Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, darrel said:

Cars waiting at level crossings and none of them have drivers or passengers in them. 

Buses at bus stops and none of them have drivers or passengers. 

I plead not guilty M'Lud.  My busses on the bridge have a driver, conductor and punters in them. 😉

Appledore busses.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Island platforms that are so narrow as to give the Health & Safety Executive apoplexy and platform end ramps so steep that they make the north face of the Eiger look easy.🙂

There was always Haresfield in Gloucester. Not strictly an island, but the very narrow platform was between two tracks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, darrel said:

Cars waiting at level crossings and none of them have drivers or passengers in them. 

Steam locos without crews...

• Like 1

Just now, bodmin16 said:

Screenshot_20230414_215638_Facebook.jpg

This reminds me of some of the stations I encountered in Bulgaria. Particularly one called 'Bu**eroff'... Now before moderators get upset that is exactly how it was pronounced in English, the local spelling being impossible on a European QWERTY board.

BTW I wonder how many Western tourists can say they've driven a Bulgarian train at 90 MPH down past the communist (Bulgarian/ Russian) Black Sea Naval dockyards during the height of the cold war.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, darrel said:

But they have sat there for hours waiting for the crossing gates to open and eventually they have all got out and walked home.

• Funny 12

8 hours ago, Nick C said:

Steam locos without crews...

I think that cuts both ways though - I’ve always found it much easier to overlook the lack of crew in the 2-3 locomotives that are moving vs having a backdrop of 18-20 on shed, in rows, all with crews….

consequently, I don’t crew my locos. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Or the correct headlamps.... 😁  

12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, or even head/tail lamps at all.

This seemed to be quite rife at York, even on layouts I thought should have known better.

Mike.

PLEASE - don't start all that again...!!!

(can't be bothered to find & link to The Johnster's topic that thrashed this out recently)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Or the correct headlamps.... 😁  

Just model the Southern, nice convenient uniform route codes (unless you model a major junction)... 😇

Tail lamps only become an issue in termini when the "lesser of two evils" argument comes into play unless you are very handy with tweezers. 

Big roundy-rounds are easy; just run dedicated up and down sets with everything correct.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5

Buses on a bridge?  Of course!

At the south end of Nottingham Victoria was Parliament Street bridge which had several bus and trolley bus stops. And as most of them were “fare stages”, used as timing points , it was common to see the vehicles stood there for some while without moving. 

Realism sometimes IS a cliché!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Never mind a church - do I not recall some sort of problem with a supermarket being built over a tunnel? 

..or a university- Tyler Hill Tunnel on the old Canterbury & Whitstable line which passes under the University of Kent site- with predictable results in 1974 when part of the tunnel collapsed, and a part of the university's Cornwallis Building had to be demolished after it subsided by about a metre....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

PLEASE - don't start all that again...!!!

(can't be bothered to find & link to The Johnster's topic that thrashed this out recently)

I was being facetious as I'm well aware of the recent thread where the subject was thrashed to death without resolution.

It seems to me that Andy's OP refers to simple errors easily corrected by more careful observation of the prototype, rather than things everyone knows about but are technically hard to implement.  Hence buildings too close to tunnels, but not references to gauge - the one being easy to fix with a little more scenery, the other being a veteran can of worms.  Lamps, of course, fall into the latter category.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

It seems to me that Andy's OP refers to simple errors easily corrected by more careful observation of the prototype, rather than things everyone knows about but are technically hard to implement.

Exactly this. Dodging the difficult is understandable but incorporating the ridiculous seems to be an objective in too many cases.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AY Mod said:

Exactly this. Dodging the difficult is understandable but incorporating the ridiculous seems to be an objective in too many cases.

Perhaps encouraged by the eagerness with which weird edge cases are sought out to justify the modelling of highly unusual situations.  Prototype for Everything is all very well but it needs to be handled with great care or you end up with a freak show at best.  In my opinion a model of the typical will usually be more convincing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8