Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Are there any models which have been made you never saw in real life (and you still feel the pain)

• RMweb Premium

The only Western I never saw was D1005 Venturer this was the first model I bought for a model railway I didn’t have at that time, when I saw it @ Polperro it was a must for me, just wondered if anyone else has the same situation and bought a model because …

The APT-P probably falls into that category. I've seen the preserved one, but I never saw it or travelled on it when it was in service, despite it being in operation at a time when I was a regular rail user. But I lived in East Anglia at the time, and the APT-P was strictly WCML, which was the other side of the country and didn't offer a route that would have been useful to me. So I never encountered it. 

• Like 1

The Blue Pullman. I had a card from Kellogg’s corn flakes depicting this DMU and I hoped to see it on my occasional trips to Manchester London Road. Unfortunately being only 4 or 5 at the time I didn’t know it went from Central station and no one explained that to me. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hibelroad said:

The Blue Pullman. I had a card from Kellogg’s corn flakes depicting this DMU and I hoped to see it on my occasional trips to Manchester London Road. Unfortunately being only 4 or 5 at the time I didn’t know it went from Central station and no one explained that to me. 

Saw the Pullmans on the WR but never on the MR, I have walked up the Monsal Trail and often thought of these and other traction slogging up the bank to Bakewell and over the Monsal Viaduct 

• Like 1

I've modelled the Hershey Railway of Cuba as it was in 1958, but sadly it and the steam at other Cuban sugar mills are now a shadow of their relatively recent former self with just one electrified service on one of the branches. Although there is a lot of local optimism, nothing has been done and is unlikely to be in the current climate.

Edited by 298
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

Saw the Pullmans on the WR but never on the MR, I have walked up the Monsal Trail and often thought of these and other traction slogging up the bank to Bakewell and over the Monsal Viaduct 

The most iconic view I ever had of the Midland Pullman was from the breakfast room of Ravenstor Youth Hostel in the late 1960 - Easter 1967, I think.

It had snowed heavily the previous day and night, and the blue and white livery of the train stood out clearly, even though the train was on the opposite side of the valley from the hostel.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

I was born 50 years too late to see the era I'm interested in 😅 There is much I wish I could have witnessed or experienced. The Bluebell Railway is as close as I'll ever get!

Edit: just realised I managed to totally misread the title and thought we were talking about real trains, must have been a long day 😅

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

On 18/04/2023 at 15:55, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I was born 50 years too late to see the era I'm interested in 😅 There is much I wish I could have witnessed or experienced. The Bluebell Railway is as close as I'll ever get!

I wasn't born too late to see what I'm primarily interested in, but I was born on the wrong Continent... 🙄🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but financially only. On a pre-loved list of locomotives I saw an HO 0-6-2+2-6-0 du Bousquet for £1500, allegedly as one of a limited run of ten locos. Gnashing of teeth, but no weakening of grip on wallet. Such a beautiful loco. Such an unaffordable price.

Mine would have to be HS4000 'Kestrel' - I was living in the far South West when it was active, too far away from its ER stamping ground and by the time I had the means to get there it had departed for Russia (I remember seeing it reported in the railway mags at the time and being disappointed at the news). I still sort of regret not buying the Heljan model when prices were reasonable, because it was such an impressive-looking beast, but I had no need for It then and I still don't (I don't need a 'Deltic' either but I've got a Bachmann model........but it only cost me sixty-eight quid and I've renumbered it to 55003 'Meld' which I photographed on its Paddington to Cardiff run in October 1975 - that just scraped within my self-imposed justification requirements, something 'Kestrel' was never going to achieve!)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

DP2.  Imagine if all the Class 50s had been like that.

Fortunately, they didn't all end up like DP2, although one came somewhat close! 50 041 Bulwark.

A kit rather than r-t-r, but I always had a soft spot for the Midland banking loco "Big Bertha". I had a print of it on my wall when I was little, and I can still remember (as a Thomas-mad 3 year old who thought steam trains were 'alive') being quite upset when I was told it had been scrapped. Still think it's a shame, I wish it had ended up somewhere like Birmingham Industrial Museum...

On a more humble note, the wasp-striped YEC DE2 diesel shunters, availible as a kit from Judith Edge. They were synonymous with the Round Oak Steelworks system near where I grew up- my childhood home was built on the trackbed of one of the older branchlines of the erstwhile system (the semi-independant Gibbons Railway). A few of the DE2's still existed when I was little, I have a vague memory of seeing them lined up for scrap, but I wish I could have seen them in action. Still, at least I've seen one of the surviving DE-class prototypes, preserved in Sheffield.

And I have an o-scale Andrew Barclay kit on the one-day pile, to turn into either "Gibbons" or "Emily", the locomotives that ran on the branch my old house was built on :)

• RMweb Premium

For me starting to get serious about 1971 I missed out on a load of the early diesel classes such as 15s 23s etc working, I managed as my Grand Parents lived in Wales to see some of the WR Hydraulics but missed out on seeing the 22 working. I also never saw many of the ScR early ones. So loads really but probably the 22 is the one for me

On 03/05/2023 at 17:21, Ben B said:

A kit rather than r-t-r, but I always had a soft spot for the Midland banking loco "Big Bertha". I had a print of it on my wall when I was little, and I can still remember (as a Thomas-mad 3 year old who thought steam trains were 'alive') being quite upset when I was told it had been scrapped. Still think it's a shame, I wish it had ended up somewhere like Birmingham Industrial Museum...

On a more humble note, the wasp-striped YEC DE2 diesel shunters, availible as a kit from Judith Edge. They were synonymous with the Round Oak Steelworks system near where I grew up- my childhood home was built on the trackbed of one of the older branchlines of the erstwhile system (the semi-independant Gibbons Railway). A few of the DE2's still existed when I was little, I have a vague memory of seeing them lined up for scrap, but I wish I could have seen them in action. Still, at least I've seen one of the surviving DE-class prototypes, preserved in Sheffield.

And I have an o-scale Andrew Barclay kit on the one-day pile, to turn into either "Gibbons" or "Emily", the locomotives that ran on the branch my old house was built on :)

Similar to Big Bertha and it was in the Observers Book of British Steam by H C Casserley that I saw it.

Decapod available from SE Finecast.

spacer.png

If we are restricting it to RTR it has to be 101. The subject of my first proper train set and my first model that wasn't a hand me down. Still got it.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do not know if I saw a 22 in action, but late 60s I had travelled to Cornwall a few times.

I can remember high density DMUs just about

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a package containing a Dapol Class 52 arriving on my doorstep this morning, I was reminded that whilst I was a Fairwood Junction (nr Westbury) last Summer, taking photos of the endless precession of IEP's, interspersed with the odd DMU and Class 66, I had thought to myself how I would have liked to be there in the early 70's, with all the Diesel Hydraulics, etc. Unfortunately I was born the year after the Westerns were finally withdrawn, so i've never seen any of the hydraulics in service, only on videos or in photos (Railway Elegance is one of my most prized books on my railway bookshelf). I'm not sure i've even seen one in Preservation yet..... I think a trip to Bury or the SVR might be in order.....

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1