Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

... seeing a church over a tunnel.

... private owner 5/7-plankers behind a 66.

... station lamps on in daylight.

... people in shiny clothes*.

... bicycles that stand up on their own.

* apart from a curious incident with a neighbour.

Another one being a coal mine over a tunnel 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

5/7 plank mineral/coal wagons with bodies 17' 6" long mounted on 10' wheelbase steel underframes.

The one thing I don't look fondly back on Airfix/GMR for.

Hornby and Dapol, I presume you have dustbins outside your premises, please use them.

John   

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello again

Island platforms that are so narrow as to give the Health & Safety Executive apoplexy and platform end ramps so steep that they make the north face of the Eiger look easy.🙂

Brian

(PS I appreciate that many do not have the luxury of reasonable space, but if your platforms are wafer thin and end ramps almost vertical, then you are possibly trying to get a quart into a pint pot. Rule 1 always applies and people do as they wish with their railways - it's just that I don't like seeing such things as have been alluded to at exhibitions.)

Edited by BMacdermott
Spelling
  • Like 5

There's a church in Camden Square over the MML just out of St Pancras, and a cricket ground over a tunnel on the Chiltern Main Line just out of Marylebone. St Stephen's Canonbury is practically on top of the Moorgate branch from Finsbury Park. But such locations are somewhat atypical, and rarely modelled!

Traditional, rural Anglican churches anywhere near a railway line are pretty rare, let alone on top of a tunnel. Most historic church buildings are at the centre of the original village, but when the railways came they typically built their tracks and station on the edge of the village because that was where the available land was. Over time, the centre of gravity of the settlement typically shifted to the railway station, and away from the church, so the buildings closer to the station tended to be newer. Where a church is close to a railway line, it's typically either where the church building itself is newer, or in major urban areas (such as London) where the railway simply demolished or tunnelled a route through an already built-up area.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I invariably wear shiny clothes* and a trilby, and I always stand perfectly straight with my feet slightly apart and my arms a little out from my sides. I have a note from a surgeon confirming that my shoulder joints are anatomically impossible.

* I am not Andy's neighbour.

My favourite pub has a railway running through the cellar, but it makes the beer taste funny (that could be the effect of the churchyard next door though).

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

There's a church in Camden Square over the MML just out of St Pancras, and a cricket ground over a tunnel on the Chiltern Main Line just out of Marylebone. St Stephen's Canonbury is practically on top of the Moorgate branch from Finsbury Park. But such locations are somewhat atypical, and rarely modelled!

Traditional, rural Anglican churches anywhere near a railway line are pretty rare, let alone on top of a tunnel. Most historic church buildings are at the centre of the original village, but when the railways came they typically built their tracks and station on the edge of the village because that was where the available land was. Over time, the centre of gravity of the settlement typically shifted to the railway station, and away from the church, so the buildings closer to the station tended to be newer. Where a church is close to a railway line, it's typically either where the church building itself is newer, or in major urban areas (such as London) where the railway simply demolished or tunnelled a route through an already built-up area.

But buildings almost always have more than the equivalent depth of a sheet of plywood between the ground floor and the crown of the tunnel below (and if they don't they will usually have been built with engineered support).  You don't see an ordinary section of town centre without space for foundations above the railway below it.  For that matter, town centres sitting on perfectly square plots raised above the surrounding landscape by 20' or so are pretty unusual.

• Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

For that matter, town centres sitting on perfectly square plots raised above the surrounding landscape by 20' or so are pretty unusual.

You've clearly never played Sim City either 😀

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

"... station lamps on in daylight."

Back in the 80s, before the Elmers End to Sanderstead line was closed, it only opperated in the rush hours.  Selsdon station was still lit by gas!  So one day in the autum the gas lights were lit and one day the folllowing spring they were turned off, as the station was only open in dark in the winter and during daylight in the summer and the station was unstaffed.  So the lights were on all winter.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

Nor branch line 14xx locos with Autocoach running at 150mph or facing points off a main line into a siding.🙂

Brian

I'll give you the 14 xx and Autocoach, but Walnut Tree West Signal Box, on the old Barry Railway line that ran from Tynycaeau Junction to Penrhos Junction, controlled the access to the dolomite works sidings on the western side of Taffs Well by a facing point (with lock).  However, it did not have a signal. (Brian Mills kindly sent me a photo of this, but I do not have permission to reproduce it here.)

I know...

There's always one!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There was a series of articles in the Railway Modeller, by a well regarded builder of a narrow gauge layout. It was built over a number of years, with sections added.

After completing the last part, he realised his mistake - the sea port was at the top, for the loaded coal trains to run up to!

Sorry, I can't think of the layout name or builder.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

There was a series of articles in the Railway Modeller, by a well regarded builder of a narrow gauge layout. It was built over a number of years, with sections added.

After completing the last part, he realised his mistake - the sea port was at the top, for the loaded coal trains to run up to!

Sorry, I can't think of the layout name or builder.

Probably not Newton?

• Funny 7