Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 66, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, XChris said:

Anyway, back to sheds!

DRS compass on a 66/3 or later /4 would be on my list.

I quite like some 66/6’s in FL livery or Bardon Blue.

then there is always Fastline, Malcolm or Stobart liveries too

Some modern image european derived GBRF high numbers would be nice 793/794, a correct livery colas one is the only hattons redone i would like to see as i think redoing the Hattons numbers a waste,not many surface on the dock of the bay and still hold there own money wise, a Maritime one would be nice and 718/721 would be popular i guess in high spec, any EWS as built and Freightliner too,526 as a mark of respect would be nice as its gone to Poland now i believe,im sure the boys have them picked for next run,time will tell once the current batch are sorted.

• Agree 6

They’ll pick the stuff that’ll sell .

Can’t see EWS or DB not being in demand .

Fastline may be a little niche . Didn’t they last for about 6 months back in 2008 ?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

They’ll pick the stuff that’ll sell .

Can’t see EWS or DB not being in demand .

Fastline may be a little niche . Didn’t they last for about 6 months back in 2008 ?

Would go nice with the Fastline hoppers but time will tell,they looked good in the livery.

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Would go nice with the Fastline hoppers but time will tell,they looked good in the livery.

Were those a general release ?

• RMweb Premium

66002 has been assimilated into the DB red so it dates converting 66001 into it as was mentioned a page or two ago,(image off Facebook Spencer Conquest) and 66652 has been regeared at Toton so another early number gone. 440363265_7496991867053972_7610558472505

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I’d certainly like to see 66001 in DBS livery, ex DRS 66/4 (66413) would be good too. I’d second the comments for a bardon livery or even a re run of shanks 66513. I would also love to see some of the GBRF ex Euro sheds done namely 66750. One of the LU liveries would be great on this tooling too! I’d also echo the comments for the infamous EWS white roof’d 66177!

Edited by WCML100
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Different fonts used numbering 66002 there.

Theyve been using that font for awhile now on red sheds.

Looks like its similar to that used on blue and sectorisation, although the 2 is slightly different

Edit; I think 66069 was one of the first to carry this style. Two years ago. Flickr pic

66069 Toton 05/05/22.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

Theyve been using that font for awhile now on red sheds.

Looks like its similar to that used on blue and sectorisation, although the 2 is slightly different

Edit; I think 66069 was one of the first to carry this style. Two years ago. Flickr pic

66069 Toton 05/05/22.

Yes, summer 2022 the font changed. Some appeared with the older stickers after those with new style numbers, but these were repainted earlier and sat at Toton waiting parts.

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Yes, summer 2022 the font changed. Some appeared with the older stickers after those with new style numbers, but these were repainted earlier and sat at Toton waiting parts.

Jo

Ok, but, why do DB put the numbers on the wrong side of the cab? I will apologise in advance for being thick on this issue...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Ok, but, why do DB put the numbers on the wrong side of the cab? I will apologise in advance for being thick on this issue...

Similar vein I was wondering why they hadnt gone native parental and put the numbers in the centre lower bodyside.

6 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I believe it comes from the first red loco 59206 having a nameplate on the left hand cab side.

67018 was the first red 67 (though Canadian not DB red) and this too had a nameplate on the driver's side of the cab.

Other red locos have the number under the driver's window, its only the GM locos that have the right hand number.

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

I believe it comes from the first red loco 59206 having a nameplate on the left hand cab side.

67018 was the first red 67 (though Canadian not DB red) and this too had a nameplate on the driver's side of the cab.

Other red locos have the number under the driver's window, its only the GM locos that have the right hand number.

Jo

So its an American/Canadian thing,they do the same with their cars insisting the passenger drives....:)

• Funny 4

For anyone thinking about installing a Hornby HM7000 chip, it appears that the headlights don't work. Has anybody managed this yet?

The Hattons model had more internal switches that allowed you to have either of the headlights on but the Accurascale one doesn't seem to have this feature.

I'm sure it'd be easy enough to run the headlights off the marker lights but you wouldn't have independent control of them. I think the Accurascale 37's also have this headlight issue with HM7000 chips and possibly others too.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2024 at 21:34, scottrains29 said:

For anyone thinking about installing a Hornby HM7000 chip, it appears that the headlights don't work. Has anybody managed this yet?

The Hattons model had more internal switches that allowed you to have either of the headlights on but the Accurascale one doesn't seem to have this feature.

I'm sure it'd be easy enough to run the headlights off the marker lights but you wouldn't have independent control of them. I think the Accurascale 37's also have this headlight issue with HM7000 chips and possibly others too.

i'm sure in the 37 thread it was mentioned that to get full functionality such as lighting you have to use the ESU chips that are sold on the AS web site. i was disappointed to read this as i use the hm7000 in my AS 37, the sounds are great but lighting is a pain. Saying that at 50% of the cost of an ESU chip and the ability to move it to another loco and change the sound profile its a compromise i accept. Appreciate others won't for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i'm sure in the 37 thread it was mentioned that to get full functionality such as lighting you have to use the ESU chips that are sold on the AS web site. i was disappointed to read this as i use the hm7000 in my AS 37, the sounds are great but lighting is a pain. Saying that at 50% of the cost of an ESU chip and the ability to move it to another loco and change the sound profile its a compromise i accept. Appreciate others won't for obvious reasons.

