Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

11 hours ago, SZ said:

So there was one black train driver in 1962, not sure what point you are making. Are you agreeing with @TheQ?

I'm not really making a point. I just thought it was interesting. I didn't know the name of Britain's first black train driver until I found this, or when he got the job. I suspect few other people did too.

Edited by BachelorBoy
missed out the crucial word "not"
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Philou said:

There was one for a long time opposite the junction High Street with Castle Street in Cardiff immediately adjacent to the entrance to the castle. It was half the width of the Tardis and probably not much room inside (only kidding, there wasn't any room as it only contained a telephone on a shelf). There was a notice on the outside of it saying that it was also for public use (presumably linked directly to the police switchboard). I saw the orange light on a couple of occasions blinking, but never saw a PC answer it. I believe it was scrapped when personal radios and Panda cars arrived.

Cheers,

Philip

Have you got a map for that?!

Ooops, sorry, wrong thread!

Mike.

I don’t know about train drivers, but bus companies were often very slow to introduce black drivers and conductors. My father worked for Trent Motor Traction and I remember as a lad hearing him comment that some of his colleagues were less 

than happy about the prospect - I’ll put it no stronger than that - although when it eventually happened I don’t think there was any “bother” and it quickly became unremarkable. 

That wasn’t always the case in some places though - Bristol being, I believe being a particularly prominent example of a “colour bar” - and it should be understood that the managements were often at this time heavily swayed by the views of their workers and their Unions. Times have certainly changed …

• Like 3

On 22/05/2023 at 10:51, Enterprisingwestern said:

Have you got a map for that?!

As it so happens, I do! :))))

In between times, I found that the call box is a model PA3 again designed by Tench. The Cardiff one (IIRC) differed by being square-cut at the top and had and orange light rather than a red one. It didn't carry the City of London arms neither, but what it had as a symbol (if it had one), I don't remember.

PA3 PoliceCallBox.pdf

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:
5 hours ago, DenysW said:

Clearly a fake. Current BR policy is to supply a ramp.

Probably why they've not got on!

Look again. Some of the blighters are on the first step. Unknown the attrition rate of those that fell between the platform and the carriage.

• Funny 4

53 minutes ago, Philou said:

As it so happens, I do! :))))

In between times, I found that the call box is a model PA3 again designed by Tench. The Cardiff one (IIRC) differed by being square-cut at the top and had and orange light rather than a red one. It didn't carry the City of London arms neither, but what it had as a symbol (if it had one), I don't remember.

PA3 PoliceCallBox.pdf 444.25 kB · 2 downloads

Cheers,

Philip

Phillip,

I can remember another one in Cardiff on the corner of Greenway Road and Rhyl Road in Rumney - only ever saw the amber light flashing on one occasion 😀

Dave

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DenysW said:

Look again. Some of the blighters are on the first step. Unknown the attrition rate of those that fell between the platform and the carriage.

That's  got me thinking of 'Lemmings'

"Let's go!"

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 16/04/2023 at 04:23, BachelorBoy said:

Things I've seen frequently in the real world, but rarely on layouts.

1) Deep shadows

2) Black and South Asian people

My layout is based on the 1960s and these to have been on it since it was populated. I was pleased to get a set of people with these two in it. Just two people of colour of colour is probably about right for South Devon in the 1960s. I don’t expect anyone has noticed them at exhibitions. They seem to be enjoying their holiday though.

IMG_2400.jpeg.19c58113209ec10747bac0bd01c92e0f.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Chris M said:

My layout is based on the 1960s and these to have been on it since it was populated. I was pleased to get a set of people with these two in it. Just two people of colour of colour is probably about right for South Devon in the 1960s. I don’t expect anyone has noticed them at exhibitions. They seem to be enjoying their holiday though.

IMG_2400.jpeg.19c58113209ec10747bac0bd01c92e0f.jpeg

I'm glad they are. My distinct recollection in talking to our delightful office tea-lady in 1967 is that her family had stopped making holiday bookings, because when they turned up they were told there was some mistake and they hadn't got a booking at all.....

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2023 at 22:47, Steamport Southport said:

I think that's a misquote. I saw them occasionally.

Same with the AA and RAC boxes they started disappearing quite rapidly in the 1970s.

http://www.the-telephone-box.co.uk/furniture/aa-sentry-box/

http://www.the-telephone-box.co.uk/furniture/rac-sentry-box/

Jason

image.png.b2e679e5bdd6db5c19ad56e2a98d827f.png

A591 Dunmail Raise Cumbria

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

when they turned up they were told there was some mistake and they hadn't got a booking at all.....

That's funny, it's also happened to this white Anglo Saxon on a few occassions, once in Paris, twice in Egypt. (Luxor & Aswan)

Must be something about us they didn't like.😄

When we ran the guest house in Keswick we had a few South Asians stay with us (both Hindu & Muslim) but never any Afro-Carribeans.

We also very rarely saw any in Keswick.

We also had some Orthodox Jews. TBH they were a PITA although we just smiled and accepted their unusual requests.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 6 months later...