RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.

rapidoandy

• 4 months later...

In the newsletter, it states 70 different colour schemes for these wagons, however I can only count 53 between Rapidos range and those exclusive to shops.

So who else is doing them?

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

In the newsletter, it states 70 different colour schemes for these wagons, however I can only count 53 between Rapidos range and those exclusive to shops.

We are doing these NCB wagons - https://worldofrailways.hooluh.co.uk/wagons

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Probably a few commissions yet to be announced. I know of at least one as I was working with the person who commissioned them for a fundraiser to help with livery selection.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I know of a club, in cooperation with a museum, having a commission underway.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

With the arrival of our PO Wagons later this month we thought we would some more to the range - this time a 6' 6" side door only 7-plank.

967-POs-All-1.jpg.4146f593dc54dcfc731fc2fd7acff77c.jpg

A large number of wagons were produced to this design for both private companies and also mainline railway firms - see Corbs thread on these.

967-BRexPO-All-1.jpg.82b34ad6a85da53f988b69136684694a.jpg

Once again we will produce a few private owner liveries - but after several requests we have added some ex- PO wagons in BR livery. To finish it off we have added four "What If" liveries featuring locomotive engineers of the Big Four.

967-Big4-All-1.jpg.0154b3aefad4d37dff872a8a5bbfd311.jpg

The orderbook is open and as usual you can order direct from us or from any of our official retailers.

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

• rapidoandy changed the title to RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.
4 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Once again we will produce a few private owner liveries - but after several requests we have added some ex- PO wagons in BR livery. To finish it off we have added four "What If" liveries featuring locomotive engineers of the Big Four.

967-Big4-All-1.jpg.0154b3aefad4d37dff872a8a5bbfd311.jpg

Now these look good...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More colliery wagons like the Middleton one would be good - perhaps in bulk packs. They were more considerably numerous than local merchants' wagons and generally ranged more widely over the railway system, and hence ought to be more generally useful and better sellers.

But heigh-ho, when did historical accuracy and authentic operation ever matter? Indeed, one might question why it was worth the bother of producing an accurate wagon in the first place...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

More colliery wagons like the Middleton one would be good - perhaps in bulk packs. They were more considerably numerous than local merchants' wagons and generally ranged more widely over the railway system, and hence ought to be more generally useful and better sellers.

But heigh-ho, when did historical accuracy and authentic operation ever matter? Indeed, one might question why it was worth the bother of producing an accurate wagon in the first place...

Wellllll if colliery ones are what you want, you know what to order ;) If something is popular and sells well then it'll inform us how to plan future batches.

It won't surprise you to know that the colourful ones tend to sell well!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It won't surprise you to know that the colourful ones tend to sell well!

My complaint is not so much against Rapido trying to turn a penny but rather more against the lack of historical discipline amongst the RTR-buying public.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

On 07/08/2023 at 19:48, Zunnan said:

This is something that RMWeb/World of Railways has wound up doing with the NCB internal user wagons after what appears to have been quite the popular initial announcement, to the point where further livery variants and a selection of other multiple wagon sets have been offered very quickly to meet demand.

The trouble with Internal User wagons (NCB or anybody else) is that they wouuldn't leave the premises of the business they belonged to.  Fine if you're modelling a colliery or a steelworks or whatever, but they're inappropriate for running as part of a through goods of some sort on a more general layout, so demand ought to be more limited than other PO liveries. 

However if you are modelling the colliery, you really want a decent sized fleet of them, all with different numbers, and given that they were generally old wagons no longer fit for main line service, they should ideally be in a variety of states of dilapidation.  Probably best to produce such wagons without numbers, leaving the user to number and weather them accordingly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

967-BRexPO-All-1.jpg.82b34ad6a85da53f988b69136684694a.jpg

Once again we will produce a few private owner liveries - but after several requests we have added some ex- PO wagons in BR livery. 

As someone who asked for precisely that, this is welcome news indeed. The mockups don't really do justice to the real life appearance of a patched BR number over a very weathered and worn wagon, so it will be interesting to see the first decorated samples of these. But I'll definitely be buying a couple. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Will you guys knock it off for a bit! Every time I think I'm clear, BOOM new announcement. The LBSC wagons will have to be purchased and the early SECR wagons to go with the rails SER break van. 

Given all the research that goes into these would it be possible to mark the PO wagons home turf on the website? Like the era system of something.