Yes, there was a heated debate about it and the fact that AS DCC is bespoke and not fully compatible with other chips. Got a bit tasty over 'industry standards' like NRMA etc. The comment below was towards the end of the debate but makes a valid point IMHO (And on reflection as I was initally I was supportive of AS stretching the chips, but realised it is taking an Apple like approach to force people to stay in their 'ecosystem' by preventing full operation using laternative decoders etc)

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Yes, there was a heated debate about it and the fact that AS DCC is bespoke and not fully compatible with other chips. Got a bit tasty over 'industry standards' like NRMA etc. The comment below was towards the end of the debate but makes a valid point IMHO (And on reflection as I was initally I was supportive of AS stretching the chips, but realised it is taking an Apple like approach to force people to stay in their 'ecosystem' by preventing full operation using laternative decoders etc)

it did indeed get tasty and to be honest i 100% I don't like the AS approach .The fact the chips are only sold on their website as well does not help, that topic has been done to death now but the points are still valid. 

Back to the poster about this topic, if you want lights, the AS chip is the only away (as been mentioned other 21 pin 6 function decoders with powered outputs still don't work), if you want minimal lighting but full sound with flexibility for half the cost, its a hm7000, take your pick.

• RMweb Gold

The simple truth is you cannot have it both ways. I do not think the HM7000 is rich enough in functions to support all the features on the Accurascale 37. The Cavalex 56 is the same as, no doubt, are other models. Both are NMRA compliant but both have had to extend beyound the current NMRA standard to accomoadate the extra features many modellers want. Maybe the NMRA need to extend the standard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

I don't like the AS approach

For clarity… it’s not the accurascale approach. Other manufacturers have used ESU to give the full lighting functions for their models - which went down with the Same “it’s not fair” cries, but the reality is, people want the bells and whistles a lot of the time so they’ll use the chip that works with the loco…

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

i use the hm 7000 dongle to run my trains,  ok i cant change cv on the go but i dont change cv often anyway,  im happy i get all the accurascale  lights and sounds etc and still works off my tablet and there no delay when i press things on the tablet,  maybe the dongle is another way of doing things?

• RMweb Gold

i assume you have the ESU chip though, that would work depending on your DCC system. 

I've got the dongle and working my way through loco's and adding them, great system if you can live with a few limitations.

20 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i assume you have the ESU chip though, that would work depending on your DCC system. 

I've got the dongle and working my way through loco's and adding them, great system if you can live with a few limitations.

yeah i got sound fitted AS locos,   for what i want to do it is great,  yes it a pain adding the functions, but  you only have to add them once and then you can set them to all locos using that functions list

2 hours ago, BR Blue said:

The simple truth is you cannot have it both ways. I do not think the HM7000 is rich enough in functions to support all the features

As mentioned above, the HM7000 in the Hattons 66 allows you to have the full front lights (makers, day/night and top light) as well as allowing you to switch on/off the tail lights at either/both ends.

Agreed, the HM7000 will never allow the full amount of functions on Accurascale locos (cab light, dash board, engine lights, etc) but I would have thought it should at least give the basic headlight, markers/tail lights in a similar way to how Hattons managed it. The additional light functions on the HM7000 don't seem to do anything on the Acc66.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's worth quickly clarifying something here, as there is a difference that makes the 37 a bit of an exception. however ill keep it as quick as I can while covering all I thing is relevent as I don't want to repeat a previous topics result when it came to dcc. for reference in this post. I have used zimo MN340C/D's (variant dependant on what the loco requires) to test all the locos / stock mentioned in the post, excluding the 37 as mine are all sound fitted.

due to the 37's huge amount of functions, they way it was set up meant that there was no other option than ESU as it required more than the 10+2 function outputs NMRA specify. so as annoying as it was to discover it was the only way with that exact set up. maybe it could've been done differently but thats how AS chose to do it.

other models such as this 66 and the CAV 56 are within the 10+2 function limit however still only seem to give full functionality with ESU (interestingly however the Revolution Trains 'Caroline' operates fine). not sure on why this is, and in all honesty its even more annoying. However whether the cause is due to ESU OR other decoders somehow having different interpretations of the standard, or someone not following it properly, or maybe one of the companies made an honest mistake, the result just means we have to be more cautious about the exact chip rather than just matching the amount of functions.

I gave up trying to investigate after blowing 4 zimo chips in a 56. theoretically the HM7000 chip I believe should work via the app as it can access upto AUX 8(?), however saying that, as documented further back in the thread a correctly set up zimo chip (to operate upto AUX 10) will only work upto Aux 4.

personally as annoying as it is to those of us who want to use one brand of chip for various reasons. I've come to the decision that I will test everything on zimo, see what works and what doesn't. if I cant get enough lighting to work then I'll look at the specific chip, but it won't be a priority. I will admit that AS do help this by making the pre-programmed chips available with no extra hassle.

I would like to make it clear that I am not intentionally accusing anyone of anything here. just layout out facts from my experience from various models and from reading other threads on here. if it comes across as in any other way then I apologies in advance, that was not the intention.

*Edit* - Forgot on final point

of course as has been said in other threads, the annoyance of a model not working with other decoders could be avoided by making it clear in the description that despite all best and well intentioned efforts, only pre-programmed chips guarantee full operations of the function outputs. I can understand that there might be a concern that stipulation would hurt sales, but given the track record with AS stock I don't think thats a concern. I do stand by the last line of the post linked above in the 37 thread,  however they are not my products so I will leave it there. it has to be said that when the DCC functions are working correctly, the recent models form AS and Cavalex as well as other are truly outstanding. with the right scenery, weathering and angles ive genuinely mistaken these for their real counterparts.

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway