RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

Photos of coal trains in the grouping period are a glorious mix of different sizes of wagons. I have many Bachmann and Oxford Rail RCH 1923 wagons and I am grateful that they have made several appropriate livery and operator names for my area, but the trains look too uniform.

I am delighted Rapido have made these earlier wagons and look forward to any more colliery and factor wagon liveries they may do in the future. I am supporting the project by buying as many names in the current releases as I can justify running on my lines :-) 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Covkid said:

I understand your drive here Andy, but I personally think your expectations are a little high.  I know model manufacturers place a "potted history" with their product, but the sphere is so huge, you cannot really cover the "life and times" of the 7 plank 1907 in less than the Turton volumes.  Surely this is all about the purchaser doing their own research, with a basic provision from Rapido. Also, how many purchasers actually care to your extent ?

My modelling period is around 1960 to 1974 so the remaining NCB internal users were in their last decade of use, on a private colliery railway branch.  The Rapido product I see is a fantastic canvas for practising my weathering skills, and I suppose it is easy for me t buy half a dozen "St Andrews cross" examples which wont be going far behind my NCB locos. 

To be clear here.  I was not expecting a full history.  I would have liked some indications such as:

Livery introduced with the first 1907 build specs and continued until at least 19xx

Photographic evidence of this livery in use in 19xx ( and 19xx) - providing some potential limits

Livery in use until the take over in 19xx where progressive change commenced.

New livery introduced from roughly 19xx - either as an indicative start of end point.

etc..

I don't in any  way want to suggest that these anything but a are a massive step forward from where we have been with rtr, but a dearth of prototype info from the producer is a disappointment.  Those who disagree are invited to keep stum the next time they see a class 66 hauling Dapmannby PO wagons on an exhibition layout.  If you don't inform your purchasers they are very likely to go wrong.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

5-plank wagon No 140. ‘Royal Dockyard Chatham’

Why is this wagon marked Load 5 Tons ?

I see that the photo of it on the heritage wagon database:

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8460

shows it with (for a fictitious livery) rather more prototype-literate grey solebars, headstocks, and end-pillars with black ironwork - it has evidently had the misfortune to be repainted by someone brought up on steel-framed wagons.

I note the database says "ex-Fife Coal Company".

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Why is this wagon marked Load 5 Tons ?

I see that the photo of it on the heritage wagon database:

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8460

shows it with (for a fictitious livery) rather more prototype-literate grey solebars, headstocks, and end-pillars with black ironwork - it has evidently had the misfortune to be repainted by someone brought up on steel-framed wagons.

I note the database says "ex-Fife Coal Company".

So I've just sent this to one of the dockyard railway volunteers and he has said that this wagon is not the ex-fife coal wagon that one is a different wagon at the dockyard. 

It was overhauled and repainted into how it is now a few years ago. I can't give any more answers currently 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Chatham.mrc said:

So I've just sent this to one of the dockyard railway volunteers and he has said that this wagon is not the ex-fife coal wagon that one is a different wagon at the dockyard. 

It was overhauled and repainted into how it is now a few years ago. I can't give any more answers currently 

The heritage database is sometimes wrong!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chatham.mrc said:

Cheers for sharing I was gunna post it in here today. Absolutely stunning model of it and by far the best one made of it

IMG_20240414_181201_034.jpg

July is a long time to wait ;-)

• Like 1

Received the Kernow exclusive Moger. Very impressive in all aspects. The brake gear is particularly fine with separate inner/outer Vee hangars and proper split push rods for the brake blocks.

PXL_20240415_122806995.jpg.21e3f8abc2da602d08bc233855d903e2.jpg

What's also a very neat piece of design is the draw gear rods double up as the centering device for the coupling pockets.

PXL_20240415_122747842.jpg.e6c949b0a309505ed1f214bc03203571.jpg

Looking forward to the SECR & LBSC wagons later in the year.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

To be clear here.  I was not expecting a full history.  I would have liked some indications such as:

Livery introduced with the first 1907 build specs and continued until at least 19xx

Photographic evidence of this livery in use in 19xx ( and 19xx) - providing some potential limits

Livery in use until the take over in 19xx where progressive change commenced.

New livery introduced from roughly 19xx - either as an indicative start of end point.

Well that's a bit more than I was hoping for.  I suspect that in a lot of cases Rapido won't have that much detail and the livery as modelled may be based on a single photograph taken in 19xx.  When the livery first came into service or was replaced isn't necessarily relevant to painting a model, so I wouldn't expect Rapido to research that, but information that says 'based on a photograph from circa 19xx' would be useful - especially for those of us who don't possess a vast library of PO wagons books.

On 13/04/2024 at 11:16, KAR 120C said:

A yellow square with two ‘CC’s in black superimposed on it signifies that a ‘commuted charge’ payment has been made by the wagon owner.  This was introduced in 1926.

A yellow star also signifies that a ‘commuted charge’ payment has been made by the wagon owner.  This was introduced in 1933.

(This topic was considered back in 2012 in the ‘Private Owner Wagon Marking’ thread under UK Prototype Questions).

