Class 66, By Accurascale

4 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

I was after an 'early' EWS 66 too until I found this picture of 66171 I took at Valley back in July 2006. Didn't realise they were receiving wing mirrors as early as this.

MF0717.jpg

A photo of 66171 on the Tinto's... that's all I needed 🙈

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

I wonder if production and sales data of the Hattons 66 is included in the deal, i.e. how many of each were made and how quickly did each of them sell.

Of course, there are obvious ones that sold very slowly, e.g. the Royal Scotsman and the Orange Freightliner. But what's important is which ones sold the quickest, because that'd be very helpful in deciding which liveries to re-do first.

Accurascale should do a purple one then. It'll be the fastest selling livery.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Do you think your models need to be long lasting examples of prototypes or would it not matter to you

It depends if it is prototypical of a time I am interested in. So applying some logic to that, if there are lots of people like that then a model which is as per a prototype with more longevity is likely to appeal to more people.

4 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Maybe a stupid question but why do some 66s have wing mirrors? It's not like they have to mirror, signal, manoeuvrer when changing tracks. 

For reversing, somebody should have put a cab at the other end. Wait a minute...

Seriously I have no idea but I'm sure there's a good reason 

• RMweb Gold

I would assume they are so that the driver can see shunters etc. waving the loco back without having to lean out of the window, which is becoming increasingly difficult as more central driving positions become more common. Avoids the need to change ends which takes time. 

Roy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yeah , that ain’t no livery. That’s undercoat. I’d suggest a can of Halfords primer 

It sort of was and wasn't - The "Battleship Grey" was the base livery for Belgium freight operator CrossRail (previously numbered DE6313) which this batch carried for a brief time until their dates with the Arlington paint shop at Eastleigh. 

• Agree 1

I think 66001 in orginal DB Schenker branding would be good. Also hoping for an debranded EWS example with the DB stickers. They are for sure on my list. 

I think a good seller would also be FastLine, FL / Shanks or GBRF triple grey liveried examples for an AS exclusive! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, surfsup said:

It sort of was and wasn't - The "Battleship Grey" was the base livery for Belgium freight operator CrossRail (previously numbered DE6313) which this batch carried for a brief time until their dates with the Arlington paint shop at Eastleigh. 

I know it wasn’t really undercoat. I was being mildly facetious ;)

• Funny 1

It’s amazing how many people can name what the sell out and good sellers will be. It seems strangely connected to the “ I’d buy one “. 

Im going against the mood and saying the purple one would sell out - and that I don’t want one . How selfless !

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would assume they are so that the driver can see shunters etc. waving the loco back without having to lean out of the window, which is becoming increasingly difficult as more central driving positions become more common. Avoids the need to change ends which takes time. 

Roy

The reason was shunting !!! One of EWS grand schemes was to bin the Class 08s so, LDCs stipulated when shunting 2 drivers must be used to see shunters etc, then came the wing mirrors and hey presto we could shunt on our own.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I missed out on the 66743 Royal Scotsman one so I’d love to see that but I think my best chance is to find it second hand on eBay. I would love to see a Platinum Jubilee version though. Would go quite nicely with my Elizabeth II West Country. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if a Stobart one is incoming as an exclusive! 
Personally, I’d be happy to see either of the DRS ones, the EwS one didn’t have a very long operating career in the livery. 
So many liveries to choose from, at least it will be good to have the 66 back in the market with the annoying niggles addressed. 
So, any chance of 412 in its de-branded form following it move to Freightliner 😉

14 hours ago, DanielP said:

Maybe of interest, I've noticed that the model is missing the 'zero injuries' stickers next to the doors which appeared in August 2015. Additionally the lights were updated to LED in October 2017.

66507 is in 'as built' condition.

Best

Al

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I'd say for 'specials' the Flying Dustman and Evening Star would sell well.

So many options I'm sure.

Al.

Biffa was done by Hattons anyway so they are about unless they do it in early three window guise,and yes Evening Star has to be an Exclusive surly

evening star 66.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2023 at 18:02, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for the detailed reply to the questions, it’s greatly appreciated. 

So the couplings will still be on a spring but there have been some modifications made, this sounds good. Do the couplings still swing right around close to the buffers, or do they now stay more forward facing even when going around corners? I’m just thinking in relation to interlocking between wagons and other locos and derailing. Also I forgot to mention this yesterday but have you amended the coupling ‘droop’? On the original Hattons batch the couplings easily pushed down when any pressure was applied which meant that couplings between the loco and wagons or other locos became tangled and caused derailments. Is there any chance that you could produce a video showing the loco up close attached to other 66s and wagons running along straight stretches of track and around corners? This is just the main and only niggle and slight reservation I have before deciding which ones to pre-order from the first batch. 

The additional tooling to cover more cab interiors and the Euro variants is excellent news. As we know the GBRf Euro variants have never been modelled in RTR form before, so this is very exciting news. The batch of 747, 748 and 749 have already worn five different liveries for GBRf in the UK and they have only been here for ten years. These are plain Grey with Orange GBRf numbers on the bodysides (worn by all three), GBRf Blue and Orange Europorte (worn by all three), 747 in Newell & Wright Transport livery, 748 with Safer branding and decals and 749 in GBRf Blue and Orange but without Europorte branding. 

It’s good to hear that there will be a specific DCC Decoder available to buy directly from yourselves via your website for the 66. I would rather buy this DCC Decoder than another one which might not allow everything to function. 

So just to confirm you aren’t ruling out reproducing the same liveries and running numbers that Hattons have in the original batch? I would welcome seeing 743 and 746 in Royal Scotsman livery and 780 in Cemex livery. 780 would be perfect to run with your hopper wagons. It’s good to hear that standard/mundane liveries and running numbers will feature regularly too. This is something that Bachmann have lacked in there range especially in recent years. The last Freightliner Green 66 was produced in 2014/2015! This is far too long of a gap to leave it missing from the range. 

It’s excellent to hear that the price for standard DCC Ready and Sound Fitted examples will remain the same regardless of where each model is available from and the livery. For £170 for the definitive 66 and for special/unique liveries this is exceptional value for money. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi McC, 

I appreciate you will have had a busy weekend but when you get a chance please could you make us a video of the 66 attached to wagons and other 66s specifically focusing on the couplings and there movement and so we can see if they droop as much as they did originally. This is the only slight reservation I have before deciding which models to pre-order. 

Also I forgot to mention the other day that 743 and 746 when produced by Hattons in Royal Scotsman livery didn’t have all of the lighting operational, as there was an error when producing the locos with this lighting configuration. That’s one reason why I mentioned about you reproducing models from the Hattons batch in the same livery and with the same numbers. That reason and because some people like me missed out on some versions due to so many different models and liveries arriving at the same time. Is this something that you may do and you aren’t ruling out, or is this a no go? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi McC, 

I appreciate you will have had a busy weekend but when you get a chance please could you make us a video of the 66 attached to wagons and other 66s specifically focusing on the couplings and there movement and so we can see if they droop as much as they did originally. This is the only slight reservation I have before deciding which models to pre-order. 

Also I forgot to mention the other day that 743 and 746 when produced by Hattons in Royal Scotsman livery didn’t have all of the lighting operational, as there was an error when producing the locos with this lighting configuration. That’s one reason why I mentioned about you reproducing models from the Hattons batch in the same livery and with the same numbers. That reason and because some people like me missed out on some versions due to so many different models and liveries arriving at the same time. Is this something that you may do and you aren’t ruling out, or is this a no go? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I would say Royal Scotsman 66s would be a bad idea. Yes they had lighting issues, but the same issues didn’t stop other liveries selling out long before the Scotsman version. 

Even when 66746 appears on ebay, it tends to be one of the cheaper versions. 

66s have worn so many liveries that are yet to be modelled, why do such a risky version?

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi McC, 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

There is lots of footage of it running with wagons in the launch video

• Thanks 1