Ellis Clark Trains & Clark Railworks 4mm OO Quad Arts

Thanks to those who replied to my query regarding VAT. I have had an email from Amey Spink at Ellis Clark confirming they will indeed deduct VAT prior to despatch. Great communications! Order to be placed. I have pix of these at Nottingham Victoria on excursions to Skeggy, must have been interesting on the return journey with all the pitmen having supped at leisure during the day.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A small clarification of one of my earlier postings...

I was under the impression that some GN Quad Arts were transferred to the NER. In fact - according to Railway Observer March 1958 - it was actually some GE Quad Arts.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, Ellis Clark Trains said:

Whoops!

Changed this now and re-attached the correct chart :)

SKUChart.jpg.d44fddc74f69e3a7696f68149b30adcf.jpg

<pedant mode>

It seems that the pattern of vehicle numbering increases by increments of 1 as we move from the brake end to the middle of the train within each half set. The composite half of set 90 appears to be the exception. Have you numbered them the right way round? Shame to issue incorrect instruction to the factory on what is an otherwise excellent project.

</pedant mode>

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 45568 said:

Thanks to those who replied to my query regarding VAT. I have had an email from Amey Spink at Ellis Clark confirming they will indeed deduct VAT prior to despatch. Great communications! Order to be placed. I have pix of these at Nottingham Victoria on excursions to Skeggy, must have been interesting on the return journey with all the pitmen having supped at leisure during the day.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Just as well they had drop down windows!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Tramshed said:

<pedant mode>

It seems that the pattern of vehicle numbering increases by increments of 1 as we move from the brake end to the middle of the train within each half set. The composite half of set 90 appears to be the exception. Have you numbered them the right way round? Shame to issue incorrect instruction to the factory on what is an otherwise excellent project.

</pedant mode>

Hi there,

Thank you very much for pointing this out.

I was so concerned about getting the new chart out, I forgot to check the order of the numbers.

Chris (our researcher) has double-checked all the running numbers - to save my sanity.

I've attached it below.

All the best,

Ellis.

SKUChart.jpg.1383a841474c7b2314c5467eb25d2fe8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

For anyone who has not managed to get to the North Norfolk Railway to see the Quad-art they might enjoy this video and a couple of photos taken at Holt

Luverly jubberly - is that their Diagram 120 Pigeon Van tucked away at the end of the set?

Be really good if someone produced a model of that - 4mm and 7mm preferably... 😍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Luverly jubberly - is that their Diagram 120 Pigeon Van tucked away at the end of the set?

Be really good if someone produced a model of that - 4mm and 7mm preferably... 😍

Now there's an idea for a different sort of event for a Heritage line to put on - pigeon racing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Isinglass has a Pigeon van, not sure about the diagram:

https://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/3d-model-railway-shop#!/~/product/id=39943&prid=293&ctid=22&tp=pv

I'm corrently building one, now waiting for some parts to arrive. Will indeed go great together when the Clark Quads arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

https://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/3d-model-railway-shop#!/~/product/id=39943&prid=293&ctid=22&tp=pv

I'm corrently building one, now waiting for some parts to arrive. Will indeed go great together when the Clark Quads arrive.

It does say on the NNR

image.png.da9a6f6fdc18a2bee76a3c421dc300d1.png

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Johan DC said:

I can't get any further than the title page.

Another question for the experts...

Did the quad-arts 'pair for life' to make up the 8 car sets? The table shows 'third' and 'composite' half sets making up set 90, set 74 and so forth, but I imagine the advantage of being able to split them in the middle (rather than have an 'oct-art' so to speak) is that they could be taken out of service for repair and maintenance while keeping the 'good' half available. If 97 were built, this suggests at least one 'spare'.

As this is a fairly expensive project (this is not a rant about price - I understand the reasons) some might be tempted to, for example, pair a set with a ducketted/recessed guards compartment with one without. Would this be prototypical? Presumably the ability to split up an 8-car set had advantages when it came to repainting. During transition periods, would this have extended to pairing teak with crimson or crimson with maroon?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Johan DC said:

The Chivers kit is cheap, easy and makes up into a superb model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Tramshed said:

Another question for the experts...

Did the quad-arts 'pair for life' to make up the 8 car sets? The table shows 'third' and 'composite' half sets making up set 90, set 74 and so forth, but I imagine the advantage of being able to split them in the middle (rather than have an 'oct-art' so to speak) is that they could be taken out of service for repair and maintenance while keeping the 'good' half available. If 97 were built, this suggests at least one 'spare'.

As this is a fairly expensive project (this is not a rant about price - I understand the reasons) some might be tempted to, for example, pair a set with a ducketted/recessed guards compartment with one without. Would this be prototypical? Presumably the ability to split up an 8-car set had advantages when it came to repainting. During transition periods, would this have extended to pairing teak with crimson or crimson with maroon?

As a general rule yes they were constructed as and paired for life, but there were accidents, carriages destroyed by enemy action in WW2, and some condemned earlier that resulted in some changes. I would have to sit down with the transcriptions of the records, crosschecked against Harris and other sources, to provide any form of a tabulation...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

As a general rule yes they were constructed as and paired for life, but there were accidents, carriages destroyed by enemy action in WW2, and some condemned earlier that resulted in some changes. I would have to sit down with the transcriptions of the records, crosschecked against Harris and other sources, to provide any form of a tabulation...

Probably not worth the effort (unless you want something to contemplate over a pint of the Sole Bay nectar) but thanks all the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was quite happy with my Kirk ones below until these were announced.

I never got around to building the other half set though.

So I am now pondering if they will be able to live with an Ellis half set that I am certain will be much more refined ...

IMG_3835.jpg.b675765dbde7a67822bf6f74662dde71.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dominion said:

So I am now pondering if they will be able to live with an Ellis half set that I am certain will be much more refined ...

I'd be very happy if I'd made those that well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dominion said:

The teak effect you've got on those is something to be proud of - they look stunning!

All the best,

Ellis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was great to be able to look closely at samples of these coaches at the Great Electric Train Show at the weekend, and discuss them with the Ellis Clark reps.  There really is a lot of very fine detail on them, and a lot of thought has gone into the design both regarding the articulation / coupling arrangements, and potential conversion by purchasers to EM gauge, etc.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2