That's really useful, as it at least rules out one of the retailer specific models I was looking at as being 'too modern'.  Thankfully none of the ones I've pre-ordered from the main range and still to collect from my local retailer are so marked.  That doesn't mean they're definitely right for my period, but it's a start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Chatham.mrc said:

Cheers for sharing I was gunna post it in here today. Absolutely stunning model of it and by far the best one made of it

IMG_20240414_181201_034.jpg

I sooo want a couple of these but I'm far, far away ..... :-(

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ronny said:

I sooo want a couple of these but I'm far, far away ..... :-(

Me too, I'm planning  on taking a train to England to get one (used to be a member of the Chatham club too).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/04/2024 at 10:41, Wickham Green too said:

this is my current understanding of the Rapido offer - personalised for the sources I've found and my desire for possible 1948 survivors

One bit of info to add to your list, from Turton's 8th volume: the Glass Houghton wagon is captioned as being photographed at Goole in the "early 20th century" and is indeed lettered as needing returning to the Methley Branch of the L&Y.  So it is an authentic pre-grouping one, though when exactly is not clear.  Whether it was still around in 1948 is another question - possibly yes given the two wars extending the life of railway stock?

PXL_20240413_204223556.jpg.816f1771b560325d5fa9a07ecc575195.jpgI have received my Glass Houghton wagon and was pleased to find it was a relatively easy conversion to P4 - a straight swap of the 00 wheelsets for Gibson P4 ones with no major axle length problems, and only needing a bit filing off the brake shoes to allow the wheels to rotate freely.  (Actually I filed a bit more off than I needed to so there is now daylight visible.  Hmm, might try a shim of styrene to pack the shoes back out a bit.)

As has been commented, the plastic brake gear is commendably fine, with twin push rods etc.   There are a few relatively minor dfferences with the prototype: the most noticeable is that the hinge for the end door was above the wagon not inside, and the washer plate ("strapping") on the end door end of the sides should be curved at the bottom not straight.   Plus there were commode handles on the fixed end, horse loops across the left crown plates, and this wagon had bottom doors, so there were monkey tails and extra bolts on the solebars, plus obviously, doors in the floor if you really want to go to town with an upgrade!

The livery is spot on, and it's a lovely wagon.  I hope Rapido will be bringing out more Yorkshire colliery wagons in the future!  

All the best

Neil 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Kernow's MOGER arrived. Lovely wagon, shown below next to a 15 year old Dapol MOGER wagon which is longer and uses a different running number (couplings replaced with modern slim tension locks).

It was the last RCH I ordered and yet the first to arrive....

I feel Bachmann's E4 looks a little big with this pair, so hopefully we'll get E1 110 to run instead 😉

Some quick snaps:

RCD_02.jpg

RCH_01.jpg

RCH_03.jpg

RCH_04.jpg

EDIT : EXTRA PICTURES:

After Rapido saw some other LBSCR loco with their RCH wagon today, they decided to go ahead with E1 110, so that I'll have their LBSCR loco with their wagon LOL

RCH_05.jpg.638df3faf9847a5f19fa1c5c394cf283.jpg

RCH_06.jpg.45be375172dee89520014af0658b20f8.jpg

RCH_07.jpg.b1186b3a8a7b8b15b30802f64f23679d.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

I don't think this has been mentioned before (if so I have missed it and apologise) but Harburn Hobbies have commissioned Rapido #967025, a limited edition 5-plank wagon in the livery of the Callendar Coal Co. Ltd. of Falkirk, which is now available.  Details here:

https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/SPECIAL-EDITION-for-HARBURN-HOBBIES---Rapido-967025--Callendar-Coal-Company-Falkirk--10550.html#SID=147

Edited by 64F
typo in link
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, 64F said:

I don't think this has been mentioned before (if so I have missed it and apologise) but Harburn Hobbies have commissioned Rapido #967025, a limited edition 5-plank wagon in the livery of the Callendar Coal Co. Ltd. of Falkirk, which is now available.  Details here:

https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/SPECIAL-EDITION-for-HARBURN-HOBBIES---Rapido-967025--Callendar-Coal-Company-Falkirk--10550.html#SID=147

I picked mine up yesterday, limited edition of only 200.

Brian.

IMG_1025.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

I too collected mine from Harburn. With the beautiful sunshine in Edinburgh yesterday, I couldn't resist a quick snapshot while waiting for a tram... 

What! Sunshine on Leith Walk?

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

My first two excellent Rapido models, now ready for service, converted to EM, first removed couplings, you will now have to glue the sub floor and weight in place, a little of the brake shoes had to be carved off, EM wheel sets were a straight replacement, had to remove a piece of the sub floor and the slot was increased to accommodate the Smiths 3 link coupling. interior was repainted and the whole wagon weathered, looking forward to converting the other five.

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

• Like 19

On 17/04/2024 at 12:44, Skinnylinny said:

I too collected mine from Harburn. With the beautiful sunshine in Edinburgh yesterday, I couldn't resist a quick snapshot while waiting for a tram... 

20240416_164832.jpg.0c308f55c47537d2b7fabccaf51561c2.jpg

I love that shade of blue.  If only more PO wagons were that colour rather than black or grey.

• Like 4

I quite fancy a couple of the London based ones, I noticed Rapido's website pretty much puts every single PO wagon livery in the pre grouping period, I suppose the only real way to guesstimate how long a company wagon may or may not have lasted is by finding out when the company ceased trading, I expect by the late 30s / 40s any pre grouping PO wagon would be heavily weathered / patched, were they pooled for the war effort the same way as the big 4?

And I wonder for example if Kernow's Moger wagon would have retained that LBSCR branding fading away through its life or if it would have got an SR reband, assuming the wagon lasted that long 

Of course I absolutely can make my own alternate history regardless 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Added a couple of words
  • Like 3