Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

My favourite pub has a railway running through the cellar, but it makes the beer taste funny (that could be the effect of the churchyard next door though).

Reminds me of the Thurland Street - Weekday Cross tunnel on the GCLE near Nottingham Victoria, where the navvies “accidentally” tunnelled into it during construction!

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Island platforms that are so narrow as to give the Health & Safety Executive apoplexy and platform end ramps so steep that they make the north face of the Eiger look easy.🙂

I acknowledge that these are both underground, one in London and one in Glasgow, but...

20230318_074620.jpg
image.png.17ee178005c980cac6a1a403bc44b567.png

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Willie Whizz said:

Reminds me of the Thurland Street - Weekday Cross tunnel on the GCLE near Nottingham Victoria, where the navvies “accidentally” tunnelled into it during construction!

Don't forget the pub near the station that has a canal running through it - Those moorings were very popular, as before the relaxing of licencing laws said barges were "resident" so could drink as long into the night as the landlord permitted 😁

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

For that matter, town centres sitting on perfectly square plots raised above the surrounding landscape by 20' or so are pretty unusual.

Rye comes pretty close - the old town isn't perfectly square, but is roughly 4-sided at least...

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

or a plastic bodied locomotive with a sodding great electric motor driving it on four foot gauge track.

and a 300ft sheer drop just outside the railway fence.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's brilliant, it brought its own rock to sit on.

And as a added bonus never have I ever - the four track tunnel

40129 at Tiviot Dale, Stockport - 12th March, 1978

Except of course it isn't, it's a four track overbridge and underneath were the end of loop points leading to the twin track single bore tunnel.  The bus on the bridge cliche would also fit nicely here too and be perfectly plausible.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

True Skinnylinny, and the Glasgow subway does have a rather nice Gilbert Scott church over it.

https://gilbertscott.org/st-marys-episcopal-cathedral-great-western-road-glasgow/

As it happens I can see the top half of the spire from my kitchen window, though the church was built 40 years before the subway was tunnelled. 

14 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

...Or hearing a locomotive at the same volume for a quarter mile and more.  

Being serious for a moment (sorry!), that's one of the reasons why I'm still not really convinced by DCC sound. It works OK in an physically restricted environment, such as a shunting plank, where you could reasonably expect most sounds to carry equally well. But on a big roundy roundy, it doesn't scale to trains at the far end of the line from my vantage point. And the complete absence of a doppler effect is a huge barrier to realism. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Skinnylinny

The Angel station (London) has been rebuilt as that platform did  give the HSE apoplexy.🙂

My comment was directed at 'wildly narrow' island platforms on 'main line' layouts, where train speeds would be very high.

And, adding to the point made my Happy Hippo, my 'gripe' was with exhibition layouts where there has been little or no attention to real detail and the modeller puts - such as - a 2-wagon coal siding off a main line facing point. There are, no doubt,  plenty of examples of 'sidings off main line facing points' - Exeter Central carriage sidings being one.

Brian

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Island platforms that are so narrow as to give the Health & Safety Executive apoplexy and platform end ramps so steep that they make the north face of the Eiger look easy.🙂

You haven’t ever travelled on the Glasgow Subway, have you?

Also has 4ft gauge track and is a pure "roundy-roundy".

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

And as a added bonus never have I ever - the four track tunnel

40129 at Tiviot Dale, Stockport - 12th March, 1978

Except of course it isn't, it's a four track overbridge and underneath were the end of loop points leading to the twin track single bore tunnel.  The bus on the bridge cliche would also fit nicely here too and be perfectly plausible.

See - if you put a couple of layers between the tunnel and the building it all looks a lot more believable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How about…

Coaches with doors that never open.

Services to a station where nobody ever boards a train.

Ground which has puddles but where it never rains.

Passengers who never actually move, even if they appear to be walking or running.

Rivers or streams that look wet but which never move.

Flat earth, not spherical.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Skinnylinny

The Angel station (London) has been rebuilt as that platform did  give the HSE apoplexy.🙂

My comment was directed at 'wildly narrow' island platforms on 'main line' layouts, where train speeds would be very high.

And, adding to the point made my Happy Hippo, my 'gripe' was with exhibition layouts where there has been little or no attention to real detail and the modeller puts - such as - a 2-wagon coal siding off a main line facing point. There are, no doubt,  plenty of examples of 'sidings off main line facing points' - Exeter Central carriage sidings being one.

Brian

Although, in the operational sense, Platform 2 at Central was effectively treated as a terminal road in steam days. The only movements that ran through were goods workings and they used the middle lines. Nothing really ran over the facing points other than when slowly departing from the platform.

Down passenger trains were almost universally split, often with part of the formation being placed in the aforementioned sidings, and many also receiving a change of locomotive, before proceeding "downstairs" to St. Davids and beyond.

Unlike today, Exmouth branch trains didn't penetrate into (G)WR territory. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

How about…

Passengers who never actually move, even if they appear to be walking or running.

Though I have seen quite a few baseboards that do not conform to your final observation. 😁

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

13 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

How about…

The first time I went to Warley was when I was taken there by my parents aged around eight or nine. I remember seeing an N Gauge layout that had a stream with running water. Name escapes me but I think it was modern image as it had a Voyager and IIRC 66 on it. 

Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg also has a large inlet for the Scandinavian section of real water, which the model ships navigate through.

4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again

Brian

Salford Crescent has I believe been subject to HSE inspections because of it's narrow platforms.

John P

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Although, in the operational sense, Platform 2 at Central was effectively treated as a terminal road in steam days. The only movements that ran through were goods workings and they used the middle lines. Nothing really ran over the facing points other than when slowly departing from the platform.

Hello John

Agreed but the point I am making is that the facing points were there for valid operational reasons - not simply such as a randomly positioned 2-wagon coal siding.

Brian

• Agree 1