.JPG

The car park itself inside is perfectly dry, the problem is that we will only be able to access it on foot through the vehicular entrance, where the standing water is about 6" deep at most, so not possible without wellies!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Downward wetness from the edge of the bijou galvanised walkway above the car park.

We  will still be able to use most of the outside part of the car park, even if the water does not clear.

1-IMG_6709.JPG.e908aaa71e4d374b19e17cc4f6ef779a.JPG

The car park itself inside is perfectly dry, the problem is that we will only be able to access it on foot through the vehicular entrance, where the standing water is about 6" deep at most, so not possible without wellies!

The solution used to be so simple before suing for everything became a craze, a couple of builders planks and some beer crates,  😆

• Agree 2