Joe Blogs coal -era 3- south west

Stuff Co -era 4- north

I know they all travelled around but it would be useful if you was trying to make up a local goods. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Will you guys knock it off for a bit! Every time I think I'm clear, BOOM new announcement. The LBSC wagons will have to be purchased and the early SECR wagons to go with the rails SER break van. 

Given all the research that goes into these would it be possible to mark the PO wagons home turf on the website? Like the era system of something.

They did a separate thread for those.  And agree they are certainly welcome....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

My complaint is not so much against Rapido trying to turn a penny but rather more against the lack of historical discipline amongst the RTR-buying public.

Well of course, hobbies are always better when everyone does exactly the same and have to stick rigidly to "rules" set down by people who know better 😉

m1wg5o1qsij71.webp.579ca5d94e5c97af301fdaaec21eb3a7.webp

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

26 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The trouble with Internal User wagons (NCB or anybody else) is that they wouuldn't leave the premises of the business they belonged to.  Fine if you're modelling a colliery or a steelworks or whatever, but they're inappropriate for running as part of a through goods of some sort on a more general layout, so demand ought to be more limited than other PO liveries. 

However if you are modelling the colliery, you really want a decent sized fleet of them, all with different numbers, and given that they were generally old wagons no longer fit for main line service, they should ideally be in a variety of states of dilapidation.  Probably best to produce such wagons without numbers, leaving the user to number and weather them accordingly.

I agree entirely. The internal user wagons are just that, and are pretty much as restricted in their sphere of operation as the typical industrial locomotive is.

I still think that the precedent set by the way those internal user wagons were offered would be well applied to the Rapido wagon range at large, al la Accurascale. Three packs of the various liveries on offer would be literally eaten up for fleet building, whether they were all from one fleet or a mix of geographically linked wagons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The Lockhurst Lane Co-operative Society, Foleshill is an inspired choice

It was founded in 1832 and was the first in the Region.

After several mergers, first with the Coventry Co-op (1968), it became part of the Heart of England Co-operative Society

The Heart of England Co-operative Society's headquarters is on a trading estate, off Lockhurst Lane, Foleshill, a stone's throw from the original shop.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

33 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

They did a separate thread for those.  And agree they are certainly welcome....

On the three pack for rails yes. These are individual general release and the LBSC wagons are new. Good news all round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

On the three pack for rails yes. These are individual general release and the LBSC wagons are new. Good news all round.

The Rails wagons are the Diagram 1358 end door versions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The trouble with Internal User wagons (NCB or anybody else) is that they wouuldn't leave the premises of the business they belonged to.  

Most would be delivered by rail to the customer from works or hirer, Standard Wagon hired many ex BR owned wagons and subsequently hired them to industry with photo’s shotthem being delivered and then there were also wagons returning off hire or between locations.

• Like 1

Good afternoon folks (especially Melmerby),

House! brilliant choice from Rapido to do the Lockhurst Lane Co-operative wagon.

As a Coventry Kid I lived reasonably close to Lockhurst Lane and went over the road bridge next to Foleshill Station numerous times in the family car. Cycled over it many more.

Saves me having to build the Slaters kit version now, can use the base kit for another Coventry coal merchant with POWSides transfers.

Thanks Andy/Corbs, now, how about Settle Speakman, Queenborough please?

Cheers, Nigel.

😂

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info.
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Not only the Rails 3 packs, but also the additions for LBSC, NE and additional SECR ones can be found in an additional thread here: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

As a Coventry Kid I lived reasonably close to Lockhurst Lane and went over the road bridge next to Foleshill Station numerous times in the family car. Cycled over it many more.

Saves me having to build the Slaters kit version now, can use the base kit for another Coventry coal merchant with POWSides transfers.

Do you remember Volmax (Foleshill Road IIRC)?

An Aladdin's cave of items.

I'm not from Coventry but spent a fair few years working there in periods for the GPO at various GEC works.

• Like 2

Hello Melmerby,

I remember the name Volmax, IIRC it was close to the ring road end of the Foleshill Road.

As you say, an Aladin's cave. I think my first bicycle came from there, a Moulton small wheel type.

Edit: My dad also worked for GEC for around 25years, based at Copeswood, in the telecoms design office.

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I have to admit that colourful PO wagons are one of the reasons I sometimes wish I'd stuck with Big Four rather than switching to early BR 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2