Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Will the Cavalex Class 60 'Snowplough's' be adjustable as per the real thing, which can be raised or lowered via a crank handle stowed in the cross corridor?

Kindest Regards,

Shed. 😁

Oooh now that'd be real attention to detail!

Jo

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Will the Cavalex Class 60 'Snowplough's' be adjustable as per the real thing, which can be raised or lowered via a crank handle stowed in the cross corridor?

Kindest Regards,

Shed. 😁

Do they really do that? Sounds like a wind up to me.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This looks to be a great model, i will certainly add some to my collection although ive yet to decide which ones, however one that i won't be buying is the 60028 Cappagh liveried example, ive not long purchased the Hornby version and as others have said, its still a very good model, i would respectfully suggest dropping that one and maybe doing a DC Rail grey one instead, i would guess most already have the 60028 Cappagh livery one and are probably not going to replace it with a Cavelex one so soon, i think Cavalex could potentially end up with a lot of them unsold, however those, like me, that have the Hornby Cappagh liveried loco will be in the market for the grey version and so i think this could sell better. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi,

Kindest Regards,

Shed. 😁

Whilst it doesn't have a winder the lower half of the dam could potentially be adjustable giving the way it's designed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

This looks to be a great model, i will certainly add some to my collection although ive yet to decide which ones, however one that i won't be buying is the 60028 Cappagh liveried example, ive not long purchased the Hornby version and as others have said, its still a very good model, i would respectfully suggest dropping that one and maybe doing a DC Rail grey one instead, i would guess most already have the 60028 Cappagh livery one and are probably not going to replace it with a Cavelex one so soon, i think Cavalex could potentially end up with a lot of them unsold, however those, like me, that have the Hornby Cappagh liveried loco will be in the market for the grey version and so i think this could sell better. 

The liveries announced are general release however further liveries will be announced later, potentially as exclusives to retailers. We do feel however that we have to have the cappagh livery in the range.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, RBE said:

Whilst it doesn't have a winder the lower half of the dam could potentially be adjustable giving the way it's designed.

Hi,

In all seriousness, this feature of the Class 60 is not something I ever saw in use on the real thing, but checking the handle was present was in fact part of the prep for one of these.

I've have ordered a Loadhaul one, as I have an awesome pic of me Driving it some years back, with a rake of Cemex HOA Hopper wagons after discharging at Crawley New Yard. I can't remember what was special about it but it was a Saturday morning job, maybe it was a lot of wagons on it or something?

Anyways, just one area specifically that I hope the Cavalex 60 will improve on what's gone before....

The join line between the body and the chassis, above the four buffers. On the Hornby 60, this area is notoriously bad for poor fitting and leaves a very obvious gap, depending how bent the end of the metal chassis is. As good as this model was for its time, I don't think this area was ever a good fit, some just being better than others but not seamless.

Over to you Cavalex, am I making sense here?

Many Thanks in advance,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Crikey air dam seems to be phrase of the day on RMweb.

Snowplough on a 60 (really useful locos, see).

Valance on a 66. 

Air dam fitted to the lower edge of a car front bumper to increase downforce. Don't think that's necessary at freight train speeds 😉

Jo

I see, Airdam is McLaren then not  GM !

Edited by rob D2

6 minutes ago, Shoey said:

@RBE Am I correct in saying that your ‘CAPPAGH’ liveried 60 will have the new style light clusters and NOT the original?

Yes we have tooled the later style two lense led WIPACs as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2023 at 18:32, GEARJAMMER said:

i’m thinking i’m going to let my Hornby Cappagh go actually.

I initially thought why a 60 ?

And was a little bit puzzled when I walked up to the stand at MRS.

Ive had a look over the 3D print and Cav and Alex gave me a good amount of time to chat over the 60 this weekend, and got beaten up about a lamp-iron !! 

Its left me with a lot of noodling ( and my little one got a 2nd Irn Bru flavoured  Ice Cream for being patient with me).

But I kind of see where they are going with this.

The Hornby 60’s cab proportions and front end arent looking right, and the roof detail could be better refined. The engine room detail on the Cavalex 60 is looking pretty promising. The buffer beam / airdam (plough/ insert your choice of wheel guard name here) could definitely be improved on the Hornby one. The relief on the bogies on the 3D print look encouraging.

I too want the DCR one, maybe two (029/055). But in retrospect whilst swapping out my Hornby ones is a tough ask, I think I will start with the current and work backwards..

I wasnt able to get a GBRF one, at a sub £200 price, and at this point I wont bother continuing to look for the Hornby one. That makes my Hornby Cappagh an outlier and I think i’m going to let that go, which brings me to DB/EWS / Colas and gets my contemporary 60’s on the same page.

Why ?

Whats obvious is the Hornby and Cavalex 60’s are not going to sit as nicely next to each other, as say, the Bachmann 37 iterations do.

Thats interesting as I thought the Hornby 60 as not bad, but its potentially not, but whilst length is the same proportions aren’t. I’m not going to be able to unsee the front end cab shape being as so different from this point, indeed the whole cab front from roof to rail is looking questionable on the Hornby 60.

I’m going to watch this project closely.

It was good to meet Mark from Rainbow Railway who was on the next door stand, and had a chat about a chance coincidence of a 60 in Blackpool… it would probably be this one.. 

1992 60056 was a few months old and on driver training, it got called in to rescue a failed Blackpool working, something it then did for at least the next day, if not two days (theres a picture of it hauling 31413 somewhere which was used for heating as I recall, as despite being failed it was still needed).

0CB13EA8-9B41-4552-BEF6-75AFBC57B765.jpeg.85958c6580d5929424d9c28652505cfa.jpeg

It also did a railtour out of Preston 1992 in the Mini railtour day which was around the same time.

60056 Preston

(Flickr url/ not mine).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7

On 08/09/2022 at 20:12, NS Peak said:

I had a similar problem.

Options I found were:

buy a new body 

try good old  flushglaze for a Hornby 25

try cutting an old cd case to size

keep checking eBay in hope

I ended up here

http://www.shawplan.com/extreme_Loco_Laserglaze_4mm.html

Sorry don’t know what happened with the post getting 2 pages 

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive had a look over the 3D print and Cav and Alex gave me a good amount of time to chat over the 60 this weekend, and got beaten up about a lamp-iron !! 

Its left me with a lot of noodling ( and my little one got a 2nd Irn Bru flavoured  Ice Cream for being patient with me).

The Hornby 60’s cab proportions and front end arent looking right, and the roof detail could be better refined. The engine room detail on the Cavalex 60 is looking pretty promising. The buffer beam / airdam (plough/ insert your choice of wheel guard name here) could definitely be improved on the Hornby one. The relief on the bogies on the 3D print look encouraging.

I too want the DCR one, maybe two (029/055). But in retrospect whilst swapping out my Hornby ones is a tough ask, I think I will start with the current and work backwards..

I wasnt able to get a GBRF one, at a sub £200 price, and at this point I wont bother continuing to look for the Hornby one. That makes my Hornby Cappagh an outlier and I think i’m going to let that go, which brings me to DB/EWS / Colas and gets my contemporary 60’s on the same page.

Why ?

Whats obvious is the Hornby and Cavalex 60’s are not going to sit as nicely next to each other, as say, the Bachmann 37 iterations do.

Thats interesting as I thought the Hornby 60 as not bad, but its potentially not, but whilst length is the same proportions aren’t. I’m not going to be able to unsee the front end cab shape being as so different from this point, indeed the whole cab front from roof to rail is looking questionable on the Hornby 60.

It was good to meet Mark from Rainbow Railway who was on the next door stand, and had a chat about a chance coincidence of a 60 in Blackpool… it would probably be this one.. 

1992 60056 was a few months old and on driver training, it got called in to rescue a failed Blackpool working, something it then did for at least the next day, if not two days (theres a picture of it hauling 31413 somewhere which was used for heating as I recall, as despite being failed it was still needed).

It also did a railtour out of Preston 1992 in the Mini railtour day which was around the same time.

60056 Preston

(Flickr url/ not mine).

How many 60s are you buying? All 101 of them.

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Why ?

60056 Preston

(Flickr url/ not mine).

Hi ADB968008, it was good to see you at the weekend and talk about our Class 60 project.

Lamp irons were the main topic of conversation on Saturday night which caused some in depth discussions between Cav and I…..however, the outcome is still the same!!!!!

I am really pleased to hear that you came away from visiting our stand having seen first-hand the 3D print which captures the face of the locomotive so well. Hopefully you can now fully appreciate what we are trying to achieve with our Class 60 project. 
The 3D print certainly gives you a visual representation of what to expect when the first EP arrives.

As I am sure you could probably tell from our chat, we are all very passionate about our projects and in particular this Type-5. If you couldn’t tell, we quite like these Brush Beasts!
Thanks for taking the time to pop by and have a chat.

I must confess; we were a little disappointed that we were not offered an ice cream!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Thank you to everyone that has posted on our thread since the announcement last week and for the positive reaction to our Class 60 project. We are delighted with the comments and feedback received so far and very excited to share this fantastic project with the modelling community.

Thanks to those that attended Model Rail Scotland at the weekend and visited our stand to discuss the Class 60 and our other projects. It was a great weekend.

A lot of time and effort has gone into this locomotive project, and we are very excited to bring this to fruition. 

I can see me getting a few of these for my layout!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Thank you to everyone that has posted on our thread since the announcement last week and for the positive reaction to our Class 60 project. We are delighted with the comments and feedback received so far and very excited to share this fantastic project with the modelling community.

Thanks to those that attended Model Rail Scotland at the weekend and visited our stand to discuss the Class 60 and our other projects. It was a great weekend.

A lot of time and effort has gone into this locomotive project, and we are very excited to bring this to fruition. 

I can see me getting a few of these for my layout!

You might need a few ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2023 at 09:58, adb968008 said:

Why ?

60056 Preston

(Flickr url/ not mine).

It was good to meet you too and thanks for solving the mystery of the first 60 I remember seeing at Blackpool. I’ve already ordered a coal sector one but may add a second to recreate this one. I’ve managed to sell a couple of Hornby ones so far to make a bit of room. 60095 is another 90’s contender to recreate the network northwest day from 1992. Think that was the same day you did your mini tour.

All the best

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

So, had a good look at the 3d Print on display at Ally Pally this weekend and I have to say, in person you can really see the improvement over the Hornby offering. The cab ends in particular look a lot more like the real thing, the shape has been captured better too. Